cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if we install new driver version do we need to uninstall old driver update?

RobinJack
Level 7
if we install new driver version do we need to uninstall old driver update? Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

MaXimus711
Level 10
RobinJack wrote:
if we install new driver version do we need to uninstall old driver update? Thanks in advance.

If you are installing a new nVIDIA driver, then no need, while installing the nVIDIA drivers, there is an option to Perform Clean Install . Just select that, and the installer will do the needed to remove all traces and registry entries of the old driver then install the new one

For any other drivers then offcourse you have to uninstall, reboot, then install the new driver

Drivers are the most important factor for your system's performance, this is why I have created an image of my Windows using Acronis True Image. That way, if a new driver is updated, I can restore my laptop to the image before I installed any drivers and I can have a fresh install of all my drivers

Offcourse, small driver updates like the LAN and WAN are not important, but Intel Chipset Drivers, Intel Rapid Storage, and nVIDIA drivers, I usually do this

This is just me though you don't have to do this. I just like my system to be perfect

BrodyBoy
Level 10
RobinJack wrote:

It really depends on the driver in question.....there's no universal "rule." Many can be installed with the previous driver in place, since they either remove the old driver or overwrite the necessary components, while some others (like Intel WLAN drivers) specifically recommend that you uninstall existing drivers first.

So it's a good idea to read the release notes before installing new drivers.