cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus XIII Apex.. a WASTE of money with 10th Gen?

Xenac
Level 7
Hello there.
I just got my Maximus XIII Apex and i am really disappointed.. The first M.2 Slot does not work with 10th Gen CPUs, the second one uses Lanes from the CPU which means my GPU runs at 8x.. Same goes for the Dimm.2.. When i use that thing (and the settings DO NOT MATTER in the Bios) the GPU also runs at 8x.

WTF is wrong with Asus these days? Can i throw that Board into the trash now if i don't wanna DOWNGRADE from 10th Gen to 11th Gen ?
5 REPLIES 5

DjRavix
Level 10
Xenac wrote:
Hello there.
I just got my Maximus XIII Apex and i am really disappointed.. The first M.2 Slot does not work with 10th Gen CPUs, the second one uses Lanes from the CPU which means my GPU runs at 8x.. Same goes for the Dimm.2.. When i use that thing (and the settings DO NOT MATTER in the Bios) the GPU also runs at 8x.

WTF is wrong with Asus these days? Can i throw that Board into the trash now if i don't wanna DOWNGRADE from 10th Gen to 11th Gen ?

RTFM

[/HR]
Regarding the CPU Lanes:

Intel® 10th Core Processors:
- M.2_2 supports PCIE 3.0 x4 mode M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 PCIe storage devices
- M.2_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIEX 16_1 and PCIEX 16_2. When M.2_2 runs x4 mode, PCIEX 16_1 will run x8 mode and PCIEX 16_2 will run x4 mode

Regarding the DIMM.2 card:

- DIMM.2_1 supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode Key M design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 /22110 PCIe storage devices
- DIMM.2_2 supports PCIe 3.0 x4 mode Key M design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 /22110 PCIe storage devices
- When DIMM.2_1 is operating in SATA mode, SATA6G_2 will be disabled

[/HR]

There is no mention of the DIMM.2 card does something to the 1st PCIe x16 slot
You might want to look into the bios since the PCIe bifurcation might be turned on (since you seem to have tried using it with the M.2 on the board)
otherwise do a Cmos reset with your M.2 in the Dimm.2 card to see if this fixes the issue

In your case the ROG MAXIMUS XII APEX would have been a better choice (Since that is made for 10th Gen)
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

DjRavix wrote:
RTFM

[/HR]
Regarding the CPU Lanes:

Intel® 10th Core™ Processors:
- M.2_2 supports PCIE 3.0 x4 mode M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 PCIe storage devices
- M.2_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIEX 16_1 and PCIEX 16_2. When M.2_2 runs x4 mode, PCIEX 16_1 will run x8 mode and PCIEX 16_2 will run x4 mode

Regarding the DIMM.2 card:

- DIMM.2_1 supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode Key M design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 /22110 PCIe storage devices
- DIMM.2_2 supports PCIe 3.0 x4 mode Key M design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 /22110 PCIe storage devices
- When DIMM.2_1 is operating in SATA mode, SATA6G_2 will be disabled

[/HR]

There is no mention of the DIMM.2 card does something to the 1st PCIe x16 slot
You might want to look into the bios since the PCIe bifurcation might be turned on (since you seem to have tried using it with the M.2 on the board)
otherwise do a Cmos reset with your M.2 in the Dimm.2 card to see if this fixes the issue

In your case the ROG MAXIMUS XII APEX would have been a better choice (Since that is made for 10th Gen)

Guess what, i have tried everything already. First i started with the DIMM.2 only, 2 NVMe's connected there. GPU ran at 8x NO MATTER WHAT SETTINGS I HAVE USED. Obviously i did a cmos reset, bios update etc. etc.
No, the XII Apex would NOT be the better choice because it's more expensive and older than the XIII.
But thank your for pointing out the same **** i have written in the first post. That's how you got your counter up eh ?

Xenac wrote:
Guess what, i have tried everything already. First i started with the DIMM.2 only, 2 NVMe's connected there. GPU ran at 8x NO MATTER WHAT SETTINGS I HAVE USED. Obviously i did a cmos reset, bios update etc. etc.
No, the XII Apex would NOT be the better choice because it's more expensive and older than the XIII.
But thank your for pointing out the same **** i have written in the first post. That's how you got your counter up eh ?

unfortunately you did not say that you tried the Dimm.2 first
you actually started about the slots on the board
You did not say that you tried A Cmos reset or updated the bios (Only that you tried settings in the bios without specifying

Look I just wanted to point out that the XII Apex is made for 10th gen and the XIII Apex for 11th Gen
You point out that you don't want 11th Gen but you buy a board that is geared specifically to that

But I do have to agree that the slot running at x8 while using storage on the Dimm.2 Card is weird

I would recommend Contacting Asus Support about this
I am not sure if there are a lot of other Users here that use the XIII Apex with A 10th gen CPU

There are maybe some that have the XIII Apex that are willing to test wit a 10th gen CPU to see if they have the same problem
(Might also be a Defect in the board)
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

Xenac wrote:

I can confirm that If you running anything in DIMM2 your GPU will run @8 Its the same in my Maximus Extreme XIII with no other M.2 on board

Megascrypt
Level 7
Xenac wrote:
Hello there.

We have pretty much the same boards and yes I can confirm that while GEN 10 CPU disables M.2_1, using DIMM2 which that's what I use for my OS does not make your PCIEX16_1 run @8, mine runs @16 with 2x Samsung 980 Pro in DIMM2