cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX B560-I with i7-11700K: freezes on peak loads, shuts down and then switches on

AndrewGr
Level 7
This is a freshly built PC with Windows freshly installed. All HW parts are brand new.

The issue is following: on peak loads system freezes for ~5-7sec, switches-off and then switches on again. No Windows blue screens shown (not an OS related issue). To me it seems like MB related issue, as system shuts-down and switches on again exactly like controlled by BIOS (the power-off -> switch-on cycle same like when you change memory params via BIOS and save them: system shuts down and switches on in a few secs by itself).

Issue appears in the following way:

• at some point of short loads on CPU - system freezes for about ~5-10 sec, then switches off, and after another ~5-10sec - switches-on again;
  • I do not have a specific identified trigger for such reboots, but noticed that it can be reproduced by running aida64 system stability test for several times in a row for short periods, e.g. 10sec. On 4th of 5th run - the issue reproduces.

Update to the latest version of BIOS 0801 didn't help.

I was thinking that it could be due to overheat protection, but installed water cooler (AIO 240mm) didn't help with the issue resolution, despite it helped to significantly reduce CPU temp.

I have got a ticket registered with ASUS Support, but so far haven't got any meaningful response from them - they are investigating and how much more time it will take them - nobody knows. Meanwhile I am suffering much from this issue especially when you are having a conf call with video and desktop sharing and your PC switches off... It starts to drive me crazy... :mad:

Any ideas what to try?
5 REPLIES 5

AndrewGr
Level 7
By experimental way I have identified so far that disabling "Thermal Monitor" option in "BIOS\Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU - Power Management Control" settings area seems resolves the issue.

At least I was able to run AIDA64 Stability Test 7 times (short runs for 5-10 sec) in a row without automatic system reboot (usually it would reboot on 3rd-5th time already).

System health indicators were the following:

Nate152
Hi AndrewGr

Welcome to the ROG forum !

All good with stability but I see your cpu voltage (VCORE) is 1.492v for a maximum. If the cpu is on auto, try manually setting the cpu voltage to anywhere from 1.15v - 1.25v.

Start with 1.15v, if it fails try 1.20v, if it fails again try 1.25v.

Or, are you overclocking your cpu?

AndrewGr
Level 7
Hi Nate152,

Thank you so much for your reply! Will have a closer look at VCORE voltage settings. Agree, no need to overwhelm cpu with too much voltage indeed. Yes, most likely I set it on Auto in BIOS, will review and adjust it. And nope, no overclocking is done for cpu, all settings in their defaults.

Meanwhile yesterday I have received response from Asus Support with updated BIOS beta-version which should address reported issue (after two weeks from my initial request to them - pretty nice response time 🙂 ). My tests went well on the provided beta-bios, issue didn't reproduce. So hopefully it was resolved. Waiting for the official stable bios version to become available for download soon for this MB.

Thanks!

AndrewGr wrote:
Hi Nate152,

Thank you so much for your reply! Will have a closer look at VCORE voltage settings. Agree, no need to overwhelm cpu with too much voltage indeed. Yes, most likely I set it on Auto in BIOS, will review and adjust it. And nope, no overclocking is done for cpu, all settings in their defaults.

Meanwhile yesterday I have received response from Asus Support with updated BIOS beta-version which should address reported issue (after two weeks from my initial request to them - pretty nice response time 🙂 ). My tests went well on the provided beta-bios, issue didn't reproduce. So hopefully it was resolved. Waiting for the official stable bios version to become available for download soon for this MB.

Thanks!

Hi! I am having the same issue as you, and the thermal monitor setting fixed it, but temps on p95 are crazy (100c on a 280 rad), where did you contact asus for the beta bios?
Also, can you tell me your temps now with p95?

A new update for the B560-I just released.
I installed it and for now no issues, but I don't know if it's the one you got access to.