cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming w/ OC'd i7 2600K/GTX 1070. What upgrade(s) needed for a better FPS experience?

Schooler
Level 7
Budget: Trying to decide whether to upgrade just GPU or CPU/mobo/RAM, so about $500-600
Main uses of intended build: Straight gaming (RealTemp and MSI Afterburner running along with game)
Parts required: CPU or GPU upgrade
Previous build information (list details of parts):
i7 2600K @ OC'd 4.7GHz, Maximus IV Gene-Z, Noctua D15S, EVGA GTX 1070 Black Edition (OC'd), 16GB HyperX 1866MHz RAM
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080, 144MHz
Storage requirements: 1T SDD
Will you be overclocking: yes
Any motherboard requirements: If I need a mobo, then 3 fan headers in addition to CPU fan header

I been running this system for a long while, pulling about 80-90 FPS on CoDCW Zombies, without ray tracing enabled (which I'm okay with). My CPU runs about 70-75% (keeping an eye on all 8 cores in game), GPU about 75-80% -- both stats via RivaTuner. CPU temp is 68-69 degrees. So, from what I can tell, I'm not bottlenecked.

But, I've played with the idea of upgrading in order to achieve higher FPSs, looking at both the 8700K and Ryzen 5 5600x. Would rather upgrade CPU/mobo/RAM -- IF NEEDED -- instead of GPU (since these are ridiculously expensive).

I guess I'm wondering whether upgrading the CPU/mobo/RAM would be worthwhile if I kept the 1070. I mean, I want to see a huge increase in FPS. Or is it better to just keep the 2600K and upgrade my GPU.

Will be playing 1080p.

Thoughts?
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
While that is an older CPU you're still likely to see the most general benefit from a GPU upgrade, especially if you get something on the higher end. But you're going to want to upgrade that other stuff eventually. It's just a matter of how soon you want to get it all done. If you don't want to deal with the GPU shortage and you feel like you can wait until early next year then you could upgrade the system now and the GPU next year.

The 1070 is no slouch. I'm still on a 1080 for the moment and I typically game at 1440p so not that different from you. When I need some more frames I tinker with individual graphics settings. Often you won't even notice if you choose carefully. I'll replace it when I can but I consider myself lucky that I have something that works well until I can get my hands on something newer.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…