cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl702ZC 100 disk usage issue

GuiltyByDesign
Level 7
Hi all

Having issues with my ROG Laptop, bought it brand new back in June 2018, had no issues for a long time, start up was in 5-10 seconds and would run smooth, could run games, movies, browsers all the same time, no issues. however recently I've been experiencing 100% disk usage, not only on start-up but pretty much constantly.

There are no processes showing that they are using high disk usage, I've tried ending a few, I've gone through a list of 10 things to do to:

Way 1: Restart Your System
Way 2: Update Windows
Way 3: Check For Malware
Way 4: Disable Windows Search
Way 5: Stop the Superfetch Service
Way 6: Change Energy Options from Balanced to High Performance
Way 7: Temporarily Turn Off Your Antivirus Software
Way 8: Reset Virtual Memory in Windows 10
Way 9: Run Check Disk
Way 10: Change Settings in Google Chrome and Skype

none of these worked, I've fixed some corrupted windows issues and I've also wiped the hard drive on it and reinstalled windows 10 to start from scratch however it's still the same.

I am not the most technical person around so I'm limited as to what I can do, I'm assume this now points towards a hardware issue and not a software issue?

While looking up on the internet today I did find something new that may help but I haven't tried it yet:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-percent-disk-usage-problem

looking to look into that tonight.

the other advise I've come accross is to replace the HDD with a SSD, again, it doesn't mean much to me.

I'm wondering if anyone else has come accross this issue or can help? Right not it takes between 5 - 15 minutes to start up and is just slow, so slow that is becomes unresponsive and I'm forced to hold down the power button to start over, can't do anything with it.

thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

SMOKESKULL
Level 7
You will be amazed with the computers speed by upgrading to a ssd. Backup your pictures and import data. Do a clean install of windows. You can keep your old hard drive in a usb enclosure and scan it with antivirus after you get your new ssd working. Sometimes bad things are only visible when there scanned out of the system.

thanks, yea from what I read I figured that it would be a big improvement, but I kinda wanted to get to the bottom of the issue as well to understand it, if it was my HDD failing etc then I'get it, or was it a software issuee somewhere (perhaps it'll come to light if I scan it as an external drive as you mentioned). I guess I'll wait and see.

are there any other people with ideas in the meantime?

hi GuiltyByDesign,

if your laptop comes with intel processor means, then you must Reinstall intel RST driver download from intel official website.

You must delete possible tasks registered under the task scheduler.
you must disable running background applications those are using battery power. these applications are invisible to us. but it can be seen in battery options.

you must unwanted services startup type to manual.
use firewall to block network communication to certain apps which are uninstalled by you already, but still partiall apps are not deleted, find those and delete it.

you must replace HDD to SSD.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Robert0213
Level 8

My issue is fixed by disabling Sysmain service. here