cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G733QM - iGPU Mode - Sporadic black Flicker of Screen in the Upper Half of Screen

qwertz0815
Level 7
ASUS 2021 ROG Strix SCAR 17 - Model G733QM

Symptom:
Sporadic black Flicker of Screen in the Upper 1/3 or Half of the Screen.
Not reproducable or forceable.

Laptop sitting idle, or using Browser and just surfing, than the upper half or third sometimes also less of the Screen starts to turn black, flickers and than goes back to normal.
It just comes and goes.

Armoury Crate Mode Quiet
iGPU Mode - Automatic

When iGPU Mode is set to OFF - so the Nvidia GPU is always used - there is no black flickering or anything - all is good.
When I completley disbale the Nvidia Card and Run only the AMD iGPU, there is sometimes the black bar flicker.

When I set the Screen to 60Hz manually there appears to be no Flicket also.

So Issue is mainly when running iGPU Auto Mode and 300hz enabled.

[BIOS]
BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends International, LLC.
BIOS Date: 03/11/2021
BIOS Version: G733QM.306
UEFI BIOS: Capable

PS: I have logged a Support Case with Asus - waiting for news.

PPS: I hope it is only a Driver / Bios Bug, as when using the NV GPU with iGPU Off - all is OK.:cool:
3 REPLIES 3

charis
Level 7
qwertz0815 wrote:

Symptom:

Laptop sitting idle, or using Browser and just surfing, than the upper half or third sometimes also less of the Screen starts to turn black, flickers and than goes back to normal.
It just comes and goes.

Armoury Crate Mode Quiet
iGPU Mode - Automatic

When iGPU Mode is set to OFF - so the Nvidia GPU is always used - there is no black flickering or anything - all is good.
When I completley disbale the Nvidia Card and Run only the AMD iGPU, there is sometimes the black bar flicker.

[BIOS]

PPS: I hope it is only a Driver / Bios Bug, as when using the NV GPU with iGPU Off - all is OK.:cool:

Apparently I'm facing the exact same problem with the brand new Asus Strix Scar g733qr.

I have tried almost everything but unfortunately the problem with to screen flickering does not go away. I also reported a problem to ASUS and followed the dealer's instructions, but the problem persists. It is really a pity that a laptop that was bought for 2000 euros (Offer price from 2400) has such a problem and ASUS can not actually deal with it.

There are too many users with this problem on the internet and everyone has been trying to find a solution for a long time, but I think the problem is with the hardware and there will be no solution. I am thinking very seriously about returning my laptop, but I do not know if this is possible because it has been over 30 days since I received it.

The problem also occurs with Nvidia graphic card in use, is not igpu related

charis
Level 7
qwertz0815 wrote:

Symptom:

It just comes and goes.

Armoury Crate Mode Quiet
iGPU Mode - Automatic

[BIOS]

Are you using Windows 10 pro and Hyper-V ?

I also had exactly the same problem with the random flicker of the screen and I solved it once and for all.