cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What thickness of thermal pads for 3090 TUF OC Gaming

darkhollow48
Level 7
Hello everyone, I want to change the thermal pads for the Asus TUF 3090 OC Gaming, but can't find any information regarding pad thickness. I emailed Asus support asking for it, but they didn't send me the information, instead they sent me a warranty void message.
If anyone has any information regarding this, let me know please, thanks in advance.

Found a topic that mention pad thickness, but for the 3080, i'm looking for something similar but for the 3090.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ll44s5/asus_tuf_3080_thermal_pads_thickness/?utm_medium=and...
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I know this isn't a scientific approach, but if you can't find the information and you don't have calipers to measure then you could buy a multi-pack of pads at different thicknesses and then hold the old pad up to the new ones to find the correct thickness.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I know this isn't a scientific approach, but if you can't find the information and you don't have calipers to measure then you could buy a multi-pack of pads at different thicknesses and then hold the old pad up to the new ones to find the correct thickness.

Yeah that's a good idea, for this I just got a caliper to measure each stock pack thickness. What I'm concerned about is that most people claim that the stock pads get destroyed when opening the card from most vendors, even the Strix one, ending in not being able to measure the pad thickness.

Also, some threads mention that lower heat tolerance makes the thermal pad squishy and that is the case for the stock pads. So, if the stock pad thickness is 2mm with let's say 5W/mk conductivity, when using a 2mm with 13W/mk conductivity could lend to not have the right contact due to being more dense.

So much to take in consideration before doing this, maybe next weekend I'll do this mod. That's why I wanted like a diagram with this card stock pads thickness.

xeromist
FWIW, if you don't have specific damage warranting replacement they can be reused. Even with a tear they could be used if you can get them lined up. The main issues I would look out for is if they have gotten dirty or have significant loss of material integrity.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…