cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xg43vq

scgt1
Level 8
I went from a 32" 4K LG (3840x2160) to the Asus XG43VQ (3840X1200) and my eyes are being mutilated. I've toyed with brightness, saturation, contrast, color, blue light filtering. Nothing seems to change they eye strain/soreness. As soon as I walk away for 3-4 minutes my eyes start to feel relief but as soon as I sit back at my computer it instantly starts all over again.

I can say as I look at words and start moving my head to the other side of the screen to look at another pane the txt is blurry to me for a second or two and as I'm moving away from txt it also starts to be blurry. I'm one to not generally jack with monitor settings too much as they always seem fine out of the box to me but damn this thing could have just a few more settings for who knows what it seems to try and adjust it more. LOL I've also tried moving back away from the screen more and it doesn't seem to change at all so I don't think it's a matter of being too close.

I've also tried HDR through windows which pretty much kills any color/brightness etc settings of the monitor so I'm then forced to use the little HDR brightness slider for adjustments. This seems to make no difference either. I'm almost to the point of shipping it back to Amazon and going for something in the 1440p range as I'm wondering if the font quality is the cause. IE font doesn't look anywhere near as crisp at this 1200p as it did with the 2160p naturally. It's kinda like using a lcd tv for a monitor.

I'm also using the same Monoprice DP 1.4 cable I was using with my LG so the cable isn't the issue. I've plucked in every user setting I could find people posting around the web (which isn't much I might add) and none have really made a difference. I've also tried monkeying around with ClearType settings going from what looks good during that setup to the complete opposite and I'm getting eye strain no matter what. I've had brightness way down also before someone mentions that. LOL
3 REPLIES 3

ForsakenOutlaw
Level 7
Saw you posted in my thread but since you have a specific issue here I'll go into some details to what I did (and found).

1. First problem was I wasn't using the proper cable (you say not an issue for you but just an FYI to others looking at this post) in that I had a DP cable but not one that could support the resolution

2. Acclimation for me took a few days - at first I toyed with the settings and I used the settings found here (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-xg35v-curved-monitor-freesync,5529-2.html) to set everything but I was conflicted on the brightness and couldn't find a good explanation online on what I should do

3. Brightness I ultimately just used a light meter app I have on my phone for photography to figure out what the brightness of my desk was and then matched it to what TH had and I found that I went with the Brightness 80cd/m2 setting.

4. Ultimately even after I put in the monitor, fixed the cable, set it where I wanted it, and got the brightness it still took a few days after that for my eyestrain headaches to go away. I choked it up to needing to acclimate to the wider screen (I came from 2x 23s) and the curved aspect of the screen as well as the brightness setting.

5. I too thought about boxing it up and returning it, actually I was very frustrated with #1 because there's barely any info on this monitor and I wasn't seeing any help online whatsoever. I randomly just Googled "Max resolution HDMI cable" or something to that effect and saw that the max was 1980 wide and realized that the monitor wasn't busted but my stupid self was using the wrong cable - so I went to the cables that came with this - solved Issue #1 but it was super frustrating that I couldn't find squat online.

I would say give it a few days after you get everything set - how it should be. I will say for me it's very crisp both with my work laptop (using HDMI cable that came with it) and my desktop (using the DP cable that came with it) and the colors are very nice. Once I solved the initial cable issue that made a huge difference (it was unusable until then). After that the brightness was the big one for me and it took some time to acclimate to but now I can sit in front of it for hours upon hours upon hours.

Here's my settings if anyone is curious or needs some help:

- Game Visual = Racing Mode
- Color =
+ Brightness = 6
+ Contrast = 80
+ RGB = 100/100/93
+ Gamma - 2.2
- Image -
+ OD = Level 3
+ Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync = On
+ Blue Light Filter = Level 1
+ Shadow Boost = Level 0

ForsakenOutlaw wrote:
Saw you posted in my thread but since you have a specific issue here I'll go into some details to what I did (and found).

1. First problem was I wasn't using the proper cable (you say not an issue for you but just an FYI to others looking at this post) in that I had a DP cable but not one that could support the resolution

2. Acclimation for me took a few days - at first I toyed with the settings and I used the settings found here (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-xg35v-curved-monitor-freesync,5529-2.html) to set everything but I was conflicted on the brightness and couldn't find a good explanation online on what I should do

3. Brightness I ultimately just used a light meter app I have on my phone for photography to figure out what the brightness of my desk was and then matched it to what TH had and I found that I went with the Brightness 80cd/m2 setting.

4. Ultimately even after I put in the monitor, fixed the cable, set it where I wanted it, and got the brightness it still took a few days after that for my eyestrain headaches to go away. I choked it up to needing to acclimate to the wider screen (I came from 2x 23s) and the curved aspect of the screen as well as the brightness setting.

5. I too thought about boxing it up and returning it, actually I was very frustrated with #1 because there's barely any info on this monitor and I wasn't seeing any help online whatsoever. I randomly just Googled "Max resolution HDMI cable" or something to that effect and saw that the max was 1980 wide and realized that the monitor wasn't busted but my stupid self was using the wrong cable - so I went to the cables that came with this - solved Issue #1 but it was super frustrating that I couldn't find squat online.

I would say give it a few days after you get everything set - how it should be. I will say for me it's very crisp both with my work laptop (using HDMI cable that came with it) and my desktop (using the DP cable that came with it) and the colors are very nice. Once I solved the initial cable issue that made a huge difference (it was unusable until then). After that the brightness was the big one for me and it took some time to acclimate to but now I can sit in front of it for hours upon hours upon hours.

Here's my settings if anyone is curious or needs some help:

- Game Visual = Racing Mode
- Color =
+ Brightness = 6
+ Contrast = 80
+ RGB = 100/100/93
+ Gamma - 2.2
- Image -
+ OD = Level 3
+ Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync = On
+ Blue Light Filter = Level 1
+ Shadow Boost = Level 0

I really think the blue light filter setting was the trick for me. When I was jacking with settings I left that one alone because I didn't like the yellow tinge it caused on whites but sure enough setting that to level 1 stopped the soreness. Go figure. I am using a much higher brightness though at 53. Setting it at 6 makes everything very dull and dark. I have my contrast on 75.

I will say I'm eyeing the higher 144p res of the CRG9 though. LOL

oG_kill3r
Level 7
How do you see anything with brightness at 6 ? Does setting the OD level 0-5 make a difference ? I have the XG43VQ and absolutely love it !