Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Boot Operating System from USB stick

    Is it possible to boot an operating system from a USB stick on ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming? I have tried going into the BIOS and changing every setting I can see to boot from USB but I just keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. What am I missing please?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)N/A
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16 - 128GB (4x32)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardOnboard TOSLINK to powered speakers
    MonitorMSI Creator PS321URV (32 in 4k HDR600)
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerLian Li Galahad 360 (3x Uni fan SL120)
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL Black (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad LOFTMAT (16x13 inch) Cushioned Gaming Mat - "The Gaming Slim"
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo Transparent One Encore with Rel HT/1003 Subwoofer
    OS Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 64-bit
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Using Spectrum 400MB service)
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 2x Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM
    Accessory #3 7 Uni Fan SL120 fans for PC case
    Jesseinsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Reputation
    45
    Posts
    370

    Quote Originally Posted by apyds1 View Post
    Is it possible to boot an operating system from a USB stick on ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming? I have tried going into the BIOS and changing every setting I can see to boot from USB but I just keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. What am I missing please?
    What are you trying to do (or install), and what are the steps you took. If you are trying to install Windows then you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows Installation Media using the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. Then you need to plug it in and restart in to the BIOS. Enable secure boot to boot into Windows, then reboot and keep pressing the F8 key to access the Boot Menu.

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesseinsf View Post
    What are you trying to do (or install), and what are the steps you took. If you are trying to install Windows then you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows Installation Media using the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. Then you need to plug it in and restart in to the BIOS. Enable secure boot to boot into Windows, then reboot and keep pressing the F8 key to access the Boot Menu.
    Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay. I am trying to run a linux operating system from a USB stick. Its a EFI folder on the USB stick. However, the BIOS is just does not seem to allow for a boot from USB. Any idea how I can get it to do so?

  4. #4
    TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade
    xeromist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Reputation
    329
    Posts
    7,932

    Just placing a folder isn't enough. You need to format it with a boot sector. There are various tools to do this, just Google a bit for "bootable usb".
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

    < < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)N/A
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16 - 128GB (4x32)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardOnboard TOSLINK to powered speakers
    MonitorMSI Creator PS321URV (32 in 4k HDR600)
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerLian Li Galahad 360 (3x Uni fan SL120)
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL Black (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad LOFTMAT (16x13 inch) Cushioned Gaming Mat - "The Gaming Slim"
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo Transparent One Encore with Rel HT/1003 Subwoofer
    OS Windows 11 Pro for Workstations 64-bit
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Using Spectrum 400MB service)
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 2x Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM
    Accessory #3 7 Uni Fan SL120 fans for PC case
    Jesseinsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Reputation
    45
    Posts
    370

    Quote Originally Posted by apyds1 View Post
    Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay. I am trying to run a linux operating system from a USB stick. Its a EFI folder on the USB stick. However, the BIOS is just does not seem to allow for a boot from USB. Any idea how I can get it to do so?
    Use an app called Ventoy. Once you format the USB stick using Ventoy, you can then drag and drop the Linux ISO on to the USB stick. Then (in BIOS) turn off Secure Boot and do not use CSM support. You should be able to boot to it now. :-)

    Download Ventoy HERE
    Last edited by Jesseinsf; 06-06-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •