ROG Member Array

Question M.2 slots or DIMM.2 slot for C drive?

Hey peeps,

I have the Asus 'Zenith Extreme Alpha' motherboard with a 2950X TR, Windows 10 EDU is installed on a Samsung 970 m.2 on a DIMM.2 which is a duel m.2 ssd support that stands out like a stick of ram on the motherboard. however is this a bottleneck for the performance?

this system has felt less snappy than my once sandy bridge 2700k with a regular crucial ssd and i just cant find out why.

I think its the ssd in the DIMM.2 slot but im not as deep technically with slots on a motherboard.

any thoughts?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)N/A
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16 - 128GB (4x32)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardOnboard TOSLINK to powered speakers
    MonitorMSI Creator PS321URV (32 in 4k HDR600)
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerLian Li Galahad 360 (3x Uni fan SL120)
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL Black (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad LOFTMAT (16x13 inch) Cushioned Gaming Mat - "The Gaming Slim"
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo Transparent One Encore with Rel HT/1003 Subwoofer
    OS Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 64-bit
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Using Spectrum 400MB service)
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 2x Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM
    Accessory #3 7 Uni Fan SL120 fans for PC case

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemanspiff01 View Post
    Hey peeps,

I have the Asus 'Zenith Extreme Alpha' motherboard with a 2950X TR, Windows 10 EDU is installed on a Samsung 970 m.2 on a DIMM.2 which is a duel m.2 ssd support that stands out like a stick of ram on the motherboard. however is this a bottleneck for the performance?

this system has felt less snappy than my once sandy bridge 2700k with a regular crucial ssd and i just cant find out why.

I think its the ssd in the DIMM.2 slot but im not as deep technically with slots on a motherboard.

any thoughts?
    Use the DIMM.2 slot for two NVMe SSDs (preferably in RAId 0 mode and use the onboard M.2 slot for a single NVMe SSD. When using the DIMM.2, install the AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility and for the onboard M.2, install the Samsung NVMe driver.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseinsf View Post
    Use the DIMM.2 slot for two NVMe SSDs (preferably in RAId 0 mode and use the onboard M.2 slot for a single NVMe SSD. When using the DIMM.2, install the AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility and for the onboard M.2, install the Samsung NVMe driver.
    I just have the 1x M.2 SSD on the DIMM.2 stick (left side), should it be in the onboard slot?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemanspiff01 View Post
    Hey peeps,

any thoughts?
    What makes you think the lack of snappiness is down to the DIMM.2 slot? Have you tried running any performance tests on the disk, or looking at the I/O latency?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I run Win 10 Pro OS of DIMM2 with Samsung 970 Pro and its no different in speed if you run it of any of the onboard M.2's and BTW. I have Maximus Extreme XIII.

What I really like about the DIMM2 is that its so easy to access and I also run Noctua NH-D15S dual fans, so one of the fans keeping my 970 Pro really cool (27C on idle and 33C-34C on full load)

Also running OS of DIMM2 not taking any lines of PCIEX16 so my Strix 3090 OC still runs @16 and even if it did run @8, there is literally no difference, Its more of a psychological mind set.