cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chia plotting rig

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I'm building a system for plotting Chia, and just have a few unknowns I need to resolve first. With the Asus WRX80 board how many nvme drives may I put in RAID 0? Can I raid drives together between these cards? If I can't have one giant RAID 0 array, would having multiple RAID 0 arrays provide write speed benefits from splitting the load up between multiple disks?

cpu3975wx
cpu coolerNH-U14S
MoboAsus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE
memoryG Skill Ripjaw V 256 GB
HDDWD Red Pro 16tb
NVMESamsung 980 Pro 2tb
Video Card1080
CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro
Power SupplyCorsair Axi 1600
Raid cardAsus HYPER M.2 x16
Hotswap baySupermicro CSE-M35TQB
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Der8auer on Youtube did some Chia testing on SSD wear levels. You might want to check out his video before planning your build. Based on his findings I wouldn't recommend RAID 0. The higher likelihood of drive failure could mean you'd lose all of your plots on the array.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Oh, I'd just have RAID 0 on the plotting array. There's other storage attached that safe long term. The ideal build has like 10 nvme drives in RAID 0, and about eight 8 TB SATA III drives in raid 10 to fill the HDDs for long term storage. Maybe, even 8 TB of NVME on a separate RAID controller for transferring to the slower tier of HDDs and SATA SSD. There's some ideal solution of drive combinations for keeping eight 16 TB HDDs with constant writes going. Need like $30k to experimental with all of the optimal hardware.

fexnok
Level 7
Is it possible to have more than one Hyper M.2 card? Just thinking of having 2 and 8 nvme drives in raid 0 each

Zarathustraa
Level 7
That should be fine. On their workstation board they just mention a ten disk limit. I don't know if that is ten total, or just ten per RAID.