ROG Member Array

An example of bad BIOS menu design from ASUS

I'm making this post as feedback in hopes that ASUS improves the user experience of its BIOS navigation.

I recently lost a lot of time researching about why the hell my Rog Strix 550-E Gaming (Wi-Fi) board didn't have the curve optimizer despite an up-to-date BIOS, while the non-(Wi-Fi) version of the board did. The curve optimizer toggle should have been in the Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) menu, but it simply wasn't there.

Turns out that the option truly was only available in a DIFFERENT menu that also allows you to enable PBO, in a different tab within the BIOS. The fact that the same board setting (PBO) can be toggled in two different menus, but each of these places provides you with different options, is totally counter-intuitive. To make matters worse, searching for "curve" using the BIOS' search function gives no results if PBO is disabled, which also makes very little sense. This clearly shows that BIOS designers are not user experience designers.

I hope ASUS uses this constructive feedback to improve the interface design of the BIOS. You shouldn't put the same menu in two different places, but if you do, they CERTAINLY should not have different options!

Where I was trying to find the option:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210422_152850-12.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	88467

And here is where you actually have to go. Furthermore, you need to set the PBO to "Advanced" for the curve option to show up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210422_153119-12.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	88466
    Last edited by nantes; 04-23-2021 at 06:21 PM.