cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi) 4-simm stability issues solved?

78Staff
Level 7
So a couple months back, there were several threads onging regarding the C8H and 4 dimms - I was involved for a bit and had tried a few 4x kits but never could stay stable. Since I was still running a 3900X I wound up going back to my GSKILL 3200 4x8 (single rank) dimms and all has been swell since.

BUT, now I finally have a 5950X on the way, so am looking to jump back up to a 4x16 3600 kit if possible? Or are we still seeing stability problems with 4x dual rank DIMM's? I could go 2x32 instead I suppose (which was one of the recommendations) but I thought the 4x dimms is the preferred config on the Ryzen 9's?

I recall some wound up just switching MB's to Aorus or GB - is that still the answer to using 4x DIMMs? I could go that route if needed, but would prefer to avoid and keep the C8III if possible.

This is the kit I was looking at - GSkill Neo F4-3800C14Q-32GTZN, or Royal F4-3600C14Q-32GTRSB, which I think I prefer if going RGB) - but am open to others - RGB or not really doesn't matter.

EDIT - For info, looking at more productivity/content creation/development than gaming - only gaming I do is occaisional MSFS :).
10 REPLIES 10

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Would need more context. I've not had any issues running 4 modules on the Crosshair 8 Hero up to 3800 with my current 5950X or my previous 3950X. Your question is more attributed to 64GB at 3600 and beyond rather than number of ranks, as this is tough on the Infinity Fabric. For best chance of plug and play, you'd need to weigh up whether you need this much memory vs what speed is obtainable for most CPU samples at that density

BIOS 1201.
3950X
4x8GB 3733

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Similar to you I am currently running 4x8 RipJaws 3200 C14 now with the 3900x. Completely stable at DCOP. Previously I had tried a few different 4x16 kits - Trident Z Neo C16 and Royal C14's, but could not keep them stable at DCOP even with quite a bit of tweaking of voltages, per previous guides, etc. All DIMMS passed extensive Kharhu testing.

I might be mis-remembering but I though it was generally determined that the Ryzen memory controller just had a hard time with 4x dual rank DIMMS, which is why several folks wound up changing over to the Aorus Extreme or MSI Godlike. So it was just larger dual rank dimms?

So if sticking with 32GB, then 4x8 dual rank should pose no issues ie the Neo or Royal 3600 C14/C16's? For 64GB, stick with same but in 2x32 3600 C18's is safest option to remain stable?

Ziggiesden
Level 7
I've Trident Z Neo F4-3800C14Q-32GTZN running ok on my Formula VIII board and my Hero VIII has Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 4000 MHz C18 - I've got them both working with AMD Ryzen 9 3950X. However, each new BIOS has been, shall we say, an adventure.

Both kits work but the RAM training has been weird and simply won't fire up on every BIOS - but they do work so good luck with your new setup!

78Staff wrote:
So a couple months back, there were several threads onging regarding the C8H and 4 dimms - I was involved for a bit and had tried a few 4x kits but never could stay stable. Since I was still running a 3900X I wound up going back to my GSKILL 3200 4x8 (single rank) dimms and all has been swell since.

BUT, now I finally have a 5950X on the way, so am looking to jump back up to a 4x16 3600 kit if possible? Or are we still seeing stability problems with 4x dual rank DIMM's? I could go 2x32 instead I suppose (which was one of the recommendations) but I thought the 4x dimms is the preferred config on the Ryzen 9's?

I recall some wound up just switching MB's to Aorus or GB - is that still the answer to using 4x DIMMs? I could go that route if needed, but would prefer to avoid and keep the C8III if possible.

This is the kit I was looking at - GSkill Neo F4-3800C14Q-32GTZN, or Royal F4-3600C14Q-32GTRSB, which I think I prefer if going RGB) - but am open to others - RGB or not really doesn't matter.

EDIT - For info, looking at more productivity/content creation/development than gaming - only gaming I do is occaisional MSFS :).

Escorpiom
Level 9
Strange, the post I made yesterday seem to have disappeared.
This board has serious issues with 4 modules dual rank. Especially Samsung C-die.
I've got 4 x16GB dual rank and they don't run at their rated speed, 3000 Mhz is the most I can do and it's not even stable.

Cheers.

I've had no trouble running G. Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC at 3800mhz @ 1.38V on my Hero with a 3900xt or my Dark Hero at 3800mhz @1.38v with a 5950x

D_BRASCO wrote:
I've had no trouble running G. Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC at 3800mhz @ 1.38V on my Hero with a 3900xt or my Dark Hero at 3800mhz @1.38v with a 5950x

I ran that same set with a 3900X but could not keep it stable at DCOP even with increased voltages and adjustments. Maybe my 3900x was just not suitable for running 4x dual rank dimms.

I guess I need to start over with the 5950x now, past results wouldn't be valid.

Going to order the G.Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC's and start there.

Also figured out my USB Speaker issue, we'll just call it... operator error lol.

78Staff wrote:
I ran that same set with a 3900X but could not keep it stable at DCOP even with increased voltages and adjustments. Maybe my 3900x was just not suitable for running 4x dual rank dimms.

I guess I need to start over with the 5950x now, past results wouldn't be valid.

Going to order the G.Skill F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC's and start there.

Also figured out my USB Speaker issue, we'll just call it... operator error lol.[/QUOTEi]

I also use the F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC set on my crosshair VIII Hero Wifi, with a Ryzen 9 3950x. I just enabled DOCP mode to use the pre-set timings for the set. I haven't tried to manually tweak higher settings, nor will I. Have had zero stability issues in every bios version I've had installed on it up to the current version: 3601. I chose that set because it seemed over all to be the best 4 dimm set for 64GB, with the lowest timings that was in the whitelist (that was available in stock at the time of the purchase).

Escorpiom wrote:
Strange, the post I made yesterday seem to have disappeared.
This board has serious issues with 4 modules dual rank. Especially Samsung C-die.
I've got 4 x16GB dual rank and they don't run at their rated speed, 3000 Mhz is the most I can do and it's not even stable.

Cheers.

This has less to do with the number of ranks. The memory density puts the most strain on the Fabric, thus the CPU sample is important.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

5950x arrived and is definitely all it's cracked up to be :D. Haven't made a decision on memory yet, but my existing RipJaws 4x8 3200 C14 works fine so far.

My Creative Pebble USB Speakers don't work for some reason after the CPU change. Not sure if due to the USB issues that were reported early on, I thought they have that solved? Running latest 3601beta and current AMD Chipset Drivers. Not the end of the world, I can use monitor speakers or switch back to non-USB style speakers. Other USB items appear to be working fine so far, ie Ext WD 14TB, Logi Lightspeed components and Pro Wireless Headset, Sony XQD Card Reader, etc.