cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG329Q Monitor Uncommanded and Irregular Brightness Dimming

sobolo
Level 7
I recently bought a PG329Q QHD Gaming Monitor and am suffering from already well reported issues with this monitor. Just posting this to rack up the complaints.

I really like the monitor, it's a good balance between frames and resolution. Frames win games, right!

However, when the refresh rate of the monitor is set to anything higher then 144Hz, the screen starts flickering when playing games in HDR and local dimming on. I had the same issue with a Samsung G7 and they implemented, via firmware, a VRR control option to eliminate the flickering; this worked but introduced micro stuttering in games. So I RMA'd the unit; I want as little compromise as possible.
I rather run the PG329Q at 144Hz (iso 175Hz) without flickering and micro stutters, but HDR and local dimming on. But this is unfortunately not the only problem. I also encounter uncommanded and what seems like, random brightness reductions while playing games in HDR, but also when e.g. browsing the web in SDR. It resembles an iPhone or iPad which reduces brightness when the unit gets too hot. So, the PG329Q will start to slowly reduce its brightness in stages. Sometimes after 5 minutes of PC time, sometimes after 3 hours. It doesn't matter what kind of content the monitor is displaying. I tried faster Display Port cables (just to make sure), but no solution. Switching the monitor OFF then ON or changing from GAME HDR to CINEMA HDR and back to GAME HDR restores max brightness for a random amount of time.

I hope ASUS can fix this problem with a firmware update; without introducing other issues, like micro stutters. I can always RMA the unit and stick with my old non HDR ROG monitor, but I really don't want to!

P.S.: It even happend while I was typing this post! So it really is a persistent occurrence.
2 REPLIES 2

Blake1
Level 10
Hello sobolo,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I have reported to related departments.

Hardware Unboxed make some really excellent monitor reviews, and quite frankly, all HDR gaming is awful up to now.
See
Best 1440p Gaming Monitors of 2021, Plus Best Value Picks - 6th July 2021 - Hardware Unboxed
Jump to the HDR section
20:41 - Best 1440p HDR Monitors
Which opens with, "if you're after a 1440p Gaming monitor with true HDR functionality, stop your search now because they don't exist".

The above, gives the PG329Q, the title of best 32" 1440p IPS Monitor, and the full review clearly states the HDR mode is not what you buy this monitor for.
Asus PG329Q Review, The Very Fast 32-Inch 1440p Gaming Monitor To Get - 19th Dec 2020 - Hardware Unb...

The fact that the HDR Dimming was by design, is clearly pointed out in this FAQ
[LCD monitor] After using the HDR function for a while, the brightness of display will become darker...
Last Update : 2021/04/28, so it's not totally clear when this FAQ first said this, but at worst case it was, just 5 days after your post.

Frankly getting full HDR 1400 is not trivial, with high refresh rate Gaming monitors, and the very first to do HDR well, has took that long to develop, it is last gen tech on pretty much everything else, and with a $3,000 price tag it ian't cheap, but is 4k on a 32" IPS
Asus PG32UQX Review, Insane HDR Gaming at an Insane Price - 9 Jul 2021 - Hardware Unboxed

It's likely going to be another year, or two before true HDR 1400, can join other Gaming Monitor features, and tick all the boxes for under a $1,000.
I knew I wasn't getting a true HDR capable monitor, only one exists, and as with all first in class products, it comes with extreme price, and the usual early adopter teething problems, with the main one being it's extremely long development time.
But if HDR is what you want, this is the only Gaming monitor that gives you that.

I reviewed all the options, before settling on buying the PG329Q, on 9th of July, knowing full well I wasn't going to use the feeble HDR 600 mode for anything more than a look and see, before turning it off for good. Which I have done.