cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G512LW-ES76 • Weird Display Issue

eXiLED_oRigINs
Level 7
I purchased this ROG Strix laptop (G512LW-ES76) about four months ago last year in December 2020 & it has been an enjoyable experience up until some time in the month of April. Where I started experiencing this weird display issue that is becoming more and more frustrating. Its difficult for me to explain the problem so I've attached some photos that demonstrates the issue.

This happens every time I power on the laptop and also whenever the display is woken up from sleep mode, in other words anytime the display has to turned on. The only way I've found so far that can get the display to show normally is by cycling the power button on and off until the display starts to show a proper image. I'm unable to determine whether this is a hardware (as in, the display is going bad) or a software issue.

I tried following some troubleshooting tips from here, but to no avail. Has anyone experienced anything like this and know of a way to fix this issue?
4 REPLIES 4

eXiLED_oRigINs
Level 7
Upon further testing I've determined that it's most likely a hardware issue, as the problem doesn't exist while using an external display. Tough I'm still unsure whether its the display panel itself, the ribbon cable that connects the panel to the main-board or the GPU.

All the info I've looked at online suggests that somehow the ribbon cable is no longer connected properly and that it is not necessarily that the cable has gone bad. I don't quite understand how this happened as I've never moved the laptop from the spot I placed it since I got it months ago, but whatever I guess.

The problem now is that I can't find any guides on how to connect the cable properly for my specific model G512LW-ES76. I don't want to open the thing up with no idea or reference as to what I'm doing.

xeromist
If you are still within the warranty period (and it sounds like you are) I would send it in for RMA. There's no way to tell from the outside if it's a poorly seated cable, damaged cable, or something else.

If you do decide to open it you don't need your exact hardware configuration, just a teardown of something in that line of machines.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Goodwin07
Level 7
eXiLED_oRigINs wrote:
I purchased this ROG Strix laptop (G512LW-ES76) about four months ago last year in December 2020 & it has been an enjoyable experience up until some time in the month of April. Where I started experiencing this weird display issue that is becoming more and more frustrating. Its difficult for me to explain the problem so I've attached some photos that demonstrates the issue.

This happens every time I power on the laptop and also whenever the display is woken up from sleep mode, in other words anytime the display has to turned on. The only way I've found so far that can get the display to show normally is by cycling the power button on and off until the display starts to show a proper image. I'm unable to determine whether this is a hardware (as in, the display is going bad) or a software issue.

I tried following some troubleshooting tips from here, but to no avail. Has anyone experienced anything like this and know of a way to fix this issue?

Did you have a display problem?