cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Gen 4 problems

SirBasher
Level 7
Hi Guys,
I am having an issue with my MB and a M.2 Gen4 M.2.

First my hardware list:
MB: ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WiFi (BIOS 1805)
GPU: AMD Radion RX 5700 XT
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
SSD: 2 x M.2 Gen3 Sabrent Rocket Q SCSi Disks 1TB
SSD: ScanDisk Ultra 2 960Gig
HDU: 3

This current configuration is running fine with no issues.

The problem is I decided to upgrade my boot drive to a Gen for so ordered and received a Sabrent Gen4 disk which I would have though a straight sway and reinstall of OS etc would have been straight forward BUT, no 😞 When I replaced the Gen3 with the Gen4 the computer would not boot and got stuck at error code 7C. I went online to investigate and followed every recommendation I could find. I disconnected all my Sata drives and removed the second M.2 drive, reset the bios to what the recommendations said but still a 7C error. The conclusion I cane to was a faulty M.2 so I sent it back and ordered a different drive a Corsair MP600 Gen 4 and as you probably have guessed it also stops at 7C (Its a pre-post state the stops the computer even getting to the bios screen). When Iput the Gen3 back in all works wonderfully.

Can anyone out the help or advise what is going on?

Regards,
Dave G
1 REPLY 1

Saltgrass
Level 13
I am not familiar with the drives on your system, but the Samsung 970 (PCIe 3) was using a Samsung NVMe driver. When I tried to use it on the Samsung 980 Pro (PCIe 4) it had problems also.

So, check what driver the Gen 4 is using and possibly put it back on the Windows standard NVMe driver.. If you already are, I could only suggest verifying the capabilities of the M.2 slots and what else may or may not work..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200