cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AX11000 setup, speed issues on Wifi6?

ThoR_au
Level 7
hi all,

I have spent a lot of time trying to configure my GT-AX11000 but still have three issues with the WiFi. I am on the beta 9 firmware. All speeds below are local network speeds, not talking about internet speeds at all (FYI i have gigabit internet).

First, no matter what settings I apply, i am seeing poor wireless connection speeds from my Wifi6 compatible Samsung Galaxy Note 10+5G, max network connection speed i have ever seen is 1200 Mbps when the phone is right next to router. Even a couple feet away with nothing between this drops down to between 600-900 Mbps. I was under the impression Wifi6 should be 2400 Mbps? Can you get faster than 1200 Mbps with the AX11000?

Second, I am unable to enable 160Mhz/true AX on the second band 5Ghz-2. It is not an option in the Mhz selector, the 160 Mhz option is not available.

Third, my Wifi 5 devices are unable to connect to the 5Ghz Wifi 5 network, they can see it but time out when connecting. This is happening on Echo Dot, Lenovo tablet, Google home. They are able to connect to 2.4Ghz network.

I have attached screenshots of the three wireless network settings that i currently have.

Any recommendations on alternative settings that would improve things welcome.

Many thanks
ThoR
4 REPLIES 4

Saltgrass
Level 13
There are many things that are involved in your situation.

5G_2 is a 1x1 radio and will do 1201/1201. The 5G_1 should show 2402/2402 link speeds in Win 10 if using 160 MHz bandwidth.

Real world transfer speeds also can involve the type of files being transferred. Plus there is a number such as real world speeds may reach 65% of the actual speed, if only one device is using the connection.

I also like to keep track of the link speeds on my devices, but in the end, if what you want to do is working normally, then you are fine. If some devices aren't connecting, make sure and check the Authentication Method and Protected Management Frames settings.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Thanks.

Again, not even talking about real world transfer speeds, just the reported network connection speed. I am unable to get higher than 1200 Mbps on my phone reported. This telling me its not getting full/fastest AX.

Solved this issue myself, seems the Note10+ cant do 160Mhz, so that explains that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote10/comments/keoc70/looking_for_note10_wifi_6_details/

With the above new info, no purpose in having 5GHz-1 setup to try force/deliver max AX speeds on its own, have now set both 5Ghz bands to smart connect, after which my remaining devices can now connect to the 5Ghz network (echo dot, tablet, firetv, google home, etc.)

cheers

That said, without 5Ghz-2 able to go 160 Mhz, this isnt a true 11000Mbps router as it is advertised to be!

Not talking about a single device getting 11000 Mbps either, instead a combination of devices equaling the router outputting 11000 Mbps all told.

Without the second 5Ghz band running 160 Mhz thats not possible?

Is ASUS going to fix this? Or, retract the 11000 claim?

cheers

Saltgrass wrote:
There are many things that are involved in your situation.

5G_2 is a 1x1 radio and will do 1201/1201. The 5G_1 should show 2402/2402 link speeds in Win 10 if using 160 MHz bandwidth.

Out of interest, why is it that there is difference between the two bands when the official specs page clear states that both 5G_1 and 5G_2 are both 4x4?