Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    GT-AC5300 Firmware 3.0.0.4_386_42643 DNS Issue (PiHole)

    Ok I have two Piholes setup in my house for redundancy. Both are running Pihole and Unbound (Recursive DNS). When I did a fresh install of firmware 3.0.0.4_386_42643 and did not change the DNS info my internet connection worked fine.

    When I change the wan DNS setting to point to my two piholes 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 everything breaks. The main dashboard says its not connected to the internet and sometimes pops up a message about my ISP dhcp settings being wrong.... As such I had to roll back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384_82037....

    Also why does asus not allow me to set two dns server on the lan page and tries to force me to use the router as a secondary dns.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    piHole integration broken after latest firmware update (GT-AX11000)

    I have an GT-AX11000 router and setup similar to yours. After upgrading to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_43129) I have the exact same issue.

    To explain my setup:

    I have DHCP configured to point all my clients to my piHole server, however, since the router continues to give out ITS IP address as secondary DNS, some of my clients occasionally bypass the piHole. To resolve this issue, I had set the router's WAN DNS Settings (DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2) to point to my piHole as well. (my piHole uses 1.1.1.1 for DNS resolution)

    This worked perfectly until 3.0.0.4.386_43129. After this upgrade, my router says it's disconnected from the internet. All my clients can ping IP addresses, but no DNS resolution. Setting DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 to anything other than the piHole (i.e. 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) resolves the issue, but once again, this in turn allows the occasional client to bypass my piHole.

    Quote Originally Posted by z3razerviper View Post
    Ok I have two Piholes setup in my house for redundancy. Both are running Pihole and Unbound (Recursive DNS). When I did a fresh install of firmware 3.0.0.4_386_42643 and did not change the DNS info my internet connection worked fine.

    When I change the wan DNS setting to point to my two piholes 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 everything breaks. The main dashboard says its not connected to the internet and sometimes pops up a message about my ISP dhcp settings being wrong.... As such I had to roll back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384_82037....

    Also why does asus not allow me to set two dns server on the lan page and tries to force me to use the router as a secondary dns.
    Last edited by GreenMotion; 05-24-2021 at 02:01 PM.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    81

    beta firmware

    Hi There,

    Please try this beta build to see if it solve the pihole issue.
    https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navig...AAE5E6BCFCEE1Y
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondenq View Post
    Hi There,

    Please try this beta build to see if it solve the pihole issue.
    https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navig...AAE5E6BCFCEE1Y
    Thanks.
    Hey, I installed that firmware and the route is now able to use my local pihole dns server.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Teven View Post
    Hey, I installed that firmware and the route is now able to use my local pihole dns server.
    May i know what did you configure on the router end? I change the DNS server on LAN part to my Pihole address, but i notice my iOS/MAC device doesn't work.

    After joining the network for 2-3 mins, i notice Pihole dont work anymore on them. But my PC still works fine with Pihole.
    Last edited by enjawd; 08-11-2021 at 02:16 AM.

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondenq View Post
    Hi There,

    Please try this beta build to see if it solve the pihole issue.
    https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navig...AAE5E6BCFCEE1Y
    Thanks.
    I am having the same issue with the GT-AC5300 and pihole dns servers. Where did these beta firmwares come from and does it fix the dnsmasq implemented within the routers? I assume since piholes use dnsmasq this is the issue.

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by enjawd View Post
    May i know what did you configure on the router end? I change the DNS server on LAN part to my Pihole address, but i notice my iOS/MAC device doesn't work.

    After joining the network for 2-3 mins, i notice Pihole dont work anymore on them. But my PC still works fine with Pihole.
    I have yet to update with this beta to test but if mine works, i can send you the info with what i have. As a note, everything on my network is mac address bound with like 5 free leases for new devices.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by enjawd View Post
    May i know what did you configure on the router end? I change the DNS server on LAN part to my Pihole address, but i notice my iOS/MAC device doesn't work.

    After joining the network for 2-3 mins, i notice Pihole dont work anymore on them. But my PC still works fine with Pihole.
    So updating to the beta fixes the issues with the piholes.

    I will upload some screenshots of everthing.

    I have a mesh network and everything seems good to go. The dns lookup works fine. The mesh speeds are unaffected (Paying for 300/30).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firmware.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	89644
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LAN.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	89639
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAN.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	89640
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NSLOOKUP.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	89641
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pihole.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	89642
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPEED.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	89643
    Last edited by StealUrKill_PhD; 08-18-2021 at 12:37 AM.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    15

    I never tried the beta firmware I just started setting the dns servers on the devices directly. I still run into router reboot problems. Sometimes the router works fine for weeks then I make a small changed then it freaks out until I do a complete factor reset. I really wish ASUS would get it act together.

    For a few month I just used the older firmware. Since both me and the wife are working form home I could not afford the downtime.
    Last edited by z3razerviper; 08-22-2021 at 04:50 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •