cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero IX - hangs on many different codes

nearvanaman
Level 7
Hi. I have a Hero IX for a number of years and in the last year I have been experiencing issues starting-up from a cold boot. It's not as simple as there being a single Q code that the system hangs on. There seems to be a different one each time.

A few days ago on a morning boot, it hung on each of these codes
61, 04, A2, AD, 78 - after resetting from this one it went to "Diagnosing your PC" in Windows from where I could just do "Continue to Windows" and it was fine.

This morning, it hung on:
62, AD (shut down itself), 62, A2 - and then finally it booted.

When I'm using the system I almost never have a blue screen or an issue doing a restart from Windows. It has restarted 100% of the time once the system has been up. I could leave the system up for a week or two and it would be completely stable.

So I guess I'm asking if there are any telltale signs of what my problem might be if the boot sequence is hanging on many different codes? This has been going on for over 12 months now and I'm fine with replacing something if I need to - I just don't know what!

Thanks very, very much.
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
I'd try a complete shutdown once it is warmed up and then immediately start it back up. If that works correctly like a restart does then that might point to something temperature related. Another thing in that vein you could try is warming various parts of the board with a hair dryer after it has been sitting overnight and see if that makes any difference for a cold boot.

Also, if you have any overclocks you should clear those and run at stock. You might just want to reset the BIOS to defaults if you've made any changes.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I'd try a complete shutdown once it is warmed up and then immediately start it back up. If that works correctly like a restart does then that might point to something temperature related. Another thing in that vein you could try is warming various parts of the board with a hair dryer after it has been sitting overnight and see if that makes any difference for a cold boot.

Also, if you have any overclocks you should clear those and run at stock. You might just want to reset the BIOS to defaults if you've made any changes.

I appreciate your reply to this. I tried it three times (I still don't always shut down the computer at night as there are some mornings I need the computer working straight away).

Two of the three times the computer hung on first boot but started on second attempt. Both occasions I left it on for a minute, shut it down completely and then started it up again. It booted up without issue both times.

But it may be that it is related to temperature and your comment has led me to research that angle. I'll keep looking for the solution. Thanks.