I just built my new PC and bellow is my configuration.**

Motherboard: ROG Maximus XIII Extreme
Processor: Intel core i9 11900K
Memory: G Skill 64GB (4 x 16GB) Trident Z Royal, DDR4 3600MHz, CL14 2 x *
NVME m.2 : Samsung 1TB 980 PRO
SSD: Samsung 860 PRO 2.5 “ - 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D
AIO : Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX*

After installing everything to my motherboard, when I started my PC, my motherboard got stuck at code 99 with display showing “ HDD Detect HDD”. When I checked the BIOS, I didn’t see any m.2 devices listed. Although it detected the SSD. The last PC that I built was 15 years ago. So a lot of things have changed and I might be missing something. My understanding is, if the NVMEs are installed correctly, it should show in the BIOS. I tried to install the Windows through bootable USB drive but Windows didn’t detect any drive to install including the Samsung 860 pro.*

Here is what I did to solve this

1. Removed the m.2.
2. Updated the BIOS
3. Clear the CMOS.
4. Removed all the peripherals and connections from motherboard and left only the SSD.*
5. Check all the PSU connections.

I have two SATA power cable connected with PSU to connect RGB controllers and hub. SSD is also connected with the same cable. I have also tried to leave only the SSD connected with the SATA power cable.*

At the moment I am run out of options. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Is there any thing I need to do to make the NVME drives available in the BIOS?*
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hello tahahassan

Code 99

Can sometimes be a display issue with different types of cables or a gpu issue, seeing how you have display, we can rule that out.

Can be a peripheral issue such as a mouse or keyboard incompatibility, you may want to check Legacy is enabled in the bios. Make sure you have a mouse and keyboard connected.

As for the M.2 drive not being detected, this could be a configuration issue.

Head into the bios and hit F5 to reset to defaults, then check in the Advanced tab, Onboard Devices configuration and see that M.2 is configured properly. All drives should show on the Boot tab in Boot option 1. Also, on the Boot tab make sure CSM is enabled.

Once configured, hit F10 and Enter to Save and Exit.

Are there any changes?

Thank you for your reply. Legacy mode for USB device is enabled. I reset the BIOS setting but that did not solve the issue. In the onboard devices configuration, there are no NVME drives listed. Even in NVME specific configuration, it says no NVME devices.

I forgot to mention that my PSU is Asus ROG Strix 1000W. So, it should be enough for the system.*

Nate152
All right,

Power down and disconnect the sata ssd, then boot up and see if the M.2 drive is recognized, you'll want the sata drive disconnected when installing windows.

If the M.2 drive still isn't recognized in the bios, power down and try the M.2 drive in one of the other M.2 slots.

Yes, that's a nice psu with plenty of power, ROG for the win !

DjRavix
Level 10
Silly Question but .. What slot is your NVMe drive installed in ???
If it is installed in M.2_1 or M.2_2 you might want to change some settings in your bios

1st one is important for using M.2_1 & M.2_2 (in Onboard Devices)

also useful you can see the lane distribution I have (Nice way to see if devices are detected)
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

That was it :). When I changed the settings to what you mentioned, it detected the NVME. I am installing the Windows now. Thank you guys. I really appreciate your help.

DjRavix wrote:
Silly Question but .. What slot is your NVMe drive installed in ???
If it is installed in M.2_1 or M.2_2 you might want to change some settings in your bios

1st one is important for using M.2_1 & M.2_2 (in Onboard Devices)

also useful you can see the lane distribution I have (Nice way to see if devices are detected)

Thank you Sir! I had the identical issue with my new Apex XIII, M2.2 not registering in BIOS 506. But no Q code - the drive failed to show up in BIOS at all.
The SA submenu did NOT provide your suggested option to configure the PCI lanes. When I installed the latest BIOS these options became available. My mistake in not uploading the latest and greatest from Asus. I had already ordered a replacement motherboard from Amazon at the recommendations of their 'tech support' but was able to cancel. Again, a Thank You for posting this fix!

BigJohnny
Level 13
This is something not uncommon with ASUS MOBOs. Good and bad at the same time. If you have been using the products for awhile its like a second nature. Thing is they tend to have more BIOS options that you have to go though and make sure they are correctly set and just more options in general. In this case it give you the option of where you want your PCIE lanes to go.
Sucks that you can only get X8 out of your GPU slot. Depends on what GPU you are running as to whether or not it makes a difference. The 2080Ti was the first one to actually saturate X8 and not by much. Like 6% gain by having it at X16 Vs X8. Before that it didn't matter.

I just noticed that my graphic card is running at x8. Upon reading the motherboard's manual again, it seems that if two m.2 drives are installed, the graphic card runs at x8. And judging by the BIOS setting, there is no way to run only one m.2 drive without degrading the graphic card's performance. My question is

1. Since the Intel core i9 11900K has direct 20 PCIE lanes, if I install at least one m.2 drive, will the motherboard run the graphic card at x16? The manual is not clear about it.

2. One of the reasons I bought the expensive motherboard is the ability to run multiple m.2 drives without losing the graphic card performance. The motherboard's specification claims that it supports 5 m.2 drives but I don't see it can even run one without any compromises. Is there any other way to use at least one m.2 drive, where I installed the operating system, without going down to x8?

I can probably use the provided DIMM card to use the other NVME but I would like to know that I am not mistaken

Edit: Sorry about the upside down images. I tried to upload it both way and images is still attached upside down. Here is the motherboard's manual if someone is interested.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/ROG_MAXIMUS_XIII_EXTREME/E17684_ROG_MAXIMUS_XIII_EXTRE...