cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable i5's graphics

mastrom101
Level 7
I have an i5 2500K and an Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard.
Upon my first boot, I ran the windows performance assesment, and got 7.7 CPU, 7.8 Ram, 5.8 HD, and two 1's for Graphics. After i rebooted, the computer wasn't loading graphic properly. I decided to plop in an old graphic card i found in my basement (must be several years old) and then i received 4 for gaming graphics, and 4.8 for aero graphics.

So basically:
1. Should i keep the existing GPU or use the i5's? I can find out the model when i get home in a few hours.
2. How do you turn on the i5's graphical core? (Please explain it as basic as possible, like tell me exactly what has to be turned on in the bios, etc)
3. Can i run the i5s simultaneously with my other card? Would you reccomend this?
4. Are there any features on this motherboard that i should enable/disable to boost performance?

Edit
This is just going to be an all around computer, needs to be stable. I want it to be able to run some games though. Some of the low ends games will be like Minecraft, runescape, and other java games. higher end will enclude ME3, call of duty and skyrim. I don`t really care about saving power, but i need stability. Note that i will only be gaming 10-20% of the time, the rest will be social networking and office docs.

Also, nobody has anwsered my main question yet: `How do i enable the graphic core on my MOBO"
And also, if im running both a graphic card and the intel hd 3000 graphics, do i plug my monitor in the GPU or MOBO?

Thanks so much,
Mastrom
5 REPLIES 5

KILLER_K
Level 10
The igpu on the cpu is pretty decent now. I would just use it for now. since the other card is several years old now. If you booted into windows and didn't have add-on card then it is on. You was using the dvi/vga out on the motherboard i/o plate. Yes you can run it with another card, switch it if you like to conserve power. Or use it for the lucid virtu tech where it really shines. Thanks

xeromist
mastrom101 wrote:
Should i keep the existing GPU or use the i5's?

First, let's start with what you will be doing with the computer. The integrated graphics is very basic but it takes up no additional space and consumes very little power. Depending on what you need that may or may not be the best choice.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

added some details

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your onboard graphics will be fine for the basic stuff, but most certainly not any of the newer titles that you have mentioned.

For those games you will need a newer card to fully appreciate the graphics.

I would not bother with the onboard graphics in all honesty.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kittendoggie
Level 9
You need to download and install the graphics driver in order to enable it. I am using a celeron g530 with a p8h67-m lx mobo for my htpc and I was getting bad graphics performance and I was wondering why. I had to install the graphics driver from the Asus website. My windows experience index before the driver was low. Now, after the driver, it is 4.9 (aero) and 5.7 (3D).

Best of luck

P.S. I forgot to mention that before the graphics driver installation I could not even play HD movies. Now I can even play diablo 3 beta on the lowest settings, not to mention hd movies which are absolutely spot on. I am actually rather convinced this is the cause of your problem. Go here:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z68-V+LX&p=1&s=39

and download the intel graphics accelerator, under VGA. It is 390MB !!