cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Windows 10 setup stick download or create ROG GL702VM

STYLUS3530
Level 7
Hi

I have two of the same ROG-type gaming laptops in the household, namely the ASUS ROG GL702VM. Now it is true that one of them still has the original version of Windows10 Home, on the other the original version has been deleted and replaced by Windows 10 Education. However, I now want to put back the original version on the second one, as it actually came from the factory. Is it possible to download this version somewhere, or can I alternatively create an original stick somehow via my second laptop?

Thanks in advance

Stylus
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
That's a delicate licensing situation. The only way to get the second one back to OEM is send it to ASUS and they will do it for you for a fee. Once the factory restore partition was destroyed that was the end of that. No other way to get it back to factory original with the reset this computer putting it back to factory fresh. Its an OEM license so thats an ASUS issue to address. Ive seen people have it done but its gonna cost you. The other method is to Buy a copy of Windows 10 home and in the C drive of the one still running factory config should be a folder named eSupport that will contain all the files for the original software that can be put on a disk and used to get the non factory version back to factory set up less some bloatware and the factory reset partition.

I know its too late now but what I do when I get a new laptop is boot it up, do all the updates, don't install anything. Clone that drive to a new drive (usually you can get a better one anyhow than the factory drive) then put the original in a drawer for safe keeping. If you ever need to put it back to factory state you have the ability by just putting that drive back in or if you need to send it in for service just pop out the new drive and pop in the original and send it off, no worries of compromising personal information. If it has limited ability for drive space Ive had to clone from an NVME to a 2.5 inch sata, pull the original NVME and put in the new one and clone back then I have my new drive in a factory state and the original in a drawer when needed. Still have the original drive from a G74SX, G751JL, G751JY and G752VY in the cases the new drives came in and labeled what they go to. If it was a retail copy of windows its as easy as one license per machine and you can change it but it can only be running on one machine at a time.

Wish I had better news for you but the only recourse you have is send it with the original drive (nothing else as if its not factory components they wont touch it) and pay them to image the drive. The other is to buy a home license RETAIL not a discount OEM or recycled key from discount keys are us that dont work half the time and you dont have much recourse as its a violation of MS Eula. Get it off the MS site and link it to an account. Then you have that license forever and if you need to do a reinstall you can. Then use the eSupport foder for drivers but this still wont give you the factory reset partition, only ASUS can do that but you can get it going and once its set back it up to and external drive or NAS so you can put it back to a fresh state if needed.

You may be able to clone the drive in the orignal and buy a new license to activate it but Ive not tried that nor have I ever heard of it being done.

xeromist
None of the above is necessary anymore. Microsoft fingerprints the hardware of Windows 10 machines for licensing. Just follow Microsoft's instructions on creating a Win 10 Home installation drive from a blank 8GB USB drive. Then, if prompted during install click the link to say you don't have a key and it will activate later when it connects to the Internet.

Afterward you won't have any ASUS specific software but you can download that from the Support page for your model.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
None of the above is necessary anymore. Microsoft fingerprints the hardware of Windows 10 machines for licensing. Just follow Microsoft's instructions on creating a Win 10 Home installation drive from a blank 8GB USB drive. Then, if prompted during install click the link to say you don't have a key and it will activate later when it connects to the Internet.

Afterward you won't have any ASUS specific software but you can download that from the Support page for your model.

Xeromist, you forget he has a second GL702VM. Make a copy of the eSupport folder on the OEM laptop and place in same position on the affected laptop. Then run AsInsWiz.exe located in the eSupport/edriver folder. This would install most if not all the ASUS programs and OEM drivers. Still have a bunch of updates but this would be a good start.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Follow what jdfrench3 said first. If you prefer a fresh virgin Windows install then you can download Windows from the Microsoft Media Creation website. Or you can download Windows from the Rufus app and create Windows Installation Media with Rufus as well. The difference from the Factory image and a Virgin Windows image is the Virgin image has no 3rd party Crapware where as the Factory image does. The downside of the Virgin install method is you have to install or update all drivers, chipset drivers, storage drivers, Other hardware drivers, possibly the network and WI-FI drivers and possibly the Intel Serial IO controller driver that allows the trackpad driver to function. In addition, you will have to install all software that was on the factory image from the Asus support page. FYI, the trackpad may not function during the installation process and until you install the Intel Serial IO controller driver after Windows installation. Just make sure you have a mouse in case the trackpad doesn't work. Also, no need for the product key. If the laptop doesn't auto activate then call the number provided to activate through an automated system or with an actual human.