cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus XIII Hero Bug with WD_BLACK AN1500 NVMe SSD!

Eris_Sovereign_
Level 7
Didn't know where else to report this but 1 minor bug with this motherboard. Anyone know a fix? Also posted this in product feedback but no one replies there so I hope an exception can be made. Thanks in advance.

With the WD_BLACK AN1500 NVMe SSD

Sometimes it reports this error on motherboard post, after restarting after installing / uninstalling a program/driver/update: "your hard disk is about to die switch to a new one before it does" literally, it says something like that. when in the WD dashboard it reports 100/100% hard drive health.

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0605, 3/11/2021

It's that one hard disk bug where it says your hard drive can die pretty sure its not a virus its just sometimes the motherboard can report that. First time in the 20 years I've been using computers I've had a motherboard say that to me, anyway.

Also on my previous motherboard I was using with this hard drive. It would never say that and I was using it with this hard drive for a good few months the motherboard I was using was the ROG Maximus IX Apex.

If anyone knows a fix please let me know, thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Eris_Sovereign_
Level 7
Anyone? Also, if no one knows, its ok. Its not a big deal. As this is the first time this has ever happened to me in 20 years of using computers and the driver for the hard drive itself reports its 100/100% health. Its just after installing/uninstalling software for this computer on this harddrive with this motherboard it reports that error sometimes when going through bootup phase. but after circumventing it by going into bios then exiting it goes away.

that is all.

Thank you.

DjRavix
Level 10
Yeah ... A bit more information on your situation might be useful

If I recall correctly the WD_BLACK AN1500 is an PCIe Card
However it's unclear in what slot it is installed (some PCIe Cards seem to have some problems when Connected to Slots that have PCIe lanes coming from the CPU)
My first recommendation would be to try installing the card in another slot
If you are not able to do this you might want to try set the slot to Gen3 / Gen2 in the bios

I would also recommend updating the Bios to the latest version (0707)
as this might also been a known problem (That Might have been patched already)
You might Also want to Check if WD has a firmware update for the drive
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

Try entering the BIOS Settings, and go into Tools, then click on Asus Secure Erase. Sometimes Secure Erase can be used to fix bad NVMe SSD / SATA SSD.