cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590 Apex motherboard goes on and off

Brutus7284
Level 7
Tomorrow,
when I switch on my computer, the mainboard goes ON and the fans spin, mainboard goes OFF, and after two seconds the computer boots up. Computer is never without power. Hardware: Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Bios 0901, 11900k, Asus RTX 3090 OC, SSD M2 500 Samsung and G.SKILL 3200, Asus Thor 850W
I only started the mainboard with CPU and memory, the same problem, I also changed memories, the same problem. Mainboard battery changed and CMOS performed, did not need anything

https://youtu.be/b2RDb0cq_JY

MfG Brutus7284
26 REPLIES 26

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

This is normal behaviour depending on the board and UEFI settings. Some onboard controllers require a power cycle. Memory training may also require the power to cycle before POST.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I wrote that the computer is not de-energized, LEDs are on on the mainboard and the power button lights up, so the computer is not de-energized

Brutus7284 wrote:
I wrote that the computer is not de-energized, LEDs are on on the mainboard and the power button lights up, so the computer is not de-energized

Yes, I'm aware you're not cycling the AC. This is still normal behaviour depending on the conditions above

I have had an Asus motherboard for the last three years and never did such a fault occur, how can that be normal behavior

kvarq
Level 11
Yeah, at least yours is staying a longer time and checking something, and indeed this time is about the power cycle, had this previous generations also from time to time, so it's... "normal".

Mine instead when I turn on the computer from time to time it just jumps into 1 second loop, like an endless restart, and does stays forever in that loop, it's just powering up for a bit then turn off, then restart again. If I'm turning off the computer from the power button the loop continues.
I've been reseating again the cpu, video card, M2 dimm, DDR4 etc nothing.
The ONLY workaround is to remove the battery or to power off the power supply and keep the power button for 1 minute. And saw this happening to other users as well.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123891-ASUS-APEX-XIII-CPU-and-RAM-ERRRROR/page2#post833971

So sorry I thrown money down to the toilet with this board, well, such is life.

kvarq wrote:
Yeah, at least yours is staying a longer time and checking something, and indeed this time is about the power cycle, had this previous generations also from time to time, so it's... "normal".

Mine instead when I turn on the computer from time to time it just jumps into 1 second loop, like an endless restart, and does stays forever in that loop, it's just powering up for a bit then turn off, then restart again. If I'm turning off the computer from the power button the loop continues.
I've been reseating again the cpu, video card, M2 dimm, DDR4 etc nothing.
The ONLY workaround is to remove the battery or to power off the power supply and keep the power button for 1 minute. And saw this happening to other users as well.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123891-ASUS-APEX-XIII-CPU-and-RAM-ERRRROR/page2#post833971

So sorry I thrown money down to the toilet with this board, well, such is life.

Continuous cycles sounds like training failure, the memory isn't stable.

kvarq
Level 11
memory has been stable on Apex XI and XII, plus, I'm using the same processor 10900K, which paired with XII worked great
I've been running linpack and GSAT on XIII as well, no errors shown
plus, the loop is almost under one second, so no code is shown on the QLED...

yeah, in the meantime I also used a 1000W Seasonic Titanium, same stuff...

maybe BIOS still needs some work?
I already tried 0901, I'll try also 0902...

kvarq wrote:
memory has been stable on Apex XI and XII, plus, I'm using the same processor 10900K, which paired with XII worked great
I've been running linpack and GSAT on XIII as well, no errors shown
plus, the loop is almost under one second, so no code is shown on the QLED...

yeah, in the meantime I also used a 1000W Seasonic Titanium, same stuff...

maybe BIOS still needs some work?
I already tried 0901, I'll try also 0902...

As above, then. Power cycles are normal depending on the board and controllers present.

If there are multiple cycles then it does sound like memory training.

Return the system to optimised defaults including no XMP or overclocking and see if the problem continues. POST stress test stability and OS stability when overclocking are not one and the same thing.

kvarq
Level 11
those cycles are not ending, unless I turn off completely the power supply and keep the power button 30 sec
as I said these are under a second, computer just does not have time to even show something on that QLED

then: what 7F error could be? this occurs from time to time when powering on the computer, I checked the video card, reseated even several times, it still pops up from time to time...
trying lots of bios versions so far, every time after flashing a new bios, this error occurs...
even if I power off the computer, after restart still is stuck on 7F
I have to do the same, shut down the power supply, keep the power button for 30 secs, after restart it is ok

same components were working fine on Apex XII

thank you very much