cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxiumus XI Formula - PCIx16 slot 1 not working

CuzDawg3
Level 7
I moved my computer today to organize some of my wiring, and when I turned it back on, the display never turned on. After some troubleshooting (seeing the GPU not showing up in BIOS in the PCI slots, trying other monitors) I decided to try and move it to PCI slot 2, which is only x8. Good for me that the GPU is detected now, which was really stressing me out since it's an Strix 3090 OC, and I was about to weep if it was toasted. Regardless, the card seems okay, but now I'm trying to figure out what happened to the x16 slot. I'm not on the BAR bios and using the 1802 bios from December. So far everything else seems to be okay. . .

Anyone have any thoughts? Or other things I can try? Or is my MB still under warranty? It's a year and a half old (purchased 10/10/19.)

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, if the problem occurred after moving the system you can try reseating the CPU and cooler, making sure there is even mounting pressure.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Sweet. I'll check that out.

Could the CPU affect the PCI slot? Everything else seems to be working fine.

CuzDawg3 wrote:
Sweet. I'll check that out.

Could the CPU affect the PCI slot? Everything else seems to be working fine.

It can do if not seated correctly or there is socket damage, yes. Check the PCIE slot for any visible debris or damage, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

So. . .time for an update:

I did reseat the card again in the PCIx16 slot, and looked for bent pins and damage, and for some mysterious reason, it is working again. However, now the oddball issue is that the card is running at x8 in the slot. Any ideas on why that might happen? (Does the hot swap BIOS on the card change that with the toggle switch perhaps?)

Thx!

Edit: no joy. When I put the glass back on the case, the x1 slot stopped working again. I do have replacement coolant in route so I can pull the whole board and re-seat the CPU. I'll re-update after that is all done.