cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - unable to set RAM Command Rate to 2T

Godofmosquitoes
Level 7
Hi.

So, I have a rather strange problem. I load my system with the XMP profile for my RAM, which sets 14-14-14-34 timings. However, it's also supposed to set my RAM with a Command Rate of 2T. However, it sets it as 1T per default. This is where the strangeness begins. Even if I manually set the command rate to 2T in the BIOS, the system still boots with a 1T command rate. Once I get into Windows, I can fire up CPU-Z, HWinfo64 or any other tool showing current memory timings, and they all show the command rate as 1T. I've tried with both the 3302 and 3401 BIOS versions. Same results. Is this a bug in the BIOS, or...?

Edit: The 3501 beta BIOS doesn't resolve this either.
4 REPLIES 4

Nero_ink
Level 7
Only for curiosity...

Why do you want to degrade ram performance?

1T means it takes 1 clock cycle to "find" a memory bank, vs. 2T where it takes 2 clock cycles to "find" the memory bank.

Nero_ink wrote:
Only for curiosity...

Why do you want to degrade ram performance?

1T means it takes 1 clock cycle to "find" a memory bank, vs. 2T where it takes 2 clock cycles to "find" the memory bank.

I have a theory that there might be a slight instability with my RAM when running it at 1T. So I want to try and running it at 2T (which its specifications from G.Skill also rate it as), to see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: More specifically, when running Realbench 2.56 with 64GB, I get a 7Z error after about 40 minutes. When running it with 32GB, there are no issues. There are no WHEA errors in HWINFO64 though.

Godofmosquitoes wrote:
I have a theory that there might be a slight instability with my RAM when running it at 1T. So I want to try and running it at 2T (which its specifications from G.Skill also rate it as), to see if that resolves the issue.

There are two places in the BIOS to set the RAM parameters, one under Advanced tab and the other one under Extreme Tweaker. Have you tried both?

isaactwn wrote:
There are two places in the BIOS to set the RAM parameters, one under Advanced tab and the other one under Extreme Tweaker. Have you tried both?

I have now. None of them worked, though. Even setting both places as 2T didn't solve the issue. The system still reports 1T in Windows.