cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe a root Cause found: RT-AX88U Version 3.0.0.4.386.42819 block Apple iOS devices

Shinchan0125
Level 10
I recently update my AX88U to the newest firmware. I never had issue with my Apple Devices OTA until this newest firmware update.

From my APple Device, i can see the new firmware OTA 14.5.1. However, on my Apple device, when i go update firmware, it says its not connect to WIFI, so new OTA cant not be updated. But, i can surf internet, receive mail on my device.

To test this theory, I connect directly to my ATT Router, and OTA download now works. any idea why my AX88U never had problem until now with this new firmware?
26 REPLIES 26

ibushovskiy
Level 7
It's not Asus blocking it. The problem is that 42819 FW is bugged and Our WI-Fi data sending is blocked. Try to Update Apple Store apps via iPhone and your phone will ask to use Wi-Fi or Download (if your setting is set to "Always Ask" via Settings > App Store), which means that your phone is connected to Wi-Fi though it's blocked from reaching Wi-Fi data. I have the same problem with 2 phones at home connected to RT-AX88U though when I come to work then I'm able to download everything via Wi-Fi. So... right now we just use Cellular Connection with no Wi-Fi which is connected. Magic!

Asus do something with this and release a fixed FW!!!

ibushovskiy wrote:
It's not Asus blocking it. The problem is that 42819 FW is bugged and Our WI-Fi data sending is blocked. Try to Update Apple Store apps via iPhone and your phone will ask to use Wi-Fi or Download (if your setting is set to "Always Ask" via Settings > App Store), which means that your phone is connected to Wi-Fi though it's blocked from reaching Wi-Fi data. I have the same problem with 2 phones at home connected to RT-AX88U though when I come to work then I'm able to download everything via Wi-Fi. So... right now we just use Cellular Connection with no Wi-Fi which is connected. Magic!

Asus do something with this and release a fixed FW!!!

Yup same problem here, did a factory reset (took screenshots off all settings first) and yes "Agile Multiband" was enabled before factory reset, and after is was not, also had to forget Wi-Fi network and re-connect to Wi-Fi, so that's the fix, but wondering if there is something wrong with the Firmware or was it not working properly before...or an Apple (iOS, iPadOS) issues?

Hmm...

Shinchan0125
Level 10
App Store and update works fine for me. Its only the 14.5.1 OTA update that don't work. Evertything else seems to use ASUS Wifi with no problem.

edivalentin
Level 7
i got the same issue with wifi on this firmware i cannot update ota via wifi

*also the icloud backup doesnt work

I can also confirm the same problem.
On iOS devices and Android too.
On Android I have to set it to not metered connection in order to work properly.

Even latest firmware 42820 still have this problem. My iPhone can not download app via wifi.Â*

Shinchan0125
Level 10
whats weird about this issue is that I rolled back to March firmware, and it still doesnt work. SOmething happen on April 29 or April 30. That was my last successful iCloud backup. Everthying else after that seem to be blocking it. Anyone has any thought? It works fine i connect directly to my ATT Fiber router.

Shinchan0125
Level 10
more update on this.... after the firmware down grade.. i put it back to the newest firmware.
another thought came to me. All my iOS related product are on my 5Ghz wifi. IOT devices are on 2.4. I changed my iPhone to use the 2.4G and violla.. it was able to completed iCloud backup now.

My 2.4 Configuration: 802.11AX disabled, Wifi Agile Disabled, Tart Wake Time Disable...
My 5.0 Configuration: 802.11AX Enable, Wifi Agile Enable, Tart Wake Time Enable...

So, next trial was to change my 5.0 Configuration to matched 2.4.... but that also did not work .

So currently if i want to do anything related to iOS OTA or iCloud Backup, i need to move to 2.4G... please look into this..

edivalentin
Level 7
i downgraded to*3.0.0.4.386_42095, reseted the setting on the router, also the network setting on the ios side, now it works , i can backup via wifi*

i am afraid to upgrade to the latest 3.0.0.4.386_42820, as this was not fixing the issue