cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need HELP for a ROG G703GX XS71 Memory RAM upgrade !!

popel45
Level 7
I am having a real hard time trying to find an easy way to upgrade my computer RAM from the "stock" 16 GB to the max possible 64 GB.

This Model, I understand, comes with 4 DIMM slots but, and this is something I realized only after having purchased it, 2 of the DIMM Slots are physically placed on the "back" of the motherboard (basically under the keyboard, not visible nor easily accessible), while the other 2 DIMM slots are placed on the "front" of the Motherboard and, are easily accessible by simply removing the rear panel.

The "back" 2 DIMM Slots, instead, as I understand it, in order to be accessed, need to have the Laptop be disassembled, the Cooling Unit removed, the Motherboard unscrewed.

Frankly, I do not want, for a mere RAM Memory upgrade, to want to go through this.... I mean, when doing it, something might go wrong and an expensive Computer could get damaged (the Thermal Paste for the Cooling System would also need to be reapplied). I am surprised to see a Ram Memory upgrade needing to do that, should one want to reach the max RAM possible.

Anyways, I was wondering, whether there could be a way to still be able to get the 64 GB max Memory possible, in DUAL Channel, BUT, using only 3 of the 4 DIMM Slots.

I have read at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html that sometimes, Dual-channel (interleaved) mode is possible using only "part" of the DIMM slots available, not all.

That Intel Link, for example, mentions one configuration as Dual-channel with three DIMMs whereas 1 Channel has only one DIMM slot occupied, and the 2nd Channel has 2 slots occupied.

What is important, to my understanding, is that the "total" memory for each of the two Channels is the same.

So, I thought, "what if" I use the one DIMM slot on the "back" of the Motherboard "factory" occupied with the 16 GM Module, the other DIMM slot still at the "back" of the Motherboard (not accessible side) stay empty (this way I would not need to have to access the back part of the Motherboard), and couple the one Factory installed 16 GB Module with another 16 GB Module (total 32 GB) on the Slot paired for that Channel but that is one of the 2 visible and easily accessible from the Rear Panel.

Then, I would put on the 2nd DIMM Slot of those 2 visible and easily accessible from the Rear Panel at the "front" of the Motherboard, to my understanding belonging to the other Channel, a 32 GB Module.

Would I, at this point, be having a fully functioning Interleaved Dual Channel 64 GB Memory working in 2 pairs of (16 GB + 16 GB) = 32GB in two Modules on the 1st Channel and 32 GB in one Module on the 2nd Channel ?

I really do not want to have to disassemble this ROG Laptop in order to be able to reach the Max 64 GB RAM configuration...

Has anyone tried this on this Model or knows whether it would work ?

Do the DIMM slots on this particular Model support 32 GB memory per single bank slot of memory ?

Or perhaps do you have other suggestions on how I could be able, easily, without having to disassemble the Laptop, to reach in Dual Channel the full capacity of 64 GB RAM Memory ?

Thank you SO much for the kind help.
26 REPLIES 26

xeromist
First check HWINFO before you buy anything. If it says you're in dual channel then you have 2x8GB vs 1x16GB. Even if other people may have had 1x16 that can change over time so double check your machine first.

Second, it's never recommended to mix memory. Results are unpredictable and can be unstable or require slower speeds than expected. For the best chance of everything working correctly out of the box you want to buy a matched kit of memory that has the capacity you want. If you don't feel comfortable installing it you can take it to a local PC shop for installation. But if you are going to mix memory make sure you buy it from a shop that allows free returns.

After install you can run several copies of HCI Memtest to fill up the memory and see if it is stable.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thank you for your reply.

xeromist wrote:
First check HWINFO before you buy anything. If it says you're in dual channel then you have 2x8GB vs 1x16GB. Even if other people may have had 1x16 that can change over time so double check your machine first.

Unfortunately, not all Vendors have the same RMA policy, some are more restrictive and do not accept returns for computers which might have been opened and used....

I'd rather much more prefer that the technical specifications were to be the most comprehensive as possible so that buyers could really be informed well before deciding on a purchase.
For example, had I known that for this particular Model 2 of the 4 DIMM bank slots had been placed on the back of the Motherboard, in a non visible and not easily accessible location that required having to disassemble the unit in order to physically access them, I would have never bought it.

But I only realized this too late.

Another thing which I did not like, particularly for a Laptop this expensive, is, to my opinion, the extremely limited informations contained in it, in the section about upgrading the RAM. I would have expected a whole lot more informations to be contained in the Manual about such a useful issue to buyers.

Second, it's never recommended to mix memory. Results are unpredictable and can be unstable or require slower speeds than expected. For the best chance of everything working correctly out of the box you want to buy a matched kit of memory that has the capacity you want. If you don't feel comfortable installing it you can take it to a local PC shop for installation. But if you are going to mix memory make sure you buy it from a shop that allows free returns.

After install you can run several copies of HCI Memtest to fill up the memory and see if it is stable.

According to ASUS technical support, my Unit was installed a 16 GB Samsung Memory Module by the code M471A2K43CB1-CTD. So , I guess, the matching memory that I would need would have to be 260pin SO-DIMM, 1.2 V, non-ECC, unbuffered, DDR4-2666 (PC4-2666).

Sure, I could take it to a Local PC Store and have they disassemble it to physically access the 2 DIMM bank slots located on the back of the Motherboard but this, is still a risky job on a perfectly functioning "expensive" unit and thus, the service charges would reflect the risk taken by the local PC shop on a Laptop that is so expensive, thus making this RAM upgrade too costly to be considered.

At this time, I am trying to find an easier alternative that would NOT require to have to take apart the Laptop in order to upgrade its RAM to the max possible 64 GB in DUAL Channel Mode.

That is why I came to these Forums, to seek for help..... I am hoping that, perhaps, there might be some way possible to still upgrade the RAM of this unit to the full max 64 GB possible, in DUAL Channel Mode, WITHOUT having to disassemble the Laptop..... perhaps, as I mentioned in my OP Post, in INTERLEAVED Mode using only 3 of the available 4 slots thus leaving 1 of those 2 not easily accessible DIMM slots at the back of the Motherboard as empty ?

I am still very much surprised at seeing how difficult and complicated has been made by ASUS the upgrading for this particular ROG Model of its RAM.

It never came up to my mind, when I considered the purchase of this particular Model, that I might have run into these difficulties when wanting to upgrade its RAM to the max possible 64 GB in DUAL Channel Mode.

xeromist
What you described might work, I just don't know. If you decide to try it please post the results here for others.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
What you described might work, I just don't know. If you decide to try it please post the results here for others.

There is one thing, though, that I am uncertain of....

When I contacted ASUS Support, they told me that this particular ROG Model had DIMM Slots which support up to 16 GB, not 32 GB.
Now, this is not mentioned in the Manual so I was not able to read it.

I am not sure whether the max capacity handled "per" DIMM bank slot is determined by the type of CPU (the Model I have comes with an Intel Core i7 (8th Gen) 8750H / 2.2 GHz) or by the Chipset (the Model I have comes with a Mobile Intel HM370 Chipset). And, whether it is something which could be modified in the BIOS....

What I am trying to say is, that my technical knowledge is quite limited and while I may read here and there, I still am uncertain by a whole lot of things.

This is the reasons why I came to these Forums, in the hope to find some help.....

Is there a way that I could possibly MAKE SURE to verify what capacity my DIMM bank slots can handle as max ?

Is it 16 GB as I have been told by ASUS Support or is there a way to verify whether they can handle 1 Module of 32 GB without hurting the computer in the process ?

That is, is it something which can be looked at (and perhaps changed) in the BIOS ?
Is it something that is determined by what CPU one has ?
Or is it something that is determined by what Chipset one has ?

Can anyone more knowledged please tell me if there is a way for me to make sure about this before trying it ?

Thank you.

xeromist
Installing an oversized DIMM would not hurt the machine. The worst case is it just wouldn't work. That said, usually the "limit" is because that's what has been tested, not because there's any actual hardware limit. Support can't recommend configurations that haven't been tested.

There are limits to how much memory the memory controller on a CPU can address and Windows also has a limit but you are nowhere near either of those.

Perhaps I should also point out that the vast majority of users don't need 64GB of memory and will get zero benefit vs 16 or 32GB configurations. If you just game, you don't need it and it would be a waste of money. If you do 4K video editing then it would be necessary. So hopefully you've made sure you actually need it before going to this trouble.

Sanctrum
Level 9
@popel45.
First, install CPUID CPU-Z software so you can confirm if installed RAM modules are in-line with what ASUS support said. You will find this info at SPD tab per each slot.
Second, if you have other laptops, install this CPUID there and check what modules there are too. If they match the parameters (including the voltage) on Memory and SPD tabs then you can experiment without any cost and temporarily put RAM from other laptop to see how it works and if dual channel is enabled or not.

As xeromist has written... For gaming you do not need 64GB or RAM at all. 16GB would be enough. If you insist for 32GB but without dual channel enabled, I would rather pick only 16GB but with dual channel enabled.

Sanctrum wrote:
@popel45.
First, install CPUID CPU-Z software so you can confirm if installed RAM modules are in-line with what ASUS support said. You will find this info at SPD tab per each slot.
Second, if you have other laptops, install this CPUID there and check what modules there are too. If they match the parameters (including the voltage) on Memory and SPD tabs then you can experiment without any cost and temporarily put RAM from other laptop to see how it works and if dual channel is enabled or not.

As xeromist has written... For gaming you do not need 64GB or RAM at all. 16GB would be enough. If you insist for 32GB but without dual channel enabled, I would rather pick only 16GB but with dual channel enabled.

Thank you for the advice.

I am going to do some Streaming and Video Editing so, I figured, more RAM would be helpfull....

One thing I do not know, and even though I have asked it to ASUS Support but, so far, they did not send it to me, is how the DIMM bank slots are paired on the Motherboard.... that is, which is Slot 0, Slot 1, Slot 2 and which Slot 3.

I mean, "Physically"..... I know that 2 are placed on the back of the Motherboards (those not accessable if not disassembling the Laptop all the way to unscrewing the Motherboard) and 2 are placed on the front (those easily accessable by simply removing the rear Panel), and I know that the "factory installed" 16 GB Module is installed in one of the 2 slots on the back of the Motherboard.... the problem is, that I have no idea, because the Manual says nothing about this.... which I found as very strange for a Laptop that is supposed to be high end like this one.... what Slot is the Factory installed Module on, and which is the slot that pairs with it for DUAL Channel functionality...

Does anyone by any chance have a Schematic (break down) of the DIMM bank slots so that I can see which is ?
What would also greatly help, is the RAM Configuration Table which, again, did NOT come with the Latop Manual.....

I have asked for this to ASUS Support but, so far, received nothing....

One thing which I would also love, is the "direct" e-mail, if anyone has it, to ASUS Tek.Inc. in TAIPEI, Taiwan.... both for Customer Support and Technical Support.

Unfortunately, their Web Page always sends me to the Regional Support but I would like to contact directly their "main" offices, if possible....

xeromist
The video that was linked (in the other thread?) indicated that they got dual channel performance installing only two on the back. That would indicate that there is one slot from each of the two channels on the back and one from each of the channels on the front. I still have no idea if leaving a slot empty and mixing modules would work though. You're in uncharted territory there.

xeromist wrote:
The video that was linked (in the other thread?) indicated that they got dual channel performance installing only two on the back. That would indicate that there is one slot from each of the two channels on the back and one from each of the channels on the front. I still have no idea if leaving a slot empty and mixing modules would work though. You're in uncharted territory there.

Thank you for the reply.

I do not understand.

If, as you say, "there is one slot from each of the two channels on the back and one from each of the channels on the front ", how someone has been able to install 2 Modules on both DIMM bank slots located in the back of the Motherboard and use them in DUAL Channel ?

If those 2 DIMM bank slots physically located at the back of the Motherboard belong EACH to one separate Channel, then, installing Memory on both, would have the 2 Memory Modules operating one for each Channel and, thus, in SINGLE Mode....

Do you have a Link to this Video that you mention ?

I REALLY do not understand why ASUS, for such an expensive ROG Laptop, made a RAM upgrade to have to be so complicated.... also, it is inexplicable to me why there is no documentation that I could find with the Manual in regards to possible RAM configurations, description of ALL 4 DIMM bank Slots and how they are paired, Graphics of it and all that.

And , even though I keep asking for this documentation from my Regional ASUS Support office, I am still waiting to receive it....

Does anyone have an e-mail that I could write to for the ASUS Tek Inc. Headquarters in TAIPEI, Taiwan, both for Customer Support and Technical Support ?

Thank you.

EDIT.

After an additional request (and telephone call to prompt a reply to my query) from me to the ASUS Regional Tech Support to please send me the RAM Compatibility Chart as well as the Schematics with Graphics for the 4 DIMM bank slots of my ROG Laptop Model in order to understand which 2 DIMM bank slots belong to 1 Channel and which other 2 DIMM bank slots belong to the other Channel, I finally got an e-mail in reply.

Well, if I understood it correctly from their e-mail to me, they said that they do not have these informations as available and, therefore, they cannot send them to me....

I am speechless.

This is a high end, expensive ROG Laptop, and there is no RAM Compatibility Chart from ASUS Tek Inc. nor Schematics with Graphic visualizations of the 4 DIMM bank slots as available from their Official Tech Support to tell me which 2 DIMM bank slots pertain to 1 Channel and which other 2 DIMM bank slots pertain to the other Channel ?

And if that was not enough, I was also told that, if I was to disassemble the Laptop and to unscrew the Motherboard in order to access the 2 DIMM bank slots that by Factory design where placed on the back of the motherboard, the Laptop's Warranty would be Void....

Excuse me ?

Because of the Design of this Laptop there is no other way to upgrade its RAM, to my understanding, to the full capacity of 64 GB in DUAL Channel but having to disassemble the Laptop and unscrew the Motherboard but doing this would Void the Warranty ?

So this means that one cannot upgrade the Laptop's RAM to its full capacity ?

For a Republic of Gamers "High End" Laptop whereas one would expect performance to be quite important ?

I do not know what else to say or think, at this point......