cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XIII Hero: Both ethernet ports don't detect cables

dsatfire
Level 7
Hello,

I've recently purchased a Maximus XIII Hero and am having trouble getting internet connectivity. Originally, I could not get any network connectivity, but was able to resolve this by plugging in an old Optical Drive to install the Wifi drivers from the provided CD.
The main issue that I'm having is that neither one of the ethernet ports are detecting cables inserted into them. I tested the network using another PC and was able to determine that the network and cabling are not to blame. I've also uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated the Windows drivers, so that is not the issue either. Windows recognizes both ports exist, but they are in a perpetual "unplugged" state. I've also updated all firmware to the latest versions in a attempt to fix this.
In my other Maximus Hero (older model), I can see the LED indicators flashing when a cable is plugged in even before loading the operating system. With this newer board, I don't see the indicators go on at all.
Is this a faulty board, or is this something I can fix without having to ship off the board and waiting for a replacement?
19 REPLIES 19

timetoy
Level 7
Trying to use the existing copy of window 10 that was on my SSD (coming from a Z390) I NEVER got the integrated network to work properly.
That is until I reinstalled windows from scratch, then it worked fine out of the box ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saltgrass
Level 13
dsatfire wrote:
Hello,

With this newer board, I don't see the indicators go on at all.
Is this a faulty board, or is this something I can fix without having to ship off the board and waiting for a replacement?

On my system, the port I have disabled in the Bios does not blink, the active one does.. Do you show both Ethernet ports in the Device Manager?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I have the Z590 E Gaming and I'm also unable to get the ETH to work (cable not connected on both ports). I previously had the Z490 and faced the same issue. Theres something about this i225-V Controller that does not like me at all.
Z490 had the Rev2 and Z590 has Rev 3.

Have 2 different notebooks which both work flawlessly connected to the ETH cable (switched already cables and ports on my switch but still no "heartbeat")

Update:
My house was build in 2018 and every room has a RJ45 wall plug. The wires from the wall plugs go in a central box where my router is located. There I can "patch" every single room directly to my router.

ETH will not work when the cable is plugged into the wall socket but, if I plug it directly into my router (so basicaly moving my router out of the central box where my PC is located) the ETH suddenly recognizes the cable.

GEK_the_Reaper wrote:
ETH will not work when the cable is plugged into the wall socket but, if I plug it directly into my router (so basicaly moving my router out of the central box where my PC is located) the ETH suddenly recognizes the cable.

You do not recall what you yourself wrote, but after witnessing your logic, that should not surprise me.
The very conclusion is slapping you in the face, several times, yet you ignore it.
I get it, you do not know much about UTP(and variants such as FTP, STP etc), but still, you do understand the concept of compliancy, right ?
Your wall cables or plugs or both are not compliant with the standards, despite them being installed by professionals and being in the color orange, which is lol in itself, some equipment works with non-standard wiring, some does not. The Ethernet cable testers only check connection between pairs, not compliancy, at least not the cheap ones.
Most likely the wall RJ45 female plugs are wired incorrectly.

Your conclusion and information provided is going to be treated as laughable by the very people you expect to use said information to improve the LAN chip.

Ataemonus wrote:
You do not recall what you yourself wrote, but after witnessing your logic, that should not surprise me.
The very conclusion is slapping you in the face, several times, yet you ignore it.
I get it, you do not know much about UTP(and variants such as FTP, STP etc), but still, you do understand the concept of compliancy, right ?
Your wall cables or plugs or both are not compliant with the standards, despite them being installed by professionals and being in the color orange, which is lol in itself, some equipment works with non-standard wiring, some does not. The Ethernet cable testers only check connection between pairs, not compliancy, at least not the cheap ones.
Most likely the wall RJ45 female plugs are wired incorrectly.

Your conclusion and information provided is going to be treated as laughable by the very people you expect to use said information to improve the LAN chip.

I do recall what I wrote but you still fail to read further in the thread.

Yes, the first test that I did was taking out the router and connecting it directly to the PC.

The second test I did was putting all back as it was (router in the box) but inserted another switch between the wall socket and my pc. So instead of using 1 cable from PC directly to the wall socket, I used 2 cables and a switch. The switch gets its data through the same cable and wall socket where my PC would plug in.

The orange cables are standard industry cables in germany certified as CAT7. These are special cables that need to pass also other certifications to be used in buildings.

A ETH cable tester checks for correct pinning of the sockets. A incorect wired socket (e.g. switched pinning or even not contacted pins) will a fail the cable testing.

Just to add further to the topic: I now connected every single bit of HW I own directly to the socket and all work (2 different Notebooks, 2 smart TVs, 1 sat receiver, 1 sound system and last the borowed switch.

PS: I do know that the "written word is prone to missinterpretation" but I do find your replies to be a little toxic (I appologize if it's only my interpretation).

Ataemonus
Level 11
So there you go, poor cabling from the wall sockets.

Ataemonus wrote:
So there you go, poor cabling from the wall sockets.

What do you mean with poor cablingfrom the wall sockets?

2 other Notebooks see the cable and work flawlessly and also another 2 earlyer builds with Realtek ETH Controllers also worked before. Why wouldn't the I225-V (3) do it?

Ataemonus
Level 11
Yes, some devices work with improperly connected RJ45 cables, some do not. Turns out the i225v is one of those who needs all pins connected in the correct position to work.
The other solution would be to check both the pinout of the wall sockets and the patch cables, but if the wall socket is not connected properly then it might be impossible to replace all the cables inside the walls or re-do the sockets themselves.