cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3090 OC 24GB. Update V3 or V4? Dangerous?

needspractice
Level 7
I just got this card. Do I update to V4 for better performance and Resizable Bar? Or do I run scared and leave the BIOS where it is? Seems like a lot of people are having nightmares updating their BIOS.

Also, I have the OC addition. Is this card already OC to the max or is there more room to overclock with software i.e. GPU Teak III.
5 REPLIES 5

Banditt1976
Level 8
needspractice wrote:
I just got this card. Do I update to V4 for better performance and Resizable Bar? Or do I run scared and leave the BIOS where it is? Seems like a lot of people are having nightmares updating their BIOS.

Also, I have the OC addition. Is this card already OC to the max or is there more room to overclock with software i.e. GPU Teak III.

As far as updating to V4 BIOS, that is up to you. Find out what types of issues are happening and what are causing them from others. Is the risk right now really worth %5 increase in performance in certain apps and games? It is not a universal performance upgrade for ReBar. I have the 3070 ROG Strix OC edition and was able to increase the boost clock another 150 MHz using the OC Scanner option that does all the testing for you and sets an optimal overclock for you. You just put in a few parameters into the OC Scanner and a few minutes later it gives the optimal settings for overclock and applies them immediately for you to try out. One thing I did manually was setting the two fan curves because they don't turn on by default until the card gets pretty hot. I like to keep my card as cool as possible with minimal noise. Unless you need a silent environment or are doing sound/music work, It really is not worth keeping silent mode on in my opinion, especially during gaming.

Banditt1976 wrote:
As far as updating to V4 BIOS, that is up to you. Find out what types of issues are happening and what are causing them from others. Is the risk right now really worth %5 increase in performance in certain apps and games? It is not a universal performance upgrade for ReBar. I have the 3070 ROG Strix OC edition and was able to increase the boost clock another 150 MHz using the OC Scanner option that does all the testing for you and sets an optimal overclock for you. You just put in a few parameters into the OC Scanner and a few minutes later it gives the optimal settings for overclock and applies them immediately for you to try out. One thing I did manually was setting the two fan curves because they don't turn on by default until the card gets pretty hot. I like to keep my card as cool as possible with minimal noise. Unless you need a silent environment or are doing sound/music work, It really is not worth keeping silent mode on in my opinion, especially during gaming.

Nice. Did you upgrade to V4? What do you recommend? Also, OC Scanner, that seems cool. Where do I find that program?

needspractice wrote:
Nice. Did you upgrade to V4? What do you recommend? Also, OC Scanner, that seems cool. Where do I find that program?

OC Scanner is part of the ASUS GPU Tweak II software. I am on V3, the latest version for my card.

Where are you finding a V4 version? I only see up to V3 for the 3090 on ASUS's product support page.

Edit: Nevermind. For some reason it doesn't show under Windows 10, but does for Windows 7 and 8.

Banditt1976 wrote:
OC Scanner is part of the ASUS GPU Tweak II software. I am on V3, the latest version for my card.

Where are you finding a V4 version? I only see up to V3 for the 3090 on ASUS's product support page.

Edit: Nevermind. For some reason it doesn't show under Windows 10, but does for Windows 7 and 8.

Yea, if you click on drivers and click on windows 10 it pops up, if you go right to the bios section its only on v3. I'm still thinking on whether to do it or not.

needspractice wrote:
Yea, if you click on drivers and click on windows 10 it pops up, if you go right to the bios section its only on v3. I'm still thinking on whether to do it or not.

I would wait since it has today's date as the release date. Let other 3090 owners do the testing for you and then decide if it is worth it.