cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z590-A - BIOS 0704 to 0707 performance hit

chrismog2_2
Level 7
Hello -

I'm noticing a performance drop since upgrading my Strix Z590-A BIOS from 0704 (beta) to 0707 with my i9-11900K. All settings the same (XMP enabled, ABT on, MCE on) as far as I can tell. On 0704, the chip would boost to all-core 5 GHz and temps would be in the low to mid 80C during a Cinebench R23 test. On 0707, it's floating between 4.7-4.8 GHz all core, and temps topping out at 70-71C, almost like that's the new thermal limit. Has the boosting behavior and/or the MCE parameters changed between these BIOS versions? Outside of a manual OC, anything I can look at to return it to previous behavior? Thanks.
39 REPLIES 39

timetoy
Level 7
That looks like the default behavior of the Thermal Velocity Boost (ie, lowering the ratio at 70c)
Set "Overclocking TVB" to enable to increase the temperature threshold

timetoy wrote:
That looks like the default behavior of the Thermal Velocity Boost (ie, lowering the ratio at 70c)
Set "Overclocking TVB" to enable to increase the temperature threshold

Changed it from Auto to Enabled, didn't help. I also tried the "+2Boost" profile and couldn't boot into Windows for some reason. BSODs of MEMORY_MANAGEMENT followed by MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION on successive attempts. Reverted "Overclocking TVB" to Auto; Windows memory diagnostic and MemTest86 turned up nothing with a basic pass (also, have run several MemTest86 runs w/ the previous BIOS and never received an error while on XMP profile).

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
chrismog2_2 wrote:
Hello -

I'm noticing a performance drop since upgrading my Strix Z590-A BIOS from 0704 (beta) to 0707 with my i9-11900K. All settings the same (XMP enabled, ABT on, MCE on) as far as I can tell. On 0704, the chip would boost to all-core 5 GHz and temps would be in the low to mid 80C during a Cinebench R23 test. On 0707, it's floating between 4.7-4.8 GHz all core, and temps topping out at 70-71C, almost like that's the new thermal limit. Has the boosting behavior and/or the MCE parameters changed between these BIOS versions? Outside of a manual OC, anything I can look at to return it to previous behavior? Thanks.

I did check that also. on the E. if you board has AI mic cancelacion. end process in services. Try. Work for me. Sadly changing priority and affinity does not anything. once you drop that numbers will go up ON idle. Let me run a few runs tomorrow in R23 and see make any changes. since on load drops to 48/49 on my 10850k
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
I did check that also. on the E. if you board has AI mic cancelacion. end process in services. Try. Work for me. Sadly changing priority and affinity does not anything. once you drop that numbers will go up ON idle. Let me run a few runs tomorrow in R23 and see make any changes. since on load drops to 48/49 on my 10850k

I'm not sure I fully understand this, but I don't have any noise cancellation software... and not sure how that would impact other processes? You're also running 10th gen and I am 11th gen. My idle frequencies and lightly threaded boosts are still 5.1GHz and 5.3GHz respectively as normal.

Zardoc
Level 10
chrismog2_2 wrote:
Hello -

Your findings could be valid. I don't have the 11th gen CPU. If you think it's really the case. Open a support ticket and detail your findings.

Zardoc wrote:
Your findings could be valid. I don't have the 11th gen CPU. If you think it's really the case. Open a support ticket and detail your findings.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. I suspect now that it might not be enabling ABT properly on 0707. I tried the same Cinebench test with ABT off and there was no change. Rolled back to 0704 BIOS and with ABT on, I get the extra 200 MHz all-core. Thanks.

chrismog2_2 wrote:
Yeah, I think I'll do that. I suspect now that it might not be enabling ABT properly on 0707. I tried the same Cinebench test with ABT off and there was no change. Rolled back to 0704 BIOS and with ABT on, I get the extra 200 MHz all-core. Thanks.

disable vmax stress under thermal velocity boost
disable tvb since the octvb is not customizable YET and would just clip at 70C.
this gen mce enabled doesnt totally run unrestrained to reach a compromise between perf and temps.

Shamino wrote:
disable vmax stress under thermal velocity boost
disable tvb since the octvb is not customizable YET and would just clip at 70C.
this gen mce enabled doesnt totally run unrestrained to reach a compromise between perf and temps.

I tried updating to 0707 again and disabling both VMax Stress and OC TVB, but I'm still capping at 4.8 GHz all core. Single cores are still boosting up to 5.3 though for applicable lightly-threaded tests.

edit: I also tried switching ABT off (in case that was restricting me to 70C based on the Intel standards and overriding any settings applied by MCE) but I'm still seeing the 4.8 GHz cap regardless of whether MCE is "Auto - Lets BIOS Optimize" or "Enabled - Remove All Limits".

edit 2: I tried one other combo, ABT On / MCE Off "Disabled - Enforce All Limits". I get 38 seconds of all-core 4.8 GHz and then it downclocks to 4.1 GHz. Could have sworn that should be 56 seconds with default limits, and ABT alone should allow clocks to go higher during the boost period while below 100C. Am I missing something?

Bumping this. My support ticket response was that they'd refer it to L2 support but it was closed thereafter. Not exactly sure where to go from here, other than rolling back to beta again or waiting for a fix.