Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Cooling Question - Tube Diameter

Eustia
Level 7
I am confusing about the tube diameter. For example:

G1/4" - 1/2" vs. G1/4" - 3/8"

By using the same pump and radiator, which one will provide better cooling result? or they perform the same?
4 REPLIES 4

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
As I read here http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f137/mehr-durchmesser-am-schlauch-bringts-792030.html
the diameter does not rearly matter, if your watersystem has a flow over 60 liters per hour.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
Sorry for the short reply, but it was early in the morning and I just drank a cup of coffee before going to work. Let me resume "nobody"s test results: There is no temp difference between the diameters, but a bigger diameter has more flow so you can throttle the pump and become more quiet. The fitting are able to reduce the temp for 1 degree and also influence the flow.
Main criteria for the tube diameter is optic.
I hope this helps

Loud & Fast wrote:
Sorry for the short reply, but it was early in the morning and I just drank a cup of coffee before going to work. Let me resume "nobody"s test results: There is no temp difference between the diameters, but a bigger diameter has more flow so you can throttle the pump and become more quiet. The fitting are able to reduce the temp for 1 degree and also influence the flow.
Main criteria for the tube diameter is optic.
I hope this helps

Thank you! seems a 1/2" will bring me low noise, I will do that:cool:

Eustia wrote:
Thank you! seems a 1/2" will bring me low noise, I will do that:cool:

Biggest thing with low noise is to isolate the pump vibrations from your case. Also make sure that you thoroughly bleed the air out because air in the pump will cause noise as well.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…