cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimm.2 Card Problems. Help needed

Feral_Rabbit
Level 7
HI guys,

I have a Maximus XI Extreme and have been using the Dimm.2 card, populated with 2 X 1Tb NVMe's, for 6 months without issues. Tonight I found that one of the NVMe's was not showing up on the desktop. It was also missing from Disk Manager.

I took out the Dimm.2 card and switched the NVMe's around and found that the card that was missing is now showing but the card that was showing is missing - as if one side of the Dimm.2 holder is faulty.

I have not touched the BIOS or any settings so I am thinking that the holder has a fault.

Is there anyone on here that has an alternative explanation? Or do I need a new Dimm.2 card?

Many thanks for any help offered
2 REPLIES 2

BigJohnny
Level 13
Could be the DIMM.2 itself and hopefully thats is. The other end is loss of signal from that slot through the MOBO. If it was working and you didn't change any settings in BIOS thats the most logical other than double checking the BIOS anyhow. While its not likely it is possible that its corrupted. Ive had it happen before especaially if you use the crap software AI Suite. I had that trash both roms on a dual BIOS MOBO and fortunately they were still socketed on the M8E and I bought two roms off of fleabay and installed them and flashed with the two BIOS files I wanted and did a clean install to get rid of every trace of the crappy software. Something about writes to BIOS while OS is loaded just isn't right. Not a mistake Ill make ever again. ASUS makes good hardware but the software, to be as politically correct as I am capable of, SUCKS!! AI SUITE, Crate, AURA all of it.

Just read the new posts from today, the vast majority are ASUS softrware issues and one vent on who writes this crap.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124003-ASUS-who-are-you-hiring-to-design-and-build-applica...

BigJohnny wrote:
Could be the DIMM.2 itself and hopefully thats is. The other end is loss of signal from that slot through the MOBO. If it was working and you didn't change any settings in BIOS thats the most logical other than double checking the BIOS anyhow. While its not likely it is possible that its corrupted. Ive had it happen before especaially if you use the crap software AI Suite. I had that trash both roms on a dual BIOS MOBO and fortunately they were still socketed on the M8E and I bought two roms off of fleabay and installed them and flashed with the two BIOS files I wanted and did a clean install to get rid of every trace of the crappy software. Something about writes to BIOS while OS is loaded just isn't right. Not a mistake Ill make ever again. ASUS makes good hardware but the software, to be as politically correct as I am capable of, SUCKS!! AI SUITE, Crate, AURA all of it.

Just read the new posts from today, the vast majority are ASUS softrware issues and one vent on who writes this crap.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124003-ASUS-who-are-you-hiring-to-design-and-build-applica...

Thank you Big Johnny!

I really didn't think that anything on the OS could change anything in the Bios. I thought the Bios was ring fenced for safety that is why I didn't bother checking it:rolleyes:

Something, I don't know what, had changed the PCI setting from, Dimm.2/Dimm.2 to Dimm.2/PCI16 (or something similar) I certainly didn't change anything as it scares the crap out of me when I did go into the Bios.

I did have a power cut the other day whilst the computer was booting up, ?cause. I don't use Asus software, I got put off with their Aura and Crate stuff as it was so poor.

I will keep man eye out for any anomolys and see what happens.

But thanks again for jogging me to look in the Bios. 🙂