cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU TDP limiter G513QR

NelchaelSSS
Level 8
Hello I've come with a small question: Is there any way to limit the TDP of the GPU to a fixed value of choice?

I use my laptop connected to a 100W USB-PD car charger to game on it while I'm in my truck, and if I use Silent Mode in Armoury Crate sometimes I get <100w sometimes >100w of total power usage which will wear down the battery.

If I could limit the GPU to 55W (I can already limit the CPU to 15W through Armoury Crate) the total power will be under 100W and I could somewhat game while being mobile.

Also, I won't use a power inverter, the 230W + efficiency losses will eat the battery really fast. At 100W I'll have 2-3h of play without problems.
2 REPLIES 2

Triton_se
Level 8
You could install MSI Afterburner and lower GPU core and memory clocks, don't know if that lowers wattage tho.

Triton.se wrote:
You could install MSI Afterburner and lower GPU core and memory clocks, don't know if that lowers wattage tho.

I tried using MSI Afterburner, but I can only downclock with 500Mhz on both CPU & GPU. That brings the core clock to 1200-1300MHz and the mem clock to ~5000MHz. That brings me to a CPU & GPU draw of ~120W, which is ~150W for the whole laptop.

What I've tried and seems to work is limiting the CPU to 15W from Armoury Crate, then from Nvidia Experience activate Whisper Mode 2.0 with the fan profile in the middle (quiet) and the min fps target to 30.
That brings me to:
Cyberpunk 2077 -> 15W CPU / 30-40W on GPU
The Witcher 3 -> 15W CPU / 35-45W on the GPU
Borderlands 3 -> 15W CPU / 35-45W on the GPU
Red Dead Redemption 2 -> Out of memory error... WUT?
NFS: Heat -> CPU 15W, Menu = 100W on GPU, ingame 35-45W on GPU
Baldurs Gate 3 -> 15W on CPU 35-45W on GPU

Overall a good experience, but sometimes I get some weird framerate timings, like the game slows down for a fraction of a second... weird.

If no one knows how to cap the GPU, then I guess I'll use this method...