cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero Xiii Nightmare To Recognize 6 hard drives

phatmonkey
Level 9
It was a complete nightmare to set up the Hero Xiii to recognize 6 hard drives, after booting up for the first time after setting bios it only recognized 4 hard drives, so a powered down, fiddled with cables for ages, making sure everything was seated correctly. Booted up again and this time still only 4 hard drives but included was 2 of the drives that were not detected the first time.
At that point I knew it was not the cables and had a feeling it might have something to do with these M.2 nonsense as it does state if u are using 2 of them then 2 SATA ports will be disabled but I was not using any M.2 drives. In the Bios I played around with the M.2 / 3 configs which are set to auto, then booted up again and this time I had 5 drives, so I knew I was on the right path, for some reason the AUTO is not AUTOMATICALLY working lol. I then decided to try a different combo and still only 5 drives.
I then did a bios update to the latest version, reset the config to AUTO and booted up, back to 4 hard drives, right back into bios, this time I set the PCIEEX_16_13 configuration to DISABLE then booted up and now I got 6 hard drives.

While I am ranting, as a side note, does anyone know if I can enable the bottom PCIE slot as I use a firewire card, at mo it is not recognised in the slot which makes me think its disabled, the 16x one directly under my GPU works, it is a 2080ti so it covers the smaller PCIE slot.

Peace lol
DE-Stressing
Ryan

PS yes I spelt HERO wrong in the title
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

7 REPLIES 7

blukas69
Level 7
I Believe m.2_1 and m.2_2 are for gen 11 chips only. Don't think you can use those 2 slots with a gen 10 cpu. Could that be part of the problem?

blukas69 wrote:
I Believe m.2_1 and m.2_2 are for gen 11 chips only. Don't think you can use those 2 slots with a gen 10 cpu. Could that be part of the problem?

Yeah I do not use M.2 drives, I only have 5 SSDs and one SHD 🙂
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

DjRavix
Level 10
phatmonkey wrote:
It was a complete nightmare to set up the Hero Xiii to recognize 6 hard drives, after booting up for the first time after setting bios it only recognized 4 hard drives, so a powered down, fiddled with cables for ages, making sure everything was seated correctly. Booted up again and this time still only 4 hard drives but included was 2 of the drives that were not detected the first time.
At that point I knew it was not the cables and had a feeling it might have something to do with these M.2 nonsense as it does state if u are using 2 of them then 2 SATA ports will be disabled but I was not using any M.2 drives. In the Bios I played around with the M.2 / 3 configs which are set to auto, then booted up again and this time I had 5 drives, so I knew I was on the right path, for some reason the AUTO is not AUTOMATICALLY working lol. I then decided to try a different combo and still only 5 drives.
I then did a bios update to the latest version, reset the config to AUTO and booted up, back to 4 hard drives, right back into bios, this time I set the PCIEEX_16_13 configuration to DISABLE then booted up and now I got 6 hard drives.

While I am ranting, as a side note, does anyone know if I can enable the bottom PCIE slot as I use a firewire card, at mo it is not recognised in the slot which makes me think its disabled, the 16x one directly under my GPU works, it is a 2080ti so it covers the smaller PCIE slot.

Peace lol
DE-Stressing
Ryan

PS yes I spelt HERO wrong in the title

From digging a bit into the Manual I found that the Bottom X16 Slot will actually disable some Sata ports (Sata6G_12 & Sata6G_34)
There is no way around that that
if the 2080ti you have is a 3 slot card you will not be able to use the X1 slot (this slot would have been your best option)

You can also setup the GPU to run at x8 and use the other CPU connected slot for your Firewire card (There might be a small performance drop on your GPU)

Then there is also M.2_4 that will disable your Sata6G_56 if populated

these kind of things are the downside of these kind of platforms that are more aimed towards the regular consumer (HEDT is a lot better)
But since current HEDT are already old and Outdated I understand why some people are forced into these platforms

The Other Question here is do you still need your Mbox 3 Pro or can you get by with both Focusrite units ???
if so than a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter might even be a good option
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

DjRavix wrote:
From digging a bit into the Manual I found that the Bottom X16 Slot will actually disable some Sata ports (Sata6G_12 & Sata6G_34)
There is no way around that that
if the 2080ti you have is a 3 slot card you will not be able to use the X1 slot (this slot would have been your best option)

You can also setup the GPU to run at x8 and use the other CPU connected slot for your Firewire card (There might be a small performance drop on your GPU)

Then there is also M.2_4 that will disable your Sata6G_56 if populated

these kind of things are the downside of these kind of platforms that are more aimed towards the regular consumer (HEDT is a lot better)
But since current HEDT are already old and Outdated I understand why some people are forced into these platforms

The Other Question here is do you still need your Mbox 3 Pro or can you get by with both Focusrite units ???
if so than a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter might even be a good option

Hi there, thanks for the reply, I am ok with the firewire card being right under the 2080ti but I would have liked more space hence why I would have preferred the bottom PCIE slot, but no matter, as for my MBOX PRO 3 sometimes it is more efficient in heavy music sessions as firewire uses less CPU and has a more stable CPU usage compared to USB that bounces all over the place, the audio latency is also better . But in the future I could look towards thunderbolt audio devices now these boards have it as native onboard, but anyway thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Ryan

phatmonkey wrote:
Hi there, thanks for the reply, I am ok with the firewire card being right under the 2080ti but I would have liked more space hence why I would have preferred the bottom PCIE slot, but no matter, as for my MBOX PRO 3 sometimes it is more efficient in heavy music sessions as firewire uses less CPU and has a more stable CPU usage compared to USB that bounces all over the place, the audio latency is also better . But in the future I could look towards thunderbolt audio devices now these boards have it as native onboard, but anyway thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Ryan

Yeah that is true but USB 2.0 interfaces have become a lot better and firewire interfaces are really hard to find these days (Not to forget that you need a TI based firewire card since those work best with almost every audio interface there is)
I had an Motu 828 MK3 that had a failing PSU (Probably lightning damage)
After that A Presonus Studio 192 that was really bad (USB 3.0 issues with this one worked fine on USB 2.0)
And Now a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Mk2 that has been rock solid for years now
I might also look into A Thunderbolt interface in the near future but everything is going running fine for now

phatmonkey wrote:
Yeah I do not use M.2 drives, I only have 5 SSDs and one SHD 🙂

Funny thing here ... I am actually using 3 NVMe M.2 Drives (Samsung 980 Pro's to be precise)
And I can tell you coming from Samsung 860 Pro Drives ... They are a lot faster
I was actually used to have to wait for sample based instruments (Halion / Kontakt / EWQL Play / Nexus / Omnisphere ect)
now they load like instantly (Some older plugins actually seem to have a cap on loading speeds but others load insanely fast)
the only issue you will encounter is that there is currently a limit on capacity if that is what you need (Believe 4 TB is the largest capacity M.2 Drives that exist)
ASUS Maximus 13 Extreme
Intel i9 11900K
Corsair Dominater Platinum RGB
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2 X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Corsair AX1200I
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
XSPC RX480 + XSPC RS280
4 X Corsair SP120 PWM OEM Fans
2 X Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
2 X Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap
2 X Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap
1 X Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap

It's a Z590 limitation within the Chipset. Whenever we use M2_3 & M2_4 it will take over the lanes which are wired to SATA ports, so SATA_5 and SATA_6 will be unusable if you plugged NVMe onto M2_3 and M2_4.

The one which doesn't cut SATA lanes AFAIK is the MSI Z590 Ace & Godlike. All Asus board have lane sharing within the motherboard.

Goghor wrote:
It's a Z590 limitation within the Chipset. Whenever we use M2_3 & M2_4 it will take over the lanes which are wired to SATA ports, so SATA_5 and SATA_6 will be unusable if you plugged NVMe onto M2_3 and M2_4.

The one which doesn't cut SATA lanes AFAIK is the MSI Z590 Ace & Godlike. All Asus board have lane sharing within the motherboard.

Yeah but like I mentioned I do not have any M2 / 4 drives and it still only gave me 4 hard drives out of 6, it's all sorted now but it was a massive headache 🙂