cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading ROG G20AJ

Fede98
Level 7
Hello people, i'm searching help and tips. About 7 years ago i bought this Asus Rog G20AJ that have the following specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4790 3,60 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
RAM: Samsung 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
MOBO: h97-i/g20aj/dp
STORAGE: 1HDD TB / 1SSD 256GB
PSU:180W+230W(I think)
Plus I have this monitor if can help: ASUS VG249 144Hz FHD

Now, after so many times, i'm thinking for an upgrade but....it's a pre-built pc and I occured several problems: first of all I think i can't upgrade CPU becouse the socket is the 1150 LGA and the h97 chipset, my CPU is one of the best of this category in my research(if no,t please tell me); then i can't upgrade the RAM either since is already at is maximum and the mobo can fit only ddr3, the only things is to upgrade to an 1600MHz DDR3L RAM but it is worth?; MOBO is the main problem, can't change it becouse it is specific for the G20Aj case and it rule with is connections. So in the end i was wondering if I can upgrade my GPU to an RTX 3060 or 3070(and maybe change the HDD with a 2TB SSD). My questions, aside the phisical space, are: the CPU, if it is still good(I think yes) for handle a possible bottleneck, if RAM need indeed an upgrade too and if I can upgrade it to 32GB(2x16GB) and if the supply power of this pc is enough to keep everything on, unfortunatly i can't say what PSU I have, maybe is about 400W (if someone know the truth plese tell me).
That's it, someone can help?
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
You don't need more memory for gaming and Intel CPUs haven't had a significant performance bump in many generations so you're probably fine there too. Your best bang for the buck would be the GPU and an SSD if you feel the spinning drive is too slow. You'll want to keep the power in the same ballpark or you're going to be looking for special high wattage power bricks. A 3060 would probably be a good fit for the rest of your hardware.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

cityhunter62
Level 8
Fede98 wrote:
Hello people, i'm searching help and tips. About 7 years ago i bought this Asus Rog G20AJ that have the following specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4790 3,60 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
RAM: Samsung 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
MOBO: h97-i/g20aj/dp
STORAGE: 1HDD TB / 1SSD 256GB
PSU:180W+230W(I think)
Plus I have this monitor if can help: ASUS VG249 144Hz FHD

Now, after so many times, i'm thinking for an upgrade but....it's a pre-built pc and I occured several problems: first of all I think i can't upgrade CPU becouse the socket is the 1150 LGA and the h97 chipset, my CPU is one of the best of this category in my research(if no,t please tell me); then i can't upgrade the RAM either since is already at is maximum and the mobo can fit only ddr3, the only things is to upgrade to an 1600MHz DDR3L RAM but it is worth?; MOBO is the main problem, can't change it becouse it is specific for the G20Aj case and it rule with is connections. So in the end i was wondering if I can upgrade my GPU to an RTX 3060 or 3070(and maybe change the HDD with a 2TB SSD). My questions, aside the phisical space, are: the CPU, if it is still good(I think yes) for handle a possible bottleneck, if RAM need indeed an upgrade too and if I can upgrade it to 32GB(2x16GB) and if the supply power of this pc is enough to keep everything on, unfortunatly i can't say what PSU I have, maybe is about 400W (if someone know the truth plese tell me).
That's it, someone can help?

So, what did you do in the end ? I have the exact same model that I want to upgrade now... Thanx !

Adrian_
Level 7
Just a bit of advice: the main limitation for the G20AJ video card upgrade is the 180W limit of the smaller brick. The bigger one (230W) powers on the rest of the system while the smaller one powers the PCIe power connectors on the motherboard.
It would seem logical that replacing the 180W brick with the one with the same voltage but higher wattage (and amps of course) would allow for a more power hungry video card but no, apparently the motherboard cannot draw anything more then 180w from the second power brick.
So, the absolute maximum this system can offer to a video card is 75W from the PICe slot plus 180W from the two PCIe connectors on the motherboard. That would still be plenty BUT:
1. The small power brick has a maximum rating of 180W which means it will die a quick death if it actually had to output 180W for long gaming sessions.
2. The air vents at the bottom of the case are not big enough to allow a blower style fan to cool the heat generated by a 255W video card.

For all practical purposes my estimation is that any card above 180W would cause problems on the long run (for example pay attention at the temperature of the HDD). Any card above 200W will probably kill the small power brick in a few months.

What could be done to reach the maximum theoretical limit of 255W is:
A. Mod the case by cutting some serious vents at the bottom. (you will have to remove the motherboard, use a dremel, deal with the metallic debris etc)
B. Buy a bigger wattage power brick for the small connector. You won't exceed 180W to the PCIe connectors (remember the mobo limitation) BUT you will be able to deliver those 180W safely on the long run. Something at least capable of 250W would be needed.

Adrian_ wrote:
Just a bit of advice: the main limitation for the G20AJ video card upgrade is the 180W limit of the smaller brick. The bigger one (230W) powers on the rest of the system while the smaller one powers the PCIe power connectors on the motherboard.
It would seem logical that replacing the 180W brick with the one with the same voltage but higher wattage (and amps of course) would allow for a more power hungry video card but no, apparently the motherboard cannot draw anything more then 180w from the second power brick.
So, the absolute maximum this system can offer to a video card is 75W from the PICe slot plus 180W from the two PCIe connectors on the motherboard. That would still be plenty BUT:
1. The small power brick has a maximum rating of 180W which means it will die a quick death if it actually had to output 180W for long gaming sessions.
2. The air vents at the bottom of the case are not big enough to allow a blower style fan to cool the heat generated by a 255W video card.

For all practical purposes my estimation is that any card above 180W would cause problems on the long run (for example pay attention at the temperature of the HDD). Any card above 200W will probably kill the small power brick in a few months.

What could be done to reach the maximum theoretical limit of 255W is:
A. Mod the case by cutting some serious vents at the bottom. (you will have to remove the motherboard, use a dremel, deal with the metallic debris etc)
B. Buy a bigger wattage power brick for the small connector. You won't exceed 180W to the PCIe connectors (remember the mobo limitation) BUT you will be able to deliver those 180W safely on the long run. Something at least capable of 250W would be needed.

Thank you Adrian for your reply ! I was starting to worry that no one would ever answer those last posts after all this time... Anyway, good thing to know that the limitation is 180w and not 230w as I initially thought. From what I've researched, I guess is it safe to replace the graphic card in favour of one of the followings without too much hassle (based on wattage and size limitations only... Not really sure about the heat !!!) :

- Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Now, hardest part is to find one of those at a decent price...