cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for input & advice on my upgrades

Norseman
Level 7
Hi all,

I'd like input on an upgrade I'm doing to my current rig. Also looking for advice on whether to use my Asus Xonar DX because this board doesn't have the PCIe x1 in same spot, and I would have to put it in PCIex16_2 slot. Also whether I can use both M2 slots by putting an older Intel NVMe card for an emergency backup (will explain).
But here's my current specs & what I'm switching over to:

Thermaltake Core V21 case
Asus Maximus VIII Gene motherboard -> replacing it with Asus Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi
Intel i5 6600 (overclocked 31%) -> replacing it with Intel i7 1070 (overclock tbd)
Corsair H100 V2 water Cooler -> replacing it with Corsair H100i Elite
16GB ram (G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200) -> replacing it with Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB (2×16G)
Asus RTX2080 video card
Corsair LE SSD 480GB (2X) ->Adding one WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe
Windows 10 64bit Home edition
Triple Asus monitors
Samsung Odessey+ VR headset

So this PC is strictly for race simulation & flight sims only. Any thoughts on what challenges I may be faced with?

Cheers,

Jack
2 REPLIES 2

Banditt1976
Level 8
Other than the limited cooling options you are going to have with that case, all the hardware you are upgrading looks like it should work good together.

The Z490-G has an PCIe x1 slot underneath the first PCIe x16 slot. You could install the Xonar DX there. I'm thinking that the sound card could be still better than the onboard sound although it does have DTS Sound Unbound. I guess you will have to figure that out yourself on which sounds better 🙂
Other than that the upgrade looks good.