Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    You might want to try different patch cables in the closet and from the wall to the computer as well. Even if they work with another device there could be weird issues like the RJ45 is slightly out of spec and not making contact. I had a problem recently where I was getting intermittent horrible speeds and after testing a bunch of different things it turned out to be a faulty surge suppressor. Sometimes it's something you'd never expect.
    I did that already without succes though.

But here is how I sorta got it to work: I borrowed a switch and connected that one to the wall socket. I then connected my PC to the switch and it suddenly came alive. That beeing said I would again conclude that ALL my wires are working correct and that is something weird going on with the I225-V (all revisions).

Maybe this info could help getting rid of this issue.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Logic : you connect PC to wall, not working, you connect PC directly to switch/router, working, your conclusion is there is something wrong with the PC.
    Sorry logic, you have been butchered.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ataemonus View Post
    Logic : you connect PC to wall, not working, you connect PC directly to switch/router, working, your conclusion is there is something wrong with the PC.
    Sorry logic, you have been butchered.
    Sorry mate but some of us need to learn to read first: I connected the switch to the WALL SOCKET where I previously connected my PC.

1. PC-> cable to wall socket -> cable through the wall into the box -> cable to router: -NOT WORKING-
    2. PC -> cable to a switch -> from switch cable to the same wall socket as in option 1 -> cable through the wall into the box -> cable to router: -WORKING- --> meaning that all my cables are conected properly and working well
    Last edited by GEK_the_Reaper; 05-08-2021 at 07:01 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by GEK_the_Reaper View Post
    ETH will not work when the cable is plugged into the wall socket but, if I plug it directly into my router (so basicaly moving my router out of the central box where my PC is located) the ETH suddenly recognizes the cable.
    You do not recall what you yourself wrote, but after witnessing your logic, that should not surprise me.
    The very conclusion is slapping you in the face, several times, yet you ignore it.
    I get it, you do not know much about UTP(and variants such as FTP, STP etc), but still, you do understand the concept of compliancy, right ?
    Your wall cables or plugs or both are not compliant with the standards, despite them being installed by professionals and being in the color orange, which is lol in itself, some equipment works with non-standard wiring, some does not. The Ethernet cable testers only check connection between pairs, not compliancy, at least not the cheap ones.
    Most likely the wall RJ45 female plugs are wired incorrectly.

Your conclusion and information provided is going to be treated as laughable by the very people you expect to use said information to improve the LAN chip.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ataemonus View Post
    You do not recall what you yourself wrote, but after witnessing your logic, that should not surprise me.
    The very conclusion is slapping you in the face, several times, yet you ignore it.
    I get it, you do not know much about UTP(and variants such as FTP, STP etc), but still, you do understand the concept of compliancy, right ?
    Your wall cables or plugs or both are not compliant with the standards, despite them being installed by professionals and being in the color orange, which is lol in itself, some equipment works with non-standard wiring, some does not. The Ethernet cable testers only check connection between pairs, not compliancy, at least not the cheap ones.
    Most likely the wall RJ45 female plugs are wired incorrectly.

Your conclusion and information provided is going to be treated as laughable by the very people you expect to use said information to improve the LAN chip.
    I do recall what I wrote but you still fail to read further in the thread.

Yes, the first test that I did was taking out the router and connecting it directly to the PC.

The second test I did was putting all back as it was (router in the box) but inserted another switch between the wall socket and my pc. So instead of using 1 cable from PC directly to the wall socket, I used 2 cables and a switch. The switch gets its data through the same cable and wall socket where my PC would plug in.

The orange cables are standard industry cables in germany certified as CAT7. These are special cables that need to pass also other certifications to be used in buildings.

A ETH cable tester checks for correct pinning of the sockets. A incorect wired socket (e.g. switched pinning or even not contacted pins) will a fail the cable testing.

Just to add further to the topic: I now connected every single bit of HW I own directly to the socket and all work (2 different Notebooks, 2 smart TVs, 1 sat receiver, 1 sound system and last the borowed switch.

PS: I do know that the "written word is prone to missinterpretation" but I do find your replies to be a little toxic (I appologize if it's only my interpretation).

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I just thought of something. Does your tester tell you if the connection is standard or crossover? I believe most modern network devices don't really care and can negotiate either but maybe the maximus can't handle it. It's a long shot but if that were the case then you'd just need to use a crossover cable and you wouldn't need the extra switch.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Well, it was not my private tester but one used by the electrician. They also tested the resistance of each cable and it was fine.

If the cable would have been a crossover cable then I would expect none of the devices to run with it.

But here another thing: I work in a company that produces industrial sensors which most require high communication bandwith and special ETH cables (well shielded against EMI/EMC etc.). I asked one of the HW engineers for two 1,5m ETH cables to test with. So I plugged in the cables and suddenly the I225-V ETH Controller came alive. Without touching anything, I restarted the PC and the controller was again dead. I then tried to reboot without cables, with cables, pulling und inserting the cables again with PC on....nothing.

Going again through the switch worked flawlesly.

I have realy no idea what's the reason behind it but I know lot of reports for the older Z490 chipsets with the Rev2 (and 1) of the I225-V Controller.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Quote Originally Posted by GEK_the_Reaper View Post
    If the cable would have been a crossover cable then I would expect none of the devices to run with it.
    That's not the case. When you look at older switches they had a dedicated uplink port for that reason. Newer switches auto-negotiate so you can use any port and it doesn't matter if you use standard or crossover. But based on that fact I can't understand how it would fail because the switch would just compensate and the motherboard wouldn't know the difference. So it was just a long shot suggestion anyway.

Based on your brief success with a direct connection and then subsequent failure again it would seem like the board isn't detecting enough signal to activate the port. It could be a hardware issue with the ports themselves or a firmware issue where it's requiring more signal than your previous board.

If it was me I'd probably exchange the board with the retailer to see if maybe this is just a bad one.

ROG Member Array

Any suggestions are welcommed. Thank you.

I know many reports for ETH not detecting cable from the previous Z490 generation that used I225-V (1) and (2). A simple search will bring up those. You find reports even on intel forums discussing the "Cable disconnected" issue.
    I thought that the Rev 3 of the Controller has fixed that issue and the packet drop also. Looks like it's still bugged somehow.....I'm sure more and more reports will come in.

For the Z490 generation, ASUS and intel engineers replied to tickets from users with:
    - disable and reenable the ETH Connection
    - disable any Power Saving settings for that connection
    - etc...

I still hope that somebody could bring some light into this matter. Maybe a driver or FW update could fix it. I'm not into RMA the board so quickly

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

I mainly suggested that because in many regions there is limited time to make an exchange with the retailer, which is generally easier than RMA with the manufacturer. You still might want to contact ASUS anyway just so they get calls about the issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2