cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Scar 17 G733qs issues

bobchik
Level 7
I encountered few issues. Both seem like software/driver issues. Regional support recommended to reinstall drivers, Armory Crate and MyAsus, and when that doesn't help, the only thing they offered is to bring laptop to them, which seem to be useless as it's likely not hardware issues. Factory reset didn't help to.

1) GPU locks in idle state after hibernation / shut down with fast startup

Steps to reproduce:

• Enable Fast Startup (enabled by default) if it is disabled (Control Panel -> Hardware and sound -> Power options -> Choose what the power button do). Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and enable "Turn on fast startup", apply settings. Or enable hibernation on same page and use it instead of shut down.
  • Switch to "Perfomance" or "Turbo" mode
  • Shut down/hibernate laptop
  • Turn it on
  • Without changing perfomance mode run any GPU Heavy game. I tried it with Control and Horizon.
  • FPS is terrible. GPU clock is 500Mhz, power is 50 Watt (normal walues are 1600 Mhz and ~130 Watt for those game). Pefcap sensor in GPU-z show that perfomance is locked by Idle state.
  • To return clocks and power to normal just switch to "Silent" mode and back

From what I know there was same problem with Sleep mode on Zephyrus laptops and it was fixes by BIOS update. I haven't found any bug tracker and can't report bug, regional support didn't help, and when I wrote to global support issue was passed to regional one. So i decided to write here.

2) RefreshRateService constanly crashes on system startup (there are records in windows event log)
6 REPLIES 6

Razoro
Level 8
I can only speak about the Refreshrateservice.
I've seen it crashing like you said in event viewer, for a long time in GL504 models, i don't think it will be fixed soon.

In Armoury Crate "Manual" mode you see GPU Memory Freq, on my G17 G713QR-HG022T it should be 7001Mz - When it's 6001MHz I have to select "Silent" mode, wait until it switches to 7001MHz, then select "Manual" mode, that's how I have been doing until yesterday when uninstall and reinstall of Armoury Crate solved that problem. The reason might be the ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - Firmware - 10.1.2.315 that came with Windows Update the other day. I use BIOS 315, this firmware number ends with 315 too.

Triton.se wrote:
In Armoury Crate "Manual" mode you see GPU Memory Freq, on my G17 G713QR-HG022T it should be 7001Mz - When it's 6001MHz I have to select "Silent" mode, wait until it switches to 7001MHz, then select "Manual" mode, that's how I have been doing until yesterday when uninstall and reinstall of Armoury Crate solved that problem. The reason might be the ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - Firmware - 10.1.2.315 that came with Windows Update the other day. I use BIOS 315, this firmware number ends with 315 too.

I reproduced steps you described and found faulty component. It's broken armory crate config. After reinstalling Armory Crate everything works perfectly, but armory crate functionality (manual mode without clock boost sliders, spl and sppt) is limited and fan curves are not optimal due to AC using generic config. But after installing ACConfig_G733QS_1.0.7 hibernate problem reemerged. Now how to make Asus to fix the problem, support does not want to listen and create bug report or something instead of just persuading me to bring them laptop for whatever stupid reason.

When I got the "6001MHz" problem I could also solve it this way (only tested once):

Power off laptop.
Unplug the AC adapter cord - wait some time...dunno, 10-20 sec?
Plug it in again.
Power on laptop.

In Manual mode I got the correct "7001MHz" without having to do any mode switcing.

All other times after coldboot - "6001 MHz" and 55W gaming if I hadn't done the mode switching.

Hello,

Same problem with me. GPU is block at max 500mHz, sometimes, when I play game.

I have completely unistalled Armory crate but the issue still occurs.

I also have updated the BIOS to the last version (315)

Hope ASUS will be able to deal with their problem very soon !

I installed the appropriate ACConfig for my model (G713QR 1.0.5) and got the sliders back, but also have to do the switching every coldboot, but I found another solution.

Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10 (click the link)

Works every time, just that it takes 20 seconds to shut down, not a couple with enabled fast startup.

And when powering on (coldboot) the laptop it is like after a reboot - wsappx.exe and windows update are running for 3 minutes, in Task Manager -> Performance, CPU "up time" starts from 00:00:00:00 - usually it just continues after a coldboot.