Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Maximus XIII Hero: Both ethernet ports don't detect cables

Hello,

I've recently purchased a Maximus XIII Hero and am having trouble getting internet connectivity. Originally, I could not get any network connectivity, but was able to resolve this by plugging in an old Optical Drive to install the Wifi drivers from the provided CD.
    The main issue that I'm having is that neither one of the ethernet ports are detecting cables inserted into them. I tested the network using another PC and was able to determine that the network and cabling are not to blame. I've also uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated the Windows drivers, so that is not the issue either. Windows recognizes both ports exist, but they are in a perpetual "unplugged" state. I've also updated all firmware to the latest versions in a attempt to fix this.
    In my other Maximus Hero (older model), I can see the LED indicators flashing when a cable is plugged in even before loading the operating system. With this newer board, I don't see the indicators go on at all.
    Is this a faulty board, or is this something I can fix without having to ship off the board and waiting for a replacement?
    Last edited by dsatfire; 04-28-2021 at 06:42 PM.

ROG Member Array timetoy PC Specs
    timetoy PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero (z590)
    ProcessorIntel 10900KF
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 4000 MHz CL15 (F4-4000C15Q-32GVK)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA XC3 3080 Hybrid
    Monitor3440x1440 1440x2560 1920x1080
    Storage #1Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 980 PRO 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
    CaseFractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
    Power SupplyCORSAIR HX1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB mk2
    Mouse Logitech M720 Triathlon
    Headset Hyper X Cloud II Wireless
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Accessory #1 2x Corsair LS100 (monitor Lights)

Trying to use the existing copy of window 10 that was on my SSD (coming from a Z390) I NEVER got the integrated network to work properly.
    That is until I reinstalled windows from scratch, then it worked fine out of the box ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

Quote Originally Posted by dsatfire View Post
    Hello,

With this newer board, I don't see the indicators go on at all.
    Is this a faulty board, or is this something I can fix without having to ship off the board and waiting for a replacement?
    On my system, the port I have disabled in the Bios does not blink, the active one does.. Do you show both Ethernet ports in the Device Manager?

ROG Member Array

I have the Z590 E Gaming and I'm also unable to get the ETH to work (cable not connected on both ports). I previously had the Z490 and faced the same issue. Theres something about this i225-V Controller that does not like me at all.
    Z490 had the Rev2 and Z590 has Rev 3.

Have 2 different notebooks which both work flawlessly connected to the ETH cable (switched already cables and ports on my switch but still no "heartbeat")

ROG Member Array

Update:
    My house was build in 2018 and every room has a RJ45 wall plug. The wires from the wall plugs go in a central box where my router is located. There I can "patch" every single room directly to my router.

ETH will not work when the cable is plugged into the wall socket but, if I plug it directly into my router (so basicaly moving my router out of the central box where my PC is located) the ETH suddenly recognizes the cable.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

So there you go, poor cabling from the wall sockets.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ataemonus View Post
    So there you go, poor cabling from the wall sockets.
    What do you mean with poor cablingfrom the wall sockets?

2 other Notebooks see the cable and work flawlessly and also another 2 earlyer builds with Realtek ETH Controllers also worked before. Why wouldn't the I225-V (3) do it?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Yes, some devices work with improperly connected RJ45 cables, some do not. Turns out the i225v is one of those who needs all pins connected in the correct position to work.
    The other solution would be to check both the pinout of the wall sockets and the patch cables, but if the wall socket is not connected properly then it might be impossible to replace all the cables inside the walls or re-do the sockets themselves.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ataemonus View Post
    Yes, some devices work with improperly connected RJ45 cables, some do not. Turns out the i225v is one of those who needs all pins connected in the correct position to work.
    The other solution would be to check both the pinout of the wall sockets and the patch cables, but if the wall socket is not connected properly then it might be impossible to replace all the cables inside the walls or re-do the sockets themselves.
    All cables are connected. This has been tested with ETH cable tester. Don't get me wrong but the instalation has been done by qualified workers and the cables are industry grade (orange) cables with metal RJ45 sockets. Those cables are way thicker then normal Patch cables and are way better shielded. Also the distance they run does not exceed 6m which is nothing.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

You might want to try different patch cables in the closet and from the wall to the computer as well. Even if they work with another device there could be weird issues like the RJ45 is slightly out of spec and not making contact. I had a problem recently where I was getting intermittent horrible speeds and after testing a bunch of different things it turned out to be a faulty surge suppressor. Sometimes it's something you'd never expect.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast