cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL551JM having trouble using external monitor at 144hz using displayport

BioTiNe
Level 7
Hi everyone, I have a ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74 laptop and I'm trying to use it with an external GameFactor MG700 (1440p 144z) monitor, I have connected the laptop to the monitor using a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort VESA certified cable but I'm having the following issues:
Regardless of the selected resolution I can't pick 144hz
When using 1440p at 120hz the monitor flickers and blacks out from time to time.

Things I've tried:
Doing a clean installation of Windows
Doing a clean installation of the Intel HD 4600 graphics driver, I've tried the latest driver provided by Intel and the latest driver provided by ASUS, the latest driver provided by ASUS for this model is pretty old, is there a way to find a newer driver?
I tested the laptop with a different monitor (AOC 24G2 1080p 144hz) using the same cable and I could select 144hz without issues, so it seems like a software issue not a hardware one
Using a different minidp to dp cable, but nothing changed
I also tested the GameFactor MG700 using a different laptop and I could select 144hz at 1080p.
Enable the external monitor and disable the laptop display but nothing changed.
I tried updating the MG700 monitor firmware but the manufacturer does not provide any drivers/firmware for that particular model.

The cable I'm using is the following: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H48BL1J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have any ideas? It would be great if ASUS could provide newer drivers I could try.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
To have a valid comparison you would need to try 1080p 144hz with both monitors. A higher resolution requires more bandwidth which might not be reachable with your hardware. Given that it's older hardware the mini DP port might not be able to support that much.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
To have a valid comparison you would need to try 1080p 144hz with both monitors. A higher resolution requires more bandwidth which might not be reachable with your hardware. Given that it's older hardware the mini DP port might not be able to support that much.

Indeed I did try 1080p 144hz with both monitors, but the MG700 is capped at 120hz even at 1080p, that's why I think this is likely a software issue

xeromist
OK, I think I understand now. You're saying 144hz isn't even provided as an option? I thought you meant you selected it and it just failed to produce a picture.

Anyway, based on your experience of flickering at 1440p 120hz it sounds like they are already on the edge of failure. Trying to push them to 144hz probably won't work. But it should be possible to try by creating a custom resolution. https://windowsreport.com/create-custom-resolutions-windows-10/
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
OK, I think I understand now. You're saying 144hz isn't even provided as an option? I thought you meant you selected it and it just failed to produce a picture.

Anyway, based on your experience of flickering at 1440p 120hz it sounds like they are already on the edge of failure. Trying to push them to 144hz probably won't work. But it should be possible to try by creating a custom resolution. https://windowsreport.com/create-custom-resolutions-windows-10/

Yeah 144hz isn't provided as an option on the GameFactor MG700, but it does work on the AOC 24G2 without problems, I'm gonna try using the custom resolution utility to see if I can get the MG700 to run 144hz at 1080p.

BioTiNe
Level 7
Ok so good news! Using the CRU tool I could finally get the MG700 monitor to run 1080p 144hz and I could also run it at 1440p 100hz without flickering! It seems pretty weird that 1440p 120hz makes the monitor flicker, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort displayport HBR supports up to 1440p 85hz, is my laptop minidisplayport that old? It seems like it should be HBR2.
It would be great if ASUS provided a newer driver so that I don't have to use the CRU tool