Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

BearCat
Level 10
Time to upgrade my machine. Currently running
Asus Rampage IV Formula (x79)
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2 all cores.
So it's been a long time since I upgraded. I mostly use my machine for FPS games. I'm thinking about going with
Intel i9-11900kf
Asus Rog Strix Z590-E
Now I have to pick some RAM. I'd like to stick to Corsair or GSkill. I'm looking at 2 sticks of 16 gb each.
I've read thru some of the threads in this forum and there's alot of things that have changed since my last upgrade.
These are on the QVL list
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2D3200C16
Any opinions?
I'd like to get these but their not on the QVL list. What are the chances of them working properly without too much messing around?
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2D3600C18
Any other suggestion for 3200 or 3600 RAM welcome.
I'm not planning on overclocking my machine for a year or two. I'd like something really stable right now.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi BearCat

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to upgrade to z590 right now when Alderlake is set to launch in the second half of 2021. It would be worth waiting a few more months as Alderlake will be done on the 10nm fab process.

Intel has confirmed this and could be as early as September.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi BearCat

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to upgrade to x590 right now when Alderlake is set to launch in the second half of 2021. It would be worth waiting a few more months as Alderlake will be done on the 10nm fab process.

Intel has confirmed this and could be as early as September.

I thought I heard Alderlake was postponed till sometime in 2023 because of some big problem. I'll have to read up on it.

xeromist
Bearcat,
As you may already be aware, absence from the QVL doesn't mean it was tested and failed. It could be that 3600 kit simply wasn't being sold or wasn't available in the testing lab. Given the similarity in the kits I'd give it a pretty good chance of working. Still, always buy memory from a vendor that allows returns. Good luck with the upgrade!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Bearcat,
As you may already be aware, absence from the QVL doesn't mean it was tested and failed. It could be that 3600 kit simply wasn't being sold or wasn't available in the testing lab. Given the similarity in the kits I'd give it a pretty good chance of working. Still, always buy memory from a vendor that allows returns. Good luck with the upgrade!

The price of the two are so close I think I might go with the faster. I'll have to check and see if Amazon.ca carries it and what their return policy is.

bscool
Level 11
I have both z490 and z590. I would suggest going 10850k or 10900k over 11900k. To me the draw of 11900k is more to play with for OC on mem. In real-world performance 10 series will do about everything the 11thgen do for less $$$. The only real plus of 11th gen I can think of is someone needing pcie4 speeds for NVME.

As for waiting for the next platform. If you want to be a beta tester for the first few months. Z590 is still beta in some respects. z490 is way more polished and mature.

bscool wrote:
I have both z490 and z590. I would suggest going 10850k or 10900k over 11900k. To me the draw of 11900k is more to play with for OC on mem. In real-world performance 10 series will do about everything the 11thgen do for less $$$. The only real plus of 11th gen I can think of is someone needing pcie4 speeds for NVME.

As for waiting for the next platform. If you want to be a beta tester for the first few months. Z590 is still beta in some respects. z490 is way more polished and mature.

Yea, I'm kind of torn between the 10900Kf and the 11900Kf. The 10900kf is $200 cheaper in Canada, but there seems to be a shortage of them right now. But the higher clock speed of the 11900k might be more important than the extra 2 cores of the 10900k for gaming. I dunno. Hard to decide.
Like I said I've been out of the loop for a while. I picked the Z590 simply because it's newer and may have some tech that's better in the future.

BearCat wrote:
Yea, I'm kind of torn between the 10900Kf and the 11900Kf. The 10900kf is $200 cheaper in Canada, but there seems to be a shortage of them right now. But the higher clock speed of the 11900k might be more important than the extra 2 cores of the 10900k for gaming. I dunno. Hard to decide.
Like I said I've been out of the loop for a while. I picked the Z590 simply because it's newer and may have some tech that's better in the future.

That higher clock is only on 2 core. Not like it is 53 on 8 cores. But yeah either is close in performance for gaming. I was just giving you feedback. If I had to give one up it would be z590. Plus much higher latency on memory with z590.

bscool wrote:
That higher clock is only on 2 core. Not like it is 53 on 8 cores. But yeah either is close in performance for gaming. I was just giving you feedback. If I had to give one up it would be z590. Plus much higher latency on memory with z590.

I'm not really locked into anything yet. But I can't wait too long. I've lost a SATA port and a USB 3.0 header on my mainboard in the last two months. I'm going to research Alderlake and if it's going to be around September I'll probably wait. If not I have to decide which route to take.
Thanks