cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AXE11000 6E and WAN LAG not working?!

axman
Level 9
The GT-AXE11000 with firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42489-g4675265 does not appear to work with 6E and WPA3-Personal on either Windows or Linux with the Intel AX210 6E Wireless NIC. It does work with Opportunistic Wireless Encryption, but that does not appear to require a password!

The GT-AXE11000 with firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42489-g4675265 does not appear to work with the Motorola MB8600 and LAG on the WAN ports. e.g. It will not get a WAN IP address via DHCP with two WAN ports set in Link Aggregation mode, so you can't get > 1Gbps.

I bought the router mainly for these two features:
Greater than 1Gbps internet via WAN LAG.
6 GHz connectivity via wi-fi 6E (securely).

ASUS are you going to address these issues? *The product currently does not perform as advertised.
17 REPLIES 17

Saltgrass
Level 13
The situation with the 6 GHz radio is still up in the air. Mine works fine and does use the semi-open security. You might also note a 6 GHz connection is shown as an Ethernet connection. Hopefully, when 6e does go active in Win 10, a new firmware will arrive to take care of some of these problems.. When you look for other networks, do you see any other 6 GHz radios nearby your location?

Since I don't know what WAN LAG is, I won't be able to help. Maybe you are referring to WAN Aggregation? Someone earlier was trying that with two 1 Gbps outputs from their modem but it did not seem to work... I think you might need to different sources for such a thing to work..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

mploc
Level 7
axman wrote:
The GT-AXE11000 with firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42489-g4675265 does not appear to work with 6E and WPA3-Personal on either Windows or Linux with the Intel AX210 6E Wireless NIC. It does work with Opportunistic Wireless Encryption, but that does not appear to require a password!

The GT-AXE11000 with firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42489-g4675265 does not appear to work with the Motorola MB8600 and LAG on the WAN ports. e.g. It will not get a WAN IP address via DHCP with two WAN ports set in Link Aggregation mode, so you can't get > 1Gbps.

I bought the router mainly for these two features:
Greater than 1Gbps internet via WAN LAG.
6 GHz connectivity via wi-fi 6E (securely).

ASUS are you going to address these issues? *The product currently does not perform as advertised.

The AX210 issue is not ASUS fault. Windows does support wifi 6e with WPA3 or wifi 6e period for that matter without the registry hack.

WAN LAG is where you connect two 1 Gbps cables from your Cable Modem into your Router and it aggregates them to give you greater than 1 Gbps speed if your ISP supports that.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000054783/network-and-i-o/wireless.html
"The following Intel® Wireless Adapters support WPA3-Personal (aka WPA3-SAE) and WPA3- Enterprise on Windows® 10.
Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210"
WPA3-Personal didn't work under Linux either.

There are no nearby 6GHz access points except for mine. *I am able to connect to it using the AX210 in both Windows and Linux, but not using WPA3-Personal.

axman wrote:
WAN LAG is where you connect two 1 Gbps cables from your Cable Modem into your Router and it aggregates them to give you greater than 1 Gbps speed if your ISP supports that.

So you are saying you did check with your provider and they do support it, so you believe it should work? I suppose I just have to wonder how you can get 2 Gbps from a 1 Gbps network.. But you might be right..

I could understand using the second port to run a different network. But even that would have to share the 1 Gbps bandwidth.

As far as the 6 GHz security, we will have to wait and see. I am also waiting for Intel to release the AX211 since I need that for another motherboard. 21H1 can't be that far away although we don't yet know if 6 GHz will be turned on with it or something later.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

axman wrote:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000054783/network-and-i-o/wireless.html
"The following Intel® Wireless Adapters support WPA3-Personal (aka WPA3-SAE) and WPA3- Enterprise on Windows® 10.
Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210"
WPA3-Personal didn't work under Linux either.

There are no nearby 6GHz access points except for mine. *I am able to connect to it using the AX210 in both Windows and Linux, but not using WPA3-Personal.

The second WAN on your cable modem has to be enabled. No matter what cable modem you use with your ISP, the firmware is pushed to your modem by them. If they do not enable both WAN you will never show a connection greater than 1gb. I have fiber at the moment and my fiber modem has a 10gb WAN. The multiport on AXE11000 has a 2.5gb port. So I have a 2.5gb connection which makes no difference in my speeds since I have 1gb speed.

Yes Ax210 supports WPA3, it is made by Intel, which is not Microsoft who makes windows. It is not enabled in Windows for Wifi6e, it does not matter what ASUS is leading you to believe. I know they posted directions on there website, but they are not telling you the whole situation. Sorry I know nothing aboout Linux.

mploc wrote:
The second WAN on your cable modem has to be enabled. No matter what cable modem you use with your ISP, the firmware is pushed to your modem by them. If they do not enable both WAN you will never show a connection greater than 1gb. I have fiber at the moment and my fiber modem has a 10gb WAN. The multiport on AXE11000 has a 2.5gb port. So I have a 2.5gb connection which makes no difference in my speeds since I have 1gb speed.

Yes Ax210 supports WPA3, it is made by Intel, which is not Microsoft who makes windows. It is not enabled in Windows for Wifi6e, it does not matter what ASUS is leading you to believe. I know they posted directions on there website, but they are not telling you the whole situation. Sorry I know nothing about Linux.

I just realized I have never considered what speed a WAN port on a router can do. If you have a 10 Gbps Fiber ISP connection, the normal WAN port will not go above 1 Gbps?

If you can connect to the 2.5 Gbps port for the WAN connection, the wireless can do 2.4 Gbps so you should have that if you want..

I got on the Win 10 Insiders Dev channel and noticed Intel is giving them a 22.50.x.x version of the Wi-Fi driver. Normally you can only get the 22.40.x.x even directly from Intel. Maybe the 22.50.x.x will turn on the 6 GHz option..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I just realized I have never considered what speed a WAN port on a router can do. If you have a 10 Gbps Fiber ISP connection, the normal WAN port will not go above 1 Gbps?

If you can connect to the 2.5 Gbps port for the WAN connection, the wireless can do 2.4 Gbps so you should have that if you want..

I got on the Win 10 Insiders Dev channel and noticed Intel is giving them a 22.50.x.x version of the Wi-Fi driver. Normally you can only get the 22.40.x.x even directly from Intel. Maybe the 22.50.x.x will turn on the 6 GHz option..

My ISP only offers 1 gig, but ther equipment will support 10 gig.

Yes that is the beta driver. It does enable 6ghz, but I don't know about WPA3. Try it.

mploc wrote:

Yes that is the beta driver. It does enable 6ghz, but I don't know about WPA3. Try it.

I just got the 22.50.0 Intel Wi-Fi driver on my Insider Beta system. So it appears 21H1 will turn that on.

Since that system does not have a 6e Wi-Fi card, yet, I cannot test.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
This is important because I need to file a feedback with the Insiders program.. If you do not have an Insiders build tied to that program, have you gotten the Intel 22.50.0 Wi-Fi driver as an optional update...?

Thanks..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200