Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3090 OC 24GB. Update V3 or V4? Dangerous?

    I just got this card. Do I update to V4 for better performance and Resizable Bar? Or do I run scared and leave the BIOS where it is? Seems like a lot of people are having nightmares updating their BIOS.

    Also, I have the OC addition. Is this card already OC to the max or is there more room to overclock with software i.e. GPU Teak III.

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array Banditt1976 PC Specs
    Banditt1976 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4700 MHz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F4-4000C17-8GTZR 32 GB @ 4000 MT/s CL16
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070 Gaming OC @ 2070 MHz Boost Clock
    MonitorLG UltraGear 27GL850-B 27" QHD 144 Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB PCIe 4.0
    Storage #2Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB PCIe 3.0
    CPU CoolerThermalTake Floe DX RGB 360 mm AIO Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair 5000X RGB ATX Mid-tower
    Power SupplyASUS ROG STRIX 850W Fully Modular
    Keyboard SteelSeries APEX 5 RGB
    Mouse Logitech M500 Laser Mouse
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QCK PRISM RGB Gaming
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X4S R7800
    Banditt1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by needspractice View Post
    I just got this card. Do I update to V4 for better performance and Resizable Bar? Or do I run scared and leave the BIOS where it is? Seems like a lot of people are having nightmares updating their BIOS.

    Also, I have the OC addition. Is this card already OC to the max or is there more room to overclock with software i.e. GPU Teak III.
    As far as updating to V4 BIOS, that is up to you. Find out what types of issues are happening and what are causing them from others. Is the risk right now really worth %5 increase in performance in certain apps and games? It is not a universal performance upgrade for ReBar. I have the 3070 ROG Strix OC edition and was able to increase the boost clock another 150 MHz using the OC Scanner option that does all the testing for you and sets an optimal overclock for you. You just put in a few parameters into the OC Scanner and a few minutes later it gives the optimal settings for overclock and applies them immediately for you to try out. One thing I did manually was setting the two fan curves because they don't turn on by default until the card gets pretty hot. I like to keep my card as cool as possible with minimal noise. Unless you need a silent environment or are doing sound/music work, It really is not worth keeping silent mode on in my opinion, especially during gaming.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Banditt1976 View Post
    As far as updating to V4 BIOS, that is up to you. Find out what types of issues are happening and what are causing them from others. Is the risk right now really worth %5 increase in performance in certain apps and games? It is not a universal performance upgrade for ReBar. I have the 3070 ROG Strix OC edition and was able to increase the boost clock another 150 MHz using the OC Scanner option that does all the testing for you and sets an optimal overclock for you. You just put in a few parameters into the OC Scanner and a few minutes later it gives the optimal settings for overclock and applies them immediately for you to try out. One thing I did manually was setting the two fan curves because they don't turn on by default until the card gets pretty hot. I like to keep my card as cool as possible with minimal noise. Unless you need a silent environment or are doing sound/music work, It really is not worth keeping silent mode on in my opinion, especially during gaming.
    Nice. Did you upgrade to V4? What do you recommend? Also, OC Scanner, that seems cool. Where do I find that program?

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array Banditt1976 PC Specs
    Banditt1976 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4700 MHz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F4-4000C17-8GTZR 32 GB @ 4000 MT/s CL16
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070 Gaming OC @ 2070 MHz Boost Clock
    MonitorLG UltraGear 27GL850-B 27" QHD 144 Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB PCIe 4.0
    Storage #2Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB PCIe 3.0
    CPU CoolerThermalTake Floe DX RGB 360 mm AIO Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair 5000X RGB ATX Mid-tower
    Power SupplyASUS ROG STRIX 850W Fully Modular
    Keyboard SteelSeries APEX 5 RGB
    Mouse Logitech M500 Laser Mouse
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QCK PRISM RGB Gaming
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X4S R7800
    Banditt1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by needspractice View Post
    Nice. Did you upgrade to V4? What do you recommend? Also, OC Scanner, that seems cool. Where do I find that program?
    OC Scanner is part of the ASUS GPU Tweak II software. I am on V3, the latest version for my card.

    Where are you finding a V4 version? I only see up to V3 for the 3090 on ASUS's product support page.

    Edit: Nevermind. For some reason it doesn't show under Windows 10, but does for Windows 7 and 8.
    Last edited by Banditt1976; 04-30-2021 at 05:07 PM.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Banditt1976 View Post
    OC Scanner is part of the ASUS GPU Tweak II software. I am on V3, the latest version for my card.

    Where are you finding a V4 version? I only see up to V3 for the 3090 on ASUS's product support page.

    Edit: Nevermind. For some reason it doesn't show under Windows 10, but does for Windows 7 and 8.
    Yea, if you click on drivers and click on windows 10 it pops up, if you go right to the bios section its only on v3. I'm still thinking on whether to do it or not.

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array Banditt1976 PC Specs
    Banditt1976 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4700 MHz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB F4-4000C17-8GTZR 32 GB @ 4000 MT/s CL16
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070 Gaming OC @ 2070 MHz Boost Clock
    MonitorLG UltraGear 27GL850-B 27" QHD 144 Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB PCIe 4.0
    Storage #2Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB PCIe 3.0
    CPU CoolerThermalTake Floe DX RGB 360 mm AIO Liquid Cooling
    CaseCorsair 5000X RGB ATX Mid-tower
    Power SupplyASUS ROG STRIX 850W Fully Modular
    Keyboard SteelSeries APEX 5 RGB
    Mouse Logitech M500 Laser Mouse
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QCK PRISM RGB Gaming
    Headset/Speakers Bose Companion 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk X4S R7800
    Banditt1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by needspractice View Post
    Yea, if you click on drivers and click on windows 10 it pops up, if you go right to the bios section its only on v3. I'm still thinking on whether to do it or not.
    I would wait since it has today's date as the release date. Let other 3090 owners do the testing for you and then decide if it is worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •