MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Dual channel = two channels. You want to have memory in each channel in order for it to work in parallel. If you put everything in the same channel it would be addressed linearly = single channel performance. This arrangement in this machine is exactly what I would expect as it's the only way that makes sense but the video confirms it. JD posted it in the other thread you've been posting in. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...GX-upgrade-RAM

It's not really that complicated. The expectation is if a customer needs more memory they will simply buy a kit and install it under the easy access panel. Add a 16GB kit to get 32, add 32 to get 48GB. Simple. The hidden slots are not really intended to be for customer use. They are there so ASUS can sell different variants with different amounts of memory from the factory while leaving the easy access slots open for customer upgrades later. I’m certain that when ASUS envisions a 64GB configuration it would be 32GB from the factory and 32GB added by the customer later.

I agree it would be mildly annoying to have 16GB of total memory working in single channel mode but it doesn't seem like you've actually confirmed that is the case with CPU-Z or HWINFO. You're still just assuming you have a single stick without any confirmation. The engineers who designed it probably expected these units to ship with two sticks populated in the back slots but likely the memory supplier offered a better deal so a lot of units shipped with 1x16GB. But it's also possible some units shipped with 2x8GB sticks depending on available supplies. So you should check.

Regarding the warranty, representatives don't always know what they're talking about. I would read the actual warranty terms for your region. Here in the US it is no longer legal to deny warranty coverage simply for opening a device.

I also wouldn’t expect to acquire some sort of “diagram” of the memory slots. More likely your manual just says to open the back panel and install 2 sticks there. No reason to author a diagram that people might find confusing when direct instruction can be provided. People often misunderstand how dual channel works so it’s better to just tell them where to put the memory rather than let them guess incorrectly.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Dual channel = two channels. You want to have memory in each channel in order for it to work in parallel. If you put everything in the same channel it would be addressed linearly = single channel performance. This arrangement in this machine is exactly what I would expect as it's the only way that makes sense but the video confirms it. JD posted it in the other thread you've been posting in. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...GX-upgrade-RAM
    So, you are saying, please, correct me if I understood it as wrong, that the 2 DIMM bank slots physically located on the "back" of the Motherboard, and only accessible after disassembling the Laptop and unscrewing the motherboard, together make it for 1st Channel, while the other 2 DIMM bank slots which are physically located at the "front" of the Motherboard, and are those easily accessible by only removing the rear panel, together make it for the 2nd Channel ?

So, in this case, should I install, in one of the 2 DIMM bank slots which are physically located at the "front" of the Motherboard, that is, those easily accessible by only removing the rear panel, a "matching" 16 GB RAM Module compatible with the 16 GB one, - "factory installed" in one of the 2 DIMM bank slots physically located on the "back" of the Motherboard, and only accessible after disassembling the Laptop and unscrewing the motherboard -, this should provide me at least 32 GM RAM functioning in DUAL Channel ?

It's not really that complicated. The expectation is if a customer needs more memory they will simply buy a kit and install it under the easy access panel. Add a 16GB kit to get 32, add 32 to get 48GB. Simple. The hidden slots are not really intended to be for customer use. They are there so ASUS can sell different variants with different amounts of memory from the factory while leaving the easy access slots open for customer upgrades later. I’m certain that when ASUS envisions a 64GB configuration it would be 32GB from the factory and 32GB added by the customer later.
    While that could make sense in many cases, for those instances whereas the customer would then need, for necessities arosen "after" the purchase, to upgrade the system Memory to the full capacity possible, they would still need to go through the necessity to disassemble the Laptop, remove the Cooling System, unscrew the Motherboard and all that.

I agree it would be mildly annoying to have 16GB of total memory working in single channel mode but it doesn't seem like you've actually confirmed that is the case with CPU-Z or HWINFO. You're still just assuming you have a single stick without any confirmation. The engineers who designed it probably expected these units to ship with two sticks populated in the back slots but likely the memory supplier offered a better deal so a lot of units shipped with 1x16GB. But it's also possible some units shipped with 2x8GB sticks depending on available supplies. So you should check.
    I run the HWinfo64 and this screenshot is what shows

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWinfo64_RAM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	88692

I am not familiar with understanding this Utility but, I seem to understand, that the "factory installed" Memory Module is 16GB in 1 single Module. And that, since it is only 1, it of course is working in Single Channel Mode.

So, if I understood it correctly what you suggested, and please, correct me if I understood it as wrong, installing a "matching" Memory Module in "any" of the 2 DIMM bank slots which can be easily accessed by removing the Rear Panel at the back of the Laptop I should be able to at least have 32 GB working in DUAL Channel Mode ?

In this regards, I am having a serious hard time trying to find, even from Online Vendors, a "same code" SAMSUNG Memory Module as indicated by the Local ASUS Technical Support. That is , a DDR4 2666 SO-D 16GB 260P SAMSUNG/M471A2K43CB1-CTD Memory Module.

All Vendors seem to be out of stock of this particular Memory Module.

One of the Vendors, though, has suggested me to use a SAMSUNG M471A2K43DB1-CTD Memory Module calling it a "successor" to the one Memory Module that was "factory installed" on my ROG Laptop.

The 2 Memory codes "differ" in only 1 letter. The Factory installed one is M471A2K43CB1-CTD while the one suggested to me and indicated as a "successor" Memory Module is SAMSUNG M471A2K43DB1-CTD.

So, one has a letter " C " the other a letter " D ". I am not sure if there is any difference in the specifics of these 2 SAMSUNG Memory slots.
    I have asked to my Local ASUS Technical Support whether I can use this other SAMSUNG Memory Module, since I cannot find as available for sale, the one that they indicated, but so far got no reply from them....

Regarding the warranty, representatives don't always know what they're talking about. I would read the actual warranty terms for your region. Here in the US it is no longer legal to deny warranty coverage simply for opening a device.
    That would be a good thing to do, only problem is, that I am not sure where to fnd such an information from.... I am in the European Union.

I also wouldn't expect to acquire some sort of “diagram" of the memory slots. More likely your manual just says to open the back panel and install 2 sticks there. No reason to author a diagram that people might find confusing when direct instruction can be provided. People often misunderstand how dual channel works so it's better to just tell them where to put the memory rather than let them guess incorrectly.
    Indeed, that is only what my ROG Laptop Manual says.... open the real Panel, and place the RAM Memory in the 1 or both of the 2 accessible DIMM bank slots...

YET, as it is explained at this INTEL Link which I indicated within the initial Post of this Thread https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-and-kits.html , various configurations seem to be still possible, and permit DUAL Channel Mode functionality with "part" of the DIMM bank slots used.... I think that it would be VERY beneficial if ASUS Tek Inc. was to provide a Table of all the possible compatible RAM Configurations possible for this particular ROG Laptop Model because they tested them to work, in DUAL and SINGLE Channel Mode, so that ASUS Customers could rely on such a Table of compatible RAM Configurations to have an easier time when trying to upgrade the RAM.

It is amazing to me that, something which should be an extremely easy thing to do, a RAM Memory upgrade, might instead become such a complex and stressing thing because of lack of sufficient informations, support and detailed instructions.
    Last edited by popel45; 05-17-2021 at 09:10 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array

Slots 0 and 2 are on the back of the motherboard, both of these slots are on Channel 0 (Bank 0).

The slots on the front of the motherboard are slots 1 and 3, both of these slots are on Channel 1 (Bank 1).

If you add memory to either front slots you will get dual channel.

You don't need to have same size memory but you should try to get memory that works with what is already there.

Don't make it any more complicated than it already is.

Good Luck!
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    Slots 0 and 2 are on the back of the motherboard, both of these slots are on Channel 0 (Bank 0).

The slots on the front of the motherboard are slots 1 and 3, both of these slots are on Channel 1 (Bank 1).

You don't need to have same size memory but you should try to get memory that works with what is already there.

Good Luck!
    Wow, really? That doesn't jive with the video you posted in the other thread. That guy put both modules on the back side. I hope he checked it before shipping it back to the customer.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

@Popel

Yes your screenshot confirms it's a single stick on the back. You were correct but it's always best to check before making any purchase decisions. It makes me feel better anyway.

If jdfrench is correct then that means the video is wrong. Either way though, if you put a single 16GB stick on the front side you can get 32GB of dual channel performance. If JD is right then it doesn't matter which slot you use. If the video is right then you may have to swap it to the other slot on the front if you boot up and it still shows single-channel mode.

There is a complication to your original plan, however. If JD is right then using two different sized sticks on the front to reach a total of 64 in dual channel would not be possible. Everything you add would be in one channel and the 16GB stick on the back would be in the other channel. So only the first 16GB of each channel would be dual operation (32GB total) and everything beyond that would be single-channel.

I think the C to D model change should be relatively minor. Sometimes manufacturers make small revisions but if they say it's supposed to be a successor then it should be pretty close. Just buy it from a shop that allows returns in case you encounter any problems.

Regarding your warranty, I believe this document applies worldwide and says nothing about voiding the warranty simply by opening. If you damage it while doing upgrades, sure. Not just opening it though. https://www.asus.com/support/images/...aming%20NB.pdf

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post

Good Luck!
    Thank you for your kind reply.

I do have a question...

Considering that I seem to have the "factory installed " 16 GB Memory Module installed on 1 of the 2 "back" DIMM bank slots, since I can only access the 2 "front" DIMM bank slots, at least easily, by removing the Rear Panel, do you think that I would be able to achieve the full 64 GB capacity in DUAL Channel by using only 3 DIMM bank slots (the 1 "factory installed" at the back of the Motherboard + the 2 easily accessable at the front of the Motherboard) ?

According to this INTEL Link, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-and-kits.html Dual-channel (interleaved) mode is possible using only "part" of the DIMM slots available, not all.

That Intel Link, for example, mentions one configuration as Dual-channel with three DIMMs whereas 1 Channel has only one DIMM slot occupied, and the 2nd Channel has 2 slots occupied.

What is important, to my understanding, is that the "total" memory for each of the two Channels is the same.

So, if you say that Slots 0 and 2 are on the "back" of the motherboard, and that both of these slots are on Channel 0 (Bank 0) while the slots on the front of the motherboard are slots 1 and 3, and that both of these slots are on Channel 1 (Bank 1) would it work if :

I leave the "factory installed" 16 GB Module on either slot 0 or 2 where it is placed, install another 16 GB Module on either slot 1 OR slot 3 that would match the one of the Factory installed 16 GB Module and then, on the other slot remaining empty for 1 and 3 place a 32 GB Module.

Would I get "interleaved", fully functioning 64 GB DUAL Channel Mode functionality even if I only used 3 out of 4 of the DIMM bank slots leaving 1 empty ?

What do you think ?

EDIT.

You indicate that Slots 0 and 2 are on the "back" of the motherboard, and that both of these slots are on Channel 0 (Bank 0) while the slots on the front of the motherboard are slots 1 and 3, and that both of these slots are on Channel 1 (Bank 1) out of personal experience or is there any documentation from ASUS Tek Inc. about this particular ROG Laptop indicating this ?

The reason that I am asking, is that I am astonished by the scarcity of informations in this regards, at least, that I could find....
    I mean, it would have been MUCH easier for buyers to be able to read this in the Manual for this Laptop rather then having to go all over the Web to try to find answers to their questions or, have to learn it by personal experience...

So, I am much curious to know how you were able to find that out, whether from reading some official ASUS documentation, or whether from personal experience working on this particular model motherboard.

Thank you.
    Last edited by popel45; 05-18-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Moderator Array

Hello popel45,
    I'm from ASUS HQ Customer service team.
    Thank you for your feedback. I have reported them for future improvement.

Please kindly understand that as a general rule, for all of our laptop products, we do not openly encourage customer to do hardware upgrade or changes
    If customer want to install new hardware, our standard reply would be suggesting customer to buy the RAM or hard disk they want and send it back to our official service center.
    Then we can help with the installation, guarantee the the result and make sure that the warranty would not expire.
    Please consider the above suggestion. Thank you.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    @Popel

Yes your screenshot confirms it's a single stick on the back. You were correct but it's always best to check before making any purchase decisions. It makes me feel better anyway.

If jdfrench is correct then that means the video is wrong. Either way though, if you put a single 16GB stick on the front side you can get 32GB of dual channel performance. If JD is right then it doesn't matter which slot you use. If the video is right then you may have to swap it to the other slot on the front if you boot up and it still shows single-channel mode.

There is a complication to your original plan, however. If JD is right then using two different sized sticks on the front to reach a total of 64 in dual channel would not be possible. Everything you add would be in one channel and the 16GB stick on the back would be in the other channel. So only the first 16GB of each channel would be dual operation (32GB total) and everything beyond that would be single-channel.

I think the C to D model change should be relatively minor. Sometimes manufacturers make small revisions but if they say it's supposed to be a successor then it should be pretty close. Just buy it from a shop that allows returns in case you encounter any problems.

Regarding your warranty, I believe this document applies worldwide and says nothing about voiding the warranty simply by opening. If you damage it while doing upgrades, sure. Not just opening it though. https://www.asus.com/support/images/...aming%20NB.pdf

As in regards to what Memory Module to use, I finally got a reply from the local ASUS Technical Support.

But, unfortunately, they told me that they cannot help me, if I understood them correctly....

So, I "should" use a Memory Module that matches the one "factory installed" which is the DDR4 2666 SO-D 16GB 260P SAMSUNG/M471A2K43CB1-CTD Memory Module but, unfortunately, all Vendors seem to be out of stock of this particular Memory Module.

And I cannot get any information from my Local ASUS Technical Support to know, before end, whether an alternative proposed by one Vendor, the SAMSUNG M471A2K43DB1-CTD Memory Module indicated as a "successor" to the one Memory Module that was "factory installed" on my ROG Laptop will be able to work or not.

What I do not understand is, how can a customer, especially if not particularly skilled in these things, be able to tell whether these 2 SAMSUNG Memory Modules, whose codes only "differ" in 1 letter (the Factory installed one is M471A2K43CB1-CTD while the one suggested to me and indicated as a "successor" Memory Module is SAMSUNG M471A2K43DB1-CTD) are, or not compatible with one another ?

I mean, the code of the "Factory installed" SAMSUNG Memory Module has a letter " C " the other one I was suggsted, has a letter " D ".

But, I am unable to tell whether there is any "functional" difference in the specifics of these 2 SAMSUNG Memory slots.....

https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...1A2K43CB1-CTD/
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...1A2K43DB1-CTD/

To me, looking at their statistics, they look pretty much the same yet, with RAM Memory, I seem to understand that even small differences can create issues, sometimes... and that is why, for DUAL Channel best functionality, Memory Manufacturers, I understand, usually sell "Paired up" KITs which are tested already to work smoothly in DUAL Channel Mode.

I was really hoping to receive guidance on this, by the Local ASUS Technical Support......

Now, I guess, I will have to "try out" various Memory Modules on my own, until I will find 1 that works.

Personally, I think that it would have been much easier for me, as a customer, if a RAM Memory Compatibility Chart/Table was made readily available by ASUS Tek Inc., as well as a Schematics of how the 4 DIMM bank slots and Memory Channels are configured for this ROG Laptop.

I also do not understand why my Thread was deleted in the "Service-Related Inquiries" Forum.

I was looking for help to find "direct" e-mail addresses to ASUS Tek Inc. Customer and Technical Support Headquarters in TAIPEI, Taiwan, so as to be able to voice my feedback as an ASUS customer in regards to this experience which I am having with one of their products.

I imagine that, receiving customers' feedback, is usually seen as a good and welcomed thing....

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Blake@ROG View Post
    Hello popel45,
    I'm from ASUS HQ Customer service team.
    Thank you for your feedback. I have reported them for future improvement.

Please kindly understand that as a general rule, for all of our laptop products, we do not openly encourage customer to do hardware upgrade or changes
    If customer want to install new hardware, our standard reply would be suggesting customer to buy the RAM or hard disk they want and send it back to our official service center.
    Then we can help with the installation, guarantee the the result and make sure that the warranty would not expire.
    Please consider the above suggestion. Thank you.
    Dear Blake@ROG,

Thank you SO much for your kind and MUCH welcomed reply.

What you mention, that is, "suggesting customer to buy the RAM or hard disk they want and send it back to our official service center", was PRECISELY my same thinking when this necessity for a RAM Upgrade came up for me.

And THAT is precisely the spirit with which I contacted my Local ASUS OFFICIAL Technical Support.

Looking for their help to assist me with this RAM Upgrade so that nothing would have gone wrong in the process because, hey, the "Official" ASUS Technical Support was there to help me with it.

YET, instead, my "Local" ASUS Official Technical Support did NOT give their availability with this RAM Upgrade.

They not only addressed me to go to a Local PC Technical Service, giveing me a list of some which they know that deal with ASUS products and telling me to prefer a "Gold" Asus Center, possibly, but they ALSO added me that, whether I was to do this personally, or through a local PC Technical Service, even a "Gold" Asus one, I need to imagine, the opening of my ASUS ROG Laptop, a rather expensive and High End unit, would Void its Warranty...

You can easily understand how all of this may have worried me. Because, when disassembling an expensive ROG Laptop unit, removing its Cooling System (and having to re-apply its Thermal Paste on the various CPU, GPU and chips) and unscrewing the Motherboard in order to access the 2 DIMM bank slots placed on the back of it, "anything", can possibly go wrong.

Now, if it is the ASUS "Official" Technical Support doing it, then they can well handle anything that might, unfortunately happen, but not necessarily the same can be said, I guess, if it was not the "Official" ASUS Technical Support to do such disassembling for a full 64 GB Ram upgrade.

What if, something was to go wrong, and I was then forced to get into unpleasant discussions with whatever Shop I took the unit to service it for the RAM upgrade ? I do not know whether this would or not happen, but, at least in theory, I need to consider this as a possibility.... I just do not feel wanting to take the risk to get dragged in lengthy and unpleasant discussions on whether my ROG Laptop was a perfectly functioning one when I took it in for the Memory upgrade, or whether it already had issues..... it is, after all, an expensive unit.

It is easy to indicate to a Customer to bring it to a "trusted" PC shop to be serviced ... but in true reality, most customers do not deal with a PC shop on a daily basis or sufficiently enough to be able to pick one as their "trusted" PC shop to where to take an expensive unit to be serviced.

I for one, have no previous experience with PC Shops so, I could not be able to pick a Local PC Shop that I could trust, simply, because I do not have the sufficient experience and knowledge about any.

None of this would happen, instead, I need to think, if the one doing the Memory upgrade, was to be the Asus "Official" Technical Support which I feel that I can blindly trust, since I need to assume that Asus is interested in their customer base to be happy with the products which Asus makes, and with the Service that Asus provides to its customers, in regards to their products.

May I ask you, since you mention to be from ASUS HQ Customer service team, whether you might be able to talk to my Local ASUS "Official" Technical Support, and get them to assist and authorize me with this RAM Upgrade ?

That is, to have me authorized to have my ROG G703GX XS71 Laptop be Serviced by the Regional "Official" ASUS Technical Support and thus have them, and not me or a local PC Shop, to do the necessary disassembling of the Laptop to install all of the 4x 16 GB Memory Modules for me ?

If this is something possible for you to arrange, I imagine that I would need a RMA number to be generated for this Service, as well as an appointment scheduled at my address, for the pick up of the ROG Laptop and the Memory Modules to be installed, by the Courier with which the Local ASUS "Official" Technical Support works with, for ASUS Customers' RMAs.

I would just need to be given some time to be able to purchase the 4x 16 GB Modules, in 2 "paired up" matching KITs to enclose with the ROG Laptop for your Local ASUS "Official" Technical Support Service to do the RAM upgrade with.

I have no problem in purchasing the 4x 16 GB Modules, and, as mentioned, even be willing to purchase them as "paired" KITs for a better functionality of DUAL Channel Mode.

I only need to get told, what specifics do I need to look for, when shopping for such memory.

If you can get my Local ASUS "Official" Technical Support to come forward, and accept to do this Memory upgrade for me, and I was to install all 4 Memory sticks with 4x 16 GB anew (thus, no longer using the "factory installed" 16 GB Samsung stick). would I, for example, be able to purchase Crucial Memory (not SAMSUNG) which seems to be more easy to be found as compared to SAMSUNG Memory ?

Or, alternate SAMSUNG Memory but which was easier to be found for sale, as compared to the one that was "factory installed" which I seem to have difficulties to fiund.....

And what would be good performing 4x 16GB Memory Modules that I should look to buy, in order to get the best out of this particular ROG Laptop (in addition to Gaming, Streaming and Video editing) ? Can you please suggest me a Brand and Model or, even better, specific Memory Module codes to look for to buy ?

Thank you for your help, I look very much forward to reading your reply !!
    Last edited by popel45; 05-18-2021 at 09:36 PM.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Quote Originally Posted by popel45 View Post
    Does this mean that, UNLESS I go through ALL of that, which it is, disassembling the ROG Laptop as the Video shows, and have ALL 4x 16 Memory Modules installed, I could never EVER be able to run DUAL Channel Memory on this ROG Laptop ?
    No, as I posted previously you could add a single 16GB stick to the easy access side and it will work. If one is true then either of the easy access slots will do this. If the other is true then one of the easy access slots will work and you just need to test both to find out which one works in dual channel with the stick on the backside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast