cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS EXTREME XIII PCIe ?

Megascrypt
Level 7
Guys,

Is there something I'm not seen here with my Maximus Extreme XIII and 10900k?

I know that 10900k has 16 lanes that are shared but this one I'm not comprehending .. I have Strix 3090 in top PCIe@16 , then I run my OS of Asus DIMM2 with 1 Samsung 970 Pro no other M.2's are occupied.

I also run external Asus wireless AX card in PCIe x1 and its working fine, but If put that Wi-Fi card in to the PCIe below which is x16 it doesn't work, it shows in device manager with red mark but it simply dosn't work, no internet available.

I have tried switching sharing option in Bios but no go. Why works in PCIe@4 but not PCIe@16 .
I have never had to deal with loss of lines, always had CPUs with 40 lines so I'm a bit lost here.

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11

Megascrypt
Level 7
So many views and no one knows, that is disappointing.

Why my post has been moved!!! what happen to my inquiry, really... no one has an answer. When I heard this is not very active forum I can see it..sad.
Sorry for bothering:(

DjRavix
Level 10
Megascrypt wrote:
Guys,

Is there something I'm not seen here with my Maximus Extreme XIII and 10900k?

I know that 10900k has 16 lanes that are shared but this one I'm not comprehending .. I have Strix 3090 in top PCIe@16 , then I run my OS of Asus DIMM2 with 1 Samsung 970 Pro no other M.2's are occupied.

I also run external Asus wireless AX card in PCIe x1 and its working fine, but If put that Wi-Fi card in to the PCIe below which is x16 it doesn't work, it shows in device manager with red mark but it simply dosn't work, no internet available.

I have tried switching sharing option in Bios but no go. Why works in PCIe@4 but not PCIe@16 .
I have never had to deal with loss of lines, always had CPUs with 40 lines so I'm a bit lost here.

Thank you

Have you tried Reinstalling the drivers for the card ???
ithe x4 Slot is connected to the chip-set while the x16 goes to the CPU
also in the bios set the lanes x8 + x8 or x8 + x4 + x4
in the last case there are two options one for using both onboard m.2 slots and one to enable only one and allow the x16 slot to run at x4

However I still think this is a driver issue as the card is connected over different lanes
I had similar issues in the past with some USB devices (it's rare but it does seem to happen)
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

Thank you very much for your response.

Yes I have tried reinstalling drivers # of times with no change, but I will tried again, maybe by miracle something will work. Also I did poke in the Bios to see If I could make some changes to make it work , but tbh. I have always used Asus WS boards and although Bios across Asus boards seem the same , this ROG has slightly more complicated layout so I might have to look into it some more.

I also left all M.2 slots unoccupied to avoid any issues with lines limitations due to 10900k, I run my OS of DIMM2 which seem to run nicely and its easy accessible, yet I'm dealing with this.

I am lost here. I have tried reinstalling drivers again with no change. Going to Bios I can see my GPU is running at @8 in first PCIeX16 and the wi-fi card shows to be in X1 mode in the lowest second PCIe X16, but nothing works. Why card works in PCIeX4 but not PCIeX16. I don't see anything in Bios I can change to make it work.

Megascrypt wrote:
I am lost here. I have tried reinstalling drivers again with no change. Going to Bios I can see my GPU is running at @8 in first PCIeX16 and the wi-fi card shows to be in X1 mode in the lowest second PCIe X16, but nothing works. Why card works in PCIeX4 but not PCIeX16. I don't see anything in Bios I can change to make it work.

if it does automatically detect that there is a card in the second x16 slot the first slot will run at x8
this is pretty normal behavior since it shares the 16 GPU allocated lanes
The only thing I could think of now is that your wifi card might have problems with PCIe Gen 4 slots
However you can test this by forcing the CPU lanes to Gen 3
If you have a PCIe Gen 4 GPU this might reduce the performance of the GPU

it is also weird because the Card works in the x4 slot
but that slot is connected to the chipset and the chipset only uses PCIe Gen 3 ... I might think it might be some issue like that
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280

Upon some testings and moving things around I think partly I got some clarification. You were right about drivers and it seems to be related to AX58BT card itself while is connected to PCIEX16_2, seems that for some reason there might be some compatibility issue.

I took one of my spare Asus AC68U wireless card X1 and installed in that PCIEX16_2, installed the drivers and boom, works great, on the other hand that doesn't work with AX card.

At least I'm glad its not the PCIe itself as I was slowly wondering about that, for now I can run that card of PCIEX4 . I have already sent them feedback form with all the details, so hopefully something good will come out of this.

Thank you for your help I appreciate that.

DjRavix
Level 10
just posted this for somebody else

You can actually set the GEN per PCIe Slot
So you might want to try setting "PCIEX16_2" to Gen 3 to see if this solves the problem
if it does than we know that the card does not play well with Gen 4 slots (Might be useful for Asus to know so they can maybe fix this with a firmware update)
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280

DjRavix wrote:
just posted this for somebody else

You can actually set the GEN per PCIe Slot
So you might want to try setting "PCIEX16_2" to Gen 3 to see if this solves the problem
if it does than we know that the card does not play well with Gen 4 slots (Might be useful for Asus to know so they can maybe fix this with a firmware update)

Thanks for you effort in trying to help me.

Yes I have tried to change to GEN 3 a while ago, but that didn't make any difference I was still unable to resolve the issue. I have sent Asus very detailed info in regards to this issue and the troubleshooting process I took to tried to resolve it and how I can replicated it. Also I did let them know that their AC68U Wi-Fi card works fine with any of the slots, so that should help them in the right direction to try and rectify this.

I've been told that they working on either drivers for PCE-AX58BT adapter or on Bios, so we will see how that goes.

Thanks again, much appreciated.