cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 Firmware 3.0.0.4_386_42643 DNS Issue (PiHole)

z3razerviper
Level 7
Ok I have two Piholes setup in my house for redundancy. Both are running Pihole and Unbound (Recursive DNS). When I did a fresh install of firmware 3.0.0.4_386_42643 and did not change the DNS info my internet connection worked fine.

When I change the wan DNS setting to point to my two piholes 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 everything breaks. The main dashboard says its not connected to the internet and sometimes pops up a message about my ISP dhcp settings being wrong.... As such I had to roll back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384_82037....

Also why does asus not allow me to set two dns server on the lan page and tries to force me to use the router as a secondary dns.
8 REPLIES 8

GreenMotion
Level 7
I have an GT-AX11000 router and setup similar to yours. After upgrading to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_43129) I have the exact same issue.

To explain my setup:

I have DHCP configured to point all my clients to my piHole server, however, since the router continues to give out ITS IP address as secondary DNS, some of my clients occasionally bypass the piHole. To resolve this issue, I had set the router's WAN DNS Settings (DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2) to point to my piHole as well. (my piHole uses 1.1.1.1 for DNS resolution)

This worked perfectly until 3.0.0.4.386_43129. After this upgrade, my router says it's disconnected from the internet. All my clients can ping IP addresses, but no DNS resolution. Setting DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 to anything other than the piHole (i.e. 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) resolves the issue, but once again, this in turn allows the occasional client to bypass my piHole.

z3razerviper wrote:
Ok I have two Piholes setup in my house for redundancy. Both are running Pihole and Unbound (Recursive DNS). When I did a fresh install of firmware 3.0.0.4_386_42643 and did not change the DNS info my internet connection worked fine.

When I change the wan DNS setting to point to my two piholes 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 everything breaks. The main dashboard says its not connected to the internet and sometimes pops up a message about my ISP dhcp settings being wrong.... As such I had to roll back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384_82037....

Also why does asus not allow me to set two dns server on the lan page and tries to force me to use the router as a secondary dns.

Hi There,

Please try this beta build to see if it solve the pihole issue.
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/7FFB6BF65A4646E09D8AAE5E6BCFCEE1Y
Thanks.

wilsondenq wrote:
Hi There,

Thanks.

Hey, I installed that firmware and the route is now able to use my local pihole dns server.

Teven wrote:
Hey, I installed that firmware and the route is now able to use my local pihole dns server.

May i know what did you configure on the router end? I change the DNS server on LAN part to my Pihole address, but i notice my iOS/MAC device doesn't work.

After joining the network for 2-3 mins, i notice Pihole dont work anymore on them. But my PC still works fine with Pihole.

enjawd wrote:
May i know what did you configure on the router end? I change the DNS server on LAN part to my Pihole address, but i notice my iOS/MAC device doesn't work.

After joining the network for 2-3 mins, i notice Pihole dont work anymore on them. But my PC still works fine with Pihole.

I have yet to update with this beta to test but if mine works, i can send you the info with what i have. As a note, everything on my network is mac address bound with like 5 free leases for new devices.

enjawd wrote:

So updating to the beta fixes the issues with the piholes.

I will upload some screenshots of everthing.

I have a mesh network and everything seems good to go. The dns lookup works fine. The mesh speeds are unaffected (Paying for 300/30).

wilsondenq wrote:
Hi There,

Thanks.

I am having the same issue with the GT-AC5300 and pihole dns servers. Where did these beta firmwares come from and does it fix the dnsmasq implemented within the routers? I assume since piholes use dnsmasq this is the issue.

z3razerviper
Level 7
I never tried the beta firmware I just started setting the dns servers on the devices directly. I still run into router reboot problems. Sometimes the router works fine for weeks then I make a small changed then it freaks out until I do a complete factor reset. I really wish ASUS would get it act together.

For a few month I just used the older firmware. Since both me and the wife are working form home I could not afford the downtime.