cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 slots or DIMM.2 slot for C drive?

Spacemanspiff01
Level 7
Hey peeps,

I have the Asus 'Zenith Extreme Alpha' motherboard with a 2950X TR, Windows 10 EDU is installed on a Samsung 970 m.2 on a DIMM.2 which is a duel m.2 ssd support that stands out like a stick of ram on the motherboard. however is this a bottleneck for the performance?

this system has felt less snappy than my once sandy bridge 2700k with a regular crucial ssd and i just cant find out why.

I think its the ssd in the DIMM.2 slot but im not as deep technically with slots on a motherboard.

any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Spacemanspiff01 wrote:
Hey peeps,

I have the Asus 'Zenith Extreme Alpha' motherboard with a 2950X TR, Windows 10 EDU is installed on a Samsung 970 m.2 on a DIMM.2 which is a duel m.2 ssd support that stands out like a stick of ram on the motherboard. however is this a bottleneck for the performance?

this system has felt less snappy than my once sandy bridge 2700k with a regular crucial ssd and i just cant find out why.

I think its the ssd in the DIMM.2 slot but im not as deep technically with slots on a motherboard.

any thoughts?

Use the DIMM.2 slot for two NVMe SSDs (preferably in RAId 0 mode and use the onboard M.2 slot for a single NVMe SSD. When using the DIMM.2, install the AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility and for the onboard M.2, install the Samsung NVMe driver.

Jesseinsf wrote:
Use the DIMM.2 slot for two NVMe SSDs (preferably in RAId 0 mode and use the onboard M.2 slot for a single NVMe SSD. When using the DIMM.2, install the AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility and for the onboard M.2, install the Samsung NVMe driver.

I just have the 1x M.2 SSD on the DIMM.2 stick (left side), should it be in the onboard slot?

Grey_Worm
Level 7
Spacemanspiff01 wrote:
Hey peeps,

any thoughts?

What makes you think the lack of snappiness is down to the DIMM.2 slot? Have you tried running any performance tests on the disk, or looking at the I/O latency?

I run Win 10 Pro OS of DIMM2 with Samsung 970 Pro and its no different in speed if you run it of any of the onboard M.2's and BTW. I have Maximus Extreme XIII.

What I really like about the DIMM2 is that its so easy to access and I also run Noctua NH-D15S dual fans, so one of the fans keeping my 970 Pro really cool (27C on idle and 33C-34C on full load)

Also running OS of DIMM2 not taking any lines of PCIEX16 so my Strix 3090 OC still runs @16 and even if it did run @8, there is literally no difference, Its more of a psychological mind set.