cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ASUS G73Sw Horror Story!

MaXimus711
Level 10
So I was looking for a new Notebook and my budget was $1350 USD and I just couldn't find a Notebook with a 17 inch screen and decent specs with this budget.

Finally I stumbled upon a computer shop selling ASUS Notebooks and found the ASUS G73Sw for $1156 USD with amazing specs! On paper, the Notebook impressed me very much....i7 Sandy Bridge @ 2.0 Ghz./8 GB DDR3 RAM/2x500GB Seagate Momentus XT HDDs/17 inch screen/GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB RAM

I bought the laptop then went home, only to be surprised that the keyboard doesn't illuminate as advertised. So I did a little bit of reading on the ASUS ROG Forums and it seems that many people are facing the same issue and there wasn't any real solution to fix it. I was very dissappointed and called the ASUS Servier Center the next day. They told me that is a common problem and asked me to bring my brand new notebook for repair WOW! :mad:

So I took the Notebook over to the ASUS service center and they fixed the issue with a BIOS tool (not a BIOS upgrade but they tweaked a hidden BIOS settings with their tools) and the keyboard lights were on. :mad:

Next, I know that my Notebook has 4 RAM slots, 2 underneath the keyboard and 2 in the back panel which is easily accessible. To my surprise, ASUS has placed one of the 4 GB SODIMMs under the keyboard, but they placed the one under the keyboard and the 2nd one under the back panel! How stupid can a the tech people over at ASUS get? This leaves me with only 1 SODIMM empty to upgrade technically unless I wanted to take the whole laptop apart to access the slot available under the keyboard So again, I called ASUS, and they told me they need to charge me $50 USD to move the RAM stick under the back panel to place it underneath the keyboard with the other stick in order for me to have 2 easily accessible slots should I wish to upgrade the RAM in the future! I had to argue with them for 30 mins to convince the person in charge to do it for free since this is a brand new laptop and it is not my fault that the ASUS technicians are very clumsy to start off with to put the RAM sticks in such a weird configuration. :mad:
:mad:
Then I noticed that the notebook although has an i7 CPU clocked @ 2.0 GHz. and can go up to 2.9 GHz. in Turbo mode, according to CPU-Z it was always idling @ 789 mhz and this was a BIOS bug and ASUS still didn't fix it! The last BIOS update for the G73Sw was 1 year ago in February 2011! I read about this on the ASUS forums as well and all the ASUS owners were facing this issue and had to use a program called Throttle-Stop to enable the CPU to run at the rated speed!

Finally, after using the Notebook for 27 days in total, I was browsing the net one night, and suddenly my screen started to flicker on/off then the color just changed to pale yellow! I tried restarting the Notebook, turning it off for a while but that didn't help! It seems like one of the cables which connects the LCD to the motherboard got loose! I had at this point and was not ready to take my Notebook again to that Service Center!

I fought all day long with the management of the store I bought it from and with ASUS but they refused to take back their crappy Notebook and give my back my money and instead offered me to leave it at their service center for repairs!! I barely used the damn thing it was always having troubles, random lockups, weird issues here and there!

So I called the police and they sent a cop who forced them to refund my money since I have a valid warranty and the laptop is still fairly new!

Thank god the police here in Dubai are very helpful and assisted me otherwise I would have been screwed!

This is my first ASUS laptop and the last! :mad:
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Man that is really a horror story dude. Pleased you got it sorted in the end.

And I can fully understand why you feel as you do.

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I loved the screen man. My dream was to have a 16 or 17 inch monitor and when I found that this laptop has a 17.3 screen for such a cheap price. I was thrilled! and I loved the performance...but the darn thing gave me so many headaches it wasn't even funny...and the ASUS service centre is very far from my house and you have to keep it there for days then come get it back...which means I have to back my entire 1 TB HDD(s) then copy them back at the end of the process...

Another thing which made me not want to repair a 1 month old laptop is me thinking...if this laptop only lasted me a month with so many troubles...imagine what would happen in a year when Im out of warranty....

Thats why I bought this Toshiba which you see in my sig but the screen is too tiny compared to the G73Sw 😞

sighh....

Wish the quality control was better @ ASUS but they have lost one customer for good because I wont dare to spend my money with them anymore 😞

evga
Level 9
I Own a Asus G73Jh ,and I dont trouble ASUS , I fix it my self.
thats the sweetest way to fix it. my G73 had a bad vga , just bought one through ebay ,and replaced my self , now its working like a beast.

evga wrote:
I Own a Asus G73Jh ,and I dont trouble ASUS , I fix it my self.
thats the sweetest way to fix it. my G73 had a bad vga , just bought one through ebay ,and replaced my self , now its working like a beast.

Yeah good for you but I don't pay my hard earned money to fix my laptop myself when I faced 3 issues in one month and one of them was serious about the monitor

evga
Level 9
all electronics could have issues, the one you bough should be born with issues, you should have told them to replace it for a new one.

evga wrote:
all electronics could have issues, the one you bough should be born with issues, you should have told them to replace it for a new one.

I tried believe me, they were insisting on me leaving it for a few days for repairs! I never enjoyed my laptop, I was always facing issues here and there and fixing it and formatting on a daily basis due to the lockups in order to try to iron out what the issue was

anyway...im glad the police came and forced the vendor i bought it from to refund my money 🙂

bye bye Asus