cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coil whine ROG RTX 3080

Mutaz2019
Level 8
Hi;
I have RTX3080-O10G-GAMING the GPU Boost Clock : 1905 MHz (Default)
when i played games the GPU Boost Clock : 2020 MHz and i heard coil whine
how i make default 1905 MHz ???
and Why is it rising high ?
rtx 3080 bios V5
windows 10 pro 21H1 64 bit
nvidia driver 466.63
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The GPU Boost Clock and available offset merely sets the maximum target frequency. The actual frequency under load is controlled by GPU Boost and will scale based on voltage, power, and thermal conditions. If wanting to lower the maximum obtainable boost clock, the GPU Clock offset slider will allow you to do so, albeit at the cost of performance.

Coil whine is related to both frequency and current and is often the result of a combination of certain hardware (graphics cards and PSUs) and is more prevalent at high current workloads, so will vary from system to system
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

The GPU Boost Clock and available offset merely sets the maximum target frequency. The actual frequency under load is controlled by GPU Boost and will scale based on voltage, power, and thermal conditions. If wanting to lower the maximum obtainable boost clock, the GPU Clock offset slider will allow you to do so, albeit at the cost of performance.

Coil whine is related to both frequency and current and is often the result of a combination of certain hardware (graphics cards and PSUs) and is more prevalent at high current workloads, so will vary from system to system

I installed afterburner and GPU TweakII
i tried to lower GPU Boost Clock to 1875 MHz the issue still exits (( no effect GPU Boost Clock rising to 2020 MHz))
the graphic card have two modes i tried P-mode and Q-mode the issue still exits
i tried many nvidia drivers versions (use DDU) the issue still exits
Why is rtx 3080 GPU Boost Clock rising to 2020 MHz ???